UT3 Vehicle DM-Throne

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jelle Mees

Mar 15, 2008
Background is ugly. So many places you can get stuck. Surroundings becomes blur, then sharp again, then blur again, etc...

Oh yeah, and framerate on this map sucks. I shouldn't be getting framedrops to 35fps....

Sir_Squiggles

Knight of the Wound Table.
Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Uh, the map isn't that big. There is distance fog, but I don't want it impairing the players vision, especially if the area is so small. I don't think that could be the problem, surely my map should have better performance than Warfare maps (in theory)

Grogan

Sure. Just add some distance fog and it's fixed....

Some of us like to be able to see.

DM-Throne is not overly excessive and if it slows down for you, then something is wrong on your end. It's pretty smooth here.

Maybe you're running into driver issues? For example, there are scenes in UT3 that have problems (stuttering). Check out the DM map Gateway, and in the forest waterfall area if it slows down there or stutters/freezes momentarily it's your Nvidia drivers.

I'm using these drivers that I got from nzone:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ut3_downloads.html

ForceWare Beta Release 169.28 is provided below for customers experiencing issues with the retail version of Unreal Tournament 3. This driver is only recommended as an update for these customers. All other customers are recommended to use the latest WHQL or Beta drivers offered

It just so happens that my other games also work perfectly with these drivers so it will be a cold day in Hell when I change drivers again. Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty 2, Crysis, Bioshock

Grogan

I usually keep "smooth frame rate" enabled in UT3, and I get the full, unwavering 62 FPS in Throne with graphics settings sliders at maximum, at 1280x1024. I'll have to uncap it sometime and see what I can get in Throne. (I tested that in some other maps and I get between 100 and 130 in maps like Deck)

I get 20 FPS in Crysis with graphics settings all at "very high" (motion blur disabled... I hate that crap) at 1280x1024. I don't actually like Crysis except for the rich graphics, so I just play it in god mode to enjoy the scenery at maximum and take the 20 fps in the arse.

I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600, running at stock 2.4 GHz, with 4 Gb of DDR2 RAM and an 8800GTS 640 Mb that I overclock to 675/999 MHz for GPU and memory bus respectively. That's less than Jelle's specs.

Grogan

Being the king of procrastination, instead of getting work done I booted to Windows to play games. I disabled the smooth framerate setting and played a couple of rounds of DM-Throne and I get between 70 and 160 FPS depending on where I am in the map. It was above 100 most of the time. 1280x1024, with detail sliders at maximum. Post processing "Default".

Jelle Mees

Mar 15, 2008
Some of us like to be able to see.

DM-Throne is not overly excessive and if it slows down for you, then something is wrong on your end. It's pretty smooth here.

I think that the driver is doing just fine:
[SCREENSHOT]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff312/JelleMees/Unreal%20Tournament%203/sshot-15-2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

But not on this map...

Grogan

Well, Apex is a rather featureless map (with respect to textures and bump mapping and stuff I mean). Elegant for that purpose, but it's really nothing to compare to as you really should get good frame rates in a map like that. I can't test at 1600x1200 because my LCD only does 1280x1024. Personally I prefer more detail, but Apex would probably be a nice map for multiplayer.

The driver issue I spoke of would only manifest itself in certain spots, in certain maps. As I said I had severe slow downs in DM-Gateway, and one of the Warfare maps actually used to freeze.

Jelle Mees

Mar 15, 2008
I play about 10 new maps every day and I am sure that performance on this map is not driver related. But hey, the ones that do like it and can play it smoothly, I wish you all a great time :)