Vehicle weapon targeting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zaknafein

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
Will it be the XMP way of actually being inside the vehicle or the UT2004 way of being quasi-3rd person?

To tell you the truth ... I think the 2004 way is a better choice.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
If things remain consistent, it will be the same as 2k4 vehicles in terms of viewpoint and mousewheel-zoom. After all, FMI has already stated that using 2k4 vehicle code means that technically, vehicles are repairable (good luck finding a link-gun tho).

[pet]owl

Jul 13, 2004
hmm to be honest I HOPE ITS ALL THE SAME. we all have our opinions but i say improve whats already there.

trogetta

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
As much that 3rd person is "better" to some people, I believe 1st person is the way to go, seeing as how it seeems much more "real" for lack of a better word. Plus, it was always something that helkped engross me in XMP, the fact that when you're in the gun turret on a raptor, and the drivers goin crazy on hills, it SHULD be hella hard to aim, not easy like in 3rd person

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
It wouldn't be so hard to aim in first-person if the XMP vehicles would actually, I don't know, shoot where you are aiming?

I'm going to have to totally recalibrate my brain for the UT conversion, I'm used to shooting where the vehicles shoot (usually down and to the right a bit), not where they aim.

Zaknafein

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
trogetta said:
As much that 3rd person is "better" to some people, I believe 1st person is the way to go, seeing as how it seeems much more "real" for lack of a better word. Plus, it was always something that helkped engross me in XMP, the fact that when you're in the gun turret on a raptor, and the drivers goin crazy on hills, it SHULD be hella hard to aim, not easy like in 3rd person

The reason it's better dawned on me ... its because you can see the damn terrain your driving over and it really goes a LONG way to compensate for its effects on your aim.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I would say techs should heal vehicles by "using" them, in much the same way as you "use" a gen/deploy to hack it, or players "use" each other to heal/ammo up. As it is, healing shields is one of the most useless parts of the game.

I know it's not very compatible with 2k4's method of link-gunning it, but the problem is, the techs need every weapon in their arsenal to be effective vs. other classes. Even forcewalls I would not give up to get a linkgun.

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
\/\/0RF said:
I would say techs should heal vehicles by "using" them, in much the same way as you "use" a gen/deploy to hack it, or players "use" each other to heal/ammo up.

Good plan. But by doing that you would no longer be able to get into the vehicle. As I mostly play gunner, I could live with that, but I'm sure other people may not ;)

Well I guess at least you don't have to give up one of your weapons :D

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
ya I know, it's the old catch-22. The bright side to it would be (for those who seek balance) that you would have to be right up on the vehicle to repair it, which would sort of hamper the concept of vehicles being trailed by ppl beefing up the armor so it's more or less invincible.

I guess we'll just have to go on being careful how we drive :D

trogetta

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Zaknafein said:
The reason it's better dawned on me ... its because you can see the damn terrain your driving over and it really goes a LONG way to compensate for its effects on your aim.

Maybe so, but I guiess im thinking too realistcily here, but I find one of the better parrts of XMP was that vehicles didnd't "pwn" all. A single ranger could take down a full raptor with some patience. This was largly due to the not super steady aiming system. When your'e in third person, the effects of bumpty terrain are VIRTUALLY eliminated on the gunner, not fully, but largly. Now in a first person turret, it's how it should be, you should not be able to drive up and down sand dunes while easily targeting an enemy...it should require a lot of skill for something like that.

I think that's what set XMP apart, well partially, it was different in many ways...but the intricate balance between the foot soldiers and vehicles. The whole third person aiming system gives the gunner, an even greater advantage than he already has..being in a vehicle..pretty much a doublt weapon. OH well, we'll see what the modders do

btw

Vote Trog!

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
hmm... in truth when i was learning to drive the raptor, first person was the easiest way, then once i got good enough i went 3rd person all the way.

Jaybo

Clanbase UTXMP Supervisor
Oct 11, 2002
www.12monkeyz.com
Although this may seem unreasonable to comprehend....I hate 2k4 vehicles and love XMP's.

The random nature of boosting over bumpy terrain always gives you a Colin McRae experience and not a Michael Shumacher one. I think its perfect as it is.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I think that experience can be replicated without adding all the headaches brought on by the suboptimal collision, cars spinning tires, doing donuts on hills, rolling the harby, etc