Vehicle handling and other things....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Reeps

Severe thumbs up (y)
Sep 2, 2003
WI
Visit site
Iceboy2003 said:
I think you guys have said some of the original maps are getting converted... Is it too early to give hints as to which ones? (I know FreeFall is gone)
I'd say most of them. I know the original Legend Level Designers have given the okay on converting. So far probably 3 or 4 maps have been fully converted, and more are on the way. :)

Also, I'm not opposed to the air vehicle idea. I do think, though, that new maps should be created especially for these vehicles. Having an air vehicles in Nakoja, for example, would ruin many aspects of it. From my point, I think keeping the base of xmp intact is the main goal, but people can always make mutators to add more to the game.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
/me wrinks at dandel, looks away from phalanx

As for aerial vehicles, I totally agree with Jaspeer here. It's the same with all vehicles, you put the vehicle in a map only if it fits. Harby in Nakoja? I hope you get the point. Making a helicopter does not mean it will appear on every map. It will mean the mapper can create environments where the helicopter can be used.
Having that said, XMP vehicles have been considered a good balance even against players on foot (pedestrians aren't totally owned by cars, it's not Carmageddon). So adding an aerial vehicle and the proper environment for it would require a lot of careful planning if that balance is to be retained.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
takwu said it correctly, my point with how i made the racing raptors i coded as to give mappers some vehicles for raptor racing maps :).

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
If you add air vehicles, then you should also make rocket turrets have heat seeking rockets. That really would add an extra dimention to setting up node defence. :)

Pro^Kp

[DCSB]Callisto/Talon|Se7eN
Jan 24, 2004
lol

Force Walls .......Check
Mines ...............Check
Apache Helicopter with Minigun and heat Seeking Missles........Check

Zaknafein

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
1) At the moment the vehicles feel more like UT vehicles (smoother), but don't worry... the Raptor still handles like a Raptor.

This scares me ... every time I get in a raptor and it pulls one of those crazy 'for no reason' spin outs ... or lands and desides that forward momentum is overated ... I say to myself "Thank god UTXMP is coming out and will fix this"

Was I lieing to myself?

If you add air vehicles, then you should also make rocket turrets have heat seeking rockets. That really would add an extra dimention to setting up node defence.

Just make Gunners Lock-On rockets worth a damn and it would solve this problem before it starts.

[BBF]Elessar

Feb 18, 2004
I'm kind of torn here though... part of me will enjoy a smoother ride... but you guys can't tell me you didn't enjoy the months of finally getting used to that damn Raptor's crazy handling. To me it's part of the odd, yet fun uniqueness of our beloved game.

trogetta

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I Think the only air vehicle that should be added was the one they drew a concept for....the trooper transport thing. I believe that'd keeep balance fine, but still help out everybody, by making a medium (speed)...reletivly high armor, and perhaps only a very light weapon..and can transport maybe 6 people

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Well if given permission we always have several dropships in Unreal2 that we could choose from aswell the wicked Marine dropship:p

DryHump

Sep 5, 2003
Lincoln, RI
Bishop gantry said:
Well if given permission we always have several dropships in Unreal2 that we could choose from aswell the wicked Marine dropship:p

Like I said earlier, I would like to see air vehciles in stricly a support role ie; troop transport, fast response repair/medical, etc. Maybe a hover-cycle type thing that is reminiscent of what they were going to put into the original Unreal Championship and 2k4.

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
Pro^Kp said:
lol

Force Walls .......Check
Mines ...............Check
Apache Helicopter with Minigun and heat Seeking Missles........Check

Wrong way round. I was talking about the rocket turrets deployables that techs drop. Just leave a couple around the map, and they start shooting at anyone that flies nearby :)

Myren

Lurking User
Aug 19, 2004
www.alienintels.com
out of sick curiosity, for freefall: can you deconstruct maps or would someone have to copy all the positions?

freefall aint freefall unless its freefall. not really a faithfully convertable map, unlike many; it requires very exact specs. that is of course unless you started stacking rangers on top of each other to measure height.

i've already started a possy who'se sworn their life to help track down and beat the living tar out of anyone who thoughtcrimes or actually even dares to start creating tribes map conversions.

Myren

Lurking User
Aug 19, 2004
www.alienintels.com
i'd wager the raptor will be a raptor, except it wont go dr jeckle & mr hyde on you're ass anymore because you happened across a vertex or edge. still spin like a beast. i would like to talk with the engineer who decided the spring rates should be so high though. ;)

it always reminds me of the police cruiser in one of the CyberPunk chrome books.

Nekrataal

Gamer's Dungeon Community
Jan 6, 2003
www.gamersdungeon.de
1) Honestly the feel for vehicles in UT2004 is better !by far! than in U2XMP so why not use it and make a Harby more fun to drive ? Raptor was OK in U2XMP. I think there are a lot of features in UT2004 that can make XMP even more of a great experience than under U2.

2) Maps should be of all sizes. As always online gaming will decide which ones get popular.

3) Air vehicles certainly are and should be an option with XMP. I agree with some ppl before that said it depends on the map. Currently all known maps might not work with aircrafts but imagine other maps with a deep river in the middle where aircrafts become crucial to gain more energy or cap or whatever. Think of (see 1) the potential UT2004 capabilities can give XMP !!!

Mango

May 24, 2004
www.gamersdungeon.de
Nekrataal said:
1) Honestly the feel for vehicles in UT2004 is better !by far! than in U2XMP so why not use it and make a Harby more fun to drive ? Raptor was OK in U2XMP. I think there are a lot of features in UT2004 that can make XMP even more of a great experience than under U2.
True. Carefully invented, they really could push UTXMP.

:rolleyes: But actually, Nek wants a Formula 1 alike game, right? ... :lol:

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
The big problem with air vehicles is techs and maybe rangers are going to have a lot of problems taking one down. Only gunners would have a chance as they can lock rockets on to them. Maybe a slow moving and unarmed troop transport would be ok, but anythink that moves fast, or has good weapons is likly to upset the balance.

I've always liked the way it's so easy to destroy XMP vehicles which ever class you are. It stops them from dominating the game. Try playing on a BF1942 public, and watch how you will see most of your team standing round waiting for a particular veicle to respawn, and tking each other when it gets there.

moeptier

Jan 7, 2004
Naib said:
The big problem with air vehicles is techs and maybe rangers are going to have a lot of problems taking one down. Only gunners would have a chance as they can lock rockets on to them. Maybe a slow moving and unarmed troop transport would be ok, but anythink that moves fast, or has good weapons is likly to upset the balance.

I agree with you - but what about well placed manned turrets?