UT3 Vehicle DM-Throne

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
[SCREENSHOT]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/osirisrt/mapproblems.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

1. get blocked/stuck
2. blocked/stuck
3. floating jump pad
4. mesh collision (or blocking volume) too big, you get blocked and cant move.
5. maybe try fixing the horrible tiling ?
6. hole, but mesh collision is off (or blocking volume) so you fall down

into hole and cant get out.
7. get stuck behind water wheel.
8. water volume too high (as seen by 'floating' slime gun blobs
9. rock/mesh collision/blocking too much, you fall off too easily or cant
move/access too well.

thats me done. i probly could have found you more problems, but im too into my own map at moment, which ill be showing off around here soon.

:D

Last edited:

Sir_Squiggles

Knight of the Wound Table.
Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
In my defence, you are really good at finding those.

1:It's one way anyway, you scallywag. the wooden planks overlapping a bit makes sense to me.

2:Will check >_<

3:I'd like it if people could just put up with the couple of those around the place, If I lower them they just snap back up, so I'd have to set up blocking volumes that match the mesh and thats annoying, so can you just pretend that they're magic jump pads?

4. I guess I'll make a blocking volume for that instead of the meshes collision >_<

5. Yessir

6. I'll get that >_<

7. How did you DO that? o_O I thought I made boundaries blocking the way in. Should I raise them, or did you get in some other sneaky way... btw, if you find the wall plastered with my level screen you get a cookie. Well, not a real cookie.

8. >_< having difficulty leveling out the water. It's not a normal mesh... I'll put it back the way it was, but that makes it slightly off downriver.

9. If thats where I think it is I don't know why you want to climb up there. Lets say it's too steep. There's nothing useful up that rock.

When you post your level, I want you to know that I am going to be going over it with a toothcomb looking for sequence breaks >_<
Actually, you might want to leave some in there for me for my self esteem.

Sorry the level has so many issues but...I am a n00b :p

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
1. but i would want the choice of going backwards though. :)
3. change your snap settings , they shouldnt be jumping back out of place, sorry, im sure some ppl will accept them as they are, but they do look out of place.
7.i just ran around back there thinking it was a 'behind the water wheel' route, and then i got stuck. :) i would just block it off totally.
9. maybe, but the fact theres other ledges as you look down and start jumping down, it kinda makes sense to want to jump on there, but i keep falling off :D

noobs fine. lol i was new to this about 10 years ago too.

im sure people will find problems with my map, but ill do my damndest to make sure general 'map' errors arent there beforehand :) im into about my 5th week on the map. i dont usually rush them and take my time to spruce things up, make sure things flow well, and all that usual crap lol i reckon another couple of weeks before i want it testing, and then longer till im done.

Last edited:

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Lighting has been tweaked a bit, a bit more variation in the valley and less bloom, and less vivid in the cave.

1. get blocked/stuck-just hop over the plank of wood.
2. blocked/stuck-fix'd
3. floating jump pad-less obvious >_< I can reposition it but it snaps back when I rebuild.
4. mesh collision (or blocking volume) too big, you get blocked and cant move.-fix'd
5. maybe try fixing the horrible tiling ?-fix'd
6. hole, but mesh collision is off (or blocking volume) so you fall down-fix'd

into hole and cant get out.
7. get stuck behind water wheel.-fix'd
8. water volume too high (as seen by 'floating' slime gun blobs-fix'd
9. rock/mesh collision/blocking too much, you fall off too easily or cant
move/access too well.-it's a rugged rock, if you want to go up that way (which is well out of your way) you just need to hop up it a bit.

Finally, I've tried to decorate the big necris building better. Hopefully it's ok to final soon.

Grogan

I tried the new one last night and it's looking pretty good. The inside of that building looks much better, and the stair cases too.

As for the floating jump pad, that's a pretty good height for it (I seem to land right on it). It does look silly floating there though... perhaps if you can't lower it, put something under it like a stone or bump in the surface? Or perhaps you've already tried that with bad results. (I know nothing about mapping)

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
You land right on it so that you can't get a good look at it's floatyness :p
I guess you managed anyway.Yah, I'll raise that a bit in the next version (A final or another beta if there area few more complaints in the next week)
Thanks for all your help Grogan (and osirisrt-but spelling your name right is giving me minor headaches btw. First I try to remember it exactly, then I have a stab at spelling it, then I go up a bit and check it but when I scroll down here and forget by the time I'm here. Then I finally copy and paste ashamedly). No one's really commenting on the thread here: http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=601112
I would have rathered more people tested it for kinks. You guys are godsends. I did get Setheran though. I love him. (Don't tell anybody >_>)

Grogan

Well, I try to land right on it when jumping, but I don't have to and even so, I still see it.

