Vehicle weapon targeting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zaknafein

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
No, It will be BETTER then XMP if it doesn't. At least not to the extent that it did. The harby was a useless vehicle that was only good for straight-line flat ground get-a-ways... which were extremely rare in any map.

The raptor's physics blow. Sorry to be blunt, but I can't comprehend the love affair that some people have with it. It spins out for the most ridiculous reasons, has a tendency to lose all its forward momentum, and takes extreme damage for the slightest of terrain interactions.

The guns on any vehicle where basically useless while moving on non-perfectly flat surfaces. Tell me, how many mappers put flat surfaces in their map? I think sirocco may be the only one.

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
Heh, I was joking :) Yeah it is useless but that's what it's known for.
The Harbie is actually a decent suppression weapon if you park it in the right area. The rockets move too slowly to be a good weapon against someone who can dodge, but they're very good at hitting anything over a large area, like deployable farms. (See turret farms in Rampant? Get in Harbie turret, aim backwards, fire.)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I think these problems you all mention with the vehicles had to do with shoddy collision. If you've played 2k4 you know vehicles "work" much better, so I expect the ported vehicles from XMP will probably "handle" much much better without really changing the "feel" of how they drive.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
hmm... it might not matter much, but i drive the raptor like a demon, but that is because i have got used to it.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Zaknafein said:
Yeah, but U2XMP can only do it 1st person. I actually found 3rd person easier <shrug>

u2xmp can do both, at least I thought so. I've always used 3rd person in u2xmp

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Ah ha..that is correct sir. You were'nt specific. The raptor could be over deadly if the aim was better. Same for the jugger.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
there's a "filter" in front of the raptor turret view, which largely limits visibility. It seems to be designed to handicap that weapon. Now 3rd person would sorta defeat that (with certain trade offs).

honestly I think it's fair to limit the gunner to 1st person. u2xmp was done that way for a reason, and I agree with it.

If I may go a little OT here. It seems a lot of people ask for "improvements" that would benefit certain players, which in turn makes it harder on these players' opponents; i.e. disturbing the balance.
Case in point: if aiming the turrets was easier, the chances of the car winning a duel against a pair of "pedestrians" is greater, because of the added firepower. Not to mention the fact that the passengers can get out anytime unscratched. But before you ask for that change, think of yourself as a pedestrian, instead of a passenger of the car. Would you still want it? Do you think it's fair to give the car more advantage than they have now? Is it better to follow the ways of UT2K4 instead of U2XMP?

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I don't think it's so much a matter of "following the ways of 2k4" as addressing what is best for THIS GAME, and whether 2k4's implements would help that along.

One thing to keep in mind, in Onslaught you can spawn instantly at any point on the map you control. In XMP you could be waiting almost 20 seconds to spawn somewhere (MAPPERS, STAGGER YOUR DEPLOY TIMES! :rant: ). For that REASON, and not because one game is "better" than the other, it may in fact give too much advantage to the driver to give him that much more control.

Last edited:

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
takes skill to drive a raptor
keep it that way

please not the real arcade style of 2k4