As for the post processing/bloom, I don't find it too bad as long as I don't have the game set to "intense". (which I do for certain maps, like DM-Krodan... it's one that really benefits.)

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
The main change now is flow...I've gotten rid of a way OUT of the valley and added a way IN due to concerns of all the action happening in the forest.

Edit: Dana nana nana nana BATMAN

Grogan

Sorry Squiggles, but I think that the removal of that jump pad in the valley was a bad move. That was a critical entrance to the forest area, and did away with the sequence of jumps through that waterfall and stuff... the thing I liked best in that map. Now the only way to get there is to go through the teleporter that leads under water in the blue crystal area, climbing out of the water and using the jump pads to ascend. By doing that, you have ruined the flow of that map as I perceive the meaning of the word.

I'm going back to your previous beta.

P.S. Also, three times in the map I spawned on that ledge beside the waterfall, but there's no jump pad there. All I can do is jump down into the valley. That seems pointless.

Last edited:

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
P.S. Also, three times in the map I spawned on that ledge beside the waterfall, but there's no jump pad there. All I can do is jump down into the valley. That seems pointless.
Ah, now. Why spawn anywhere. Because it's fairly far from other spawn points and down below was crowded. It's hard to fit that many spawn points.

Anyway, the concern was that the valley was mostly empty of combat, and I'm trying to fix that, because I like the valley. The jumppads up the waterfall were placed as a means of getting around the map easily, but the problem was the bots love it and get out of the valley ASAP. Maybe I can tell them to ignore it. I figure humans might hang around more in the valley anyway because it's pretty.

The other changes were a way to teleport from the forest to the valley, and a higher proportion of spawns in the valley. I have to ask; what was the traffic like in the two main areas?

Grogan

I don't know, I didn't see that as a problem. To me there was enough action in the valley before. I play with 9 bots of my choosing (Akasha, Alanna, Jester, Kira, Scar, Gnasher, Thannis, Barktooth, and the bald bastard that says "I shed tiny black tears for you" - can't think of his name right now), with difficulty "Experienced" most of the time.

There were usually vipers in use down there too. I spent time in both areas and I loved the cascade of jumps up the waterfall.

Adding the teleport in the forest that goes to the valley is good. Making more spawns happen in the valley is good. Spawning on that ledge wouldn't bother me if there were jump pads (choice on what to do).

Grogan

Broken links (you copied and pasted the text of the URLs from a vbulletin post, which copies the truncated text, shortened with ... in the URL :lol: ). You have to right click and copy the location if you're going to do that.

I went to your thread at Epic to get these correct URLs where I presume you copied and pasted from.

Edit: First post in thread has been corrected now, so go there for appropriate link(s).

Last edited:

Grogan

Well, thanks for putting back the jump pads to get up the waterfall. The map is very cool now.

However, I got stuck in one more place. It was weird, and it looked cool so it didn't piss me off though. I used the jump pad in the valley to get up to the first platform by the waterfall and it overshot, and I fell in a deep crevasse. I could see the viper down below, and the waterfall and sky above lol

I tried to get a screenshot, but on pressing F12 it didn't actually take one. Weird... the file just wasn't there. I'll see if I can make it happen again a bit later on, when I have time to go back to playing games. It might have just been a fluke that I got down in there.

Grogan

Nope, I couldn't get it to happen again. I can't even see that place I fell into. I went up on that ledge many times and hopped around too, looking for a spot with no clip. Very weird. Maybe overclocking the video card let some gremlins in :)

Grogan

I played this several times last night in both regular and instagib modes and had a great time with it.

One thing I noticed that cracks me up, is sometimes a bot will get in that viper on the top level of that building in the valley and just sit there. Sometimes I can get the sniper rifle and do a headshot before they react to me. I love it... it's like killing "campers" :)

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
PS3 link is fixed now, ORGAN (gearsforums) cooked it. And Grogan, your stories of transportation into spaces that don't exist populated by video card gremlins are giving me minor heart attacks.

Oh my god. Organ. Swap it around. Grogan. Ok, I embellished. Still, SPOOOOOOOKY

Grogan

I haven't had it happen again since, and I've been doing those jumps many times. (As I said it's my favourite sequence of jumps in the map :) )

I haven't noticed anything else in this map that I'd consider a problem either... great job.

Actually, at my home forum they sometimes call me organG. My friend made a typo once somehow and it stuck. (small organ, big G he likes to say lol)