UE2 - UT2kX UV Maps Not Staying In Place

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HereticElite2K4

HaloUT Custom Skinner
Feb 27, 2005
Isabela, Puerto Rico
This has been bugging me for a while, ok I've imported a HL2 model in MilkShape and the texture placement looks fine, but when I export it and import the model in UnrealEd 3 the texture is warped on the model. I aligned the UV of the model with the texture in MilkShape but the model doesn't keep the texture coordinates. How do I keep the texture alignment right when exporting it in MilkShape?

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Which version of Milkshape3D are you using, and which type are your exporting the mesh as as? (.lwo, .ase?). I have been using the Lightwave 6.5 exporter and everything has been working just fine for static meshes (though I have not done any conversions, not that it should matter to the exporter). MS3D version 1.85 does not run on my machine for some reason so I have not tested the new .ase exporter that Mete included for it (ended up writing my own exporter for .ase files).

HereticElite2K4

HaloUT Custom Skinner
Feb 27, 2005
Isabela, Puerto Rico
Which version of Milkshape3D are you using, and which type are your exporting the mesh as as? (.lwo, .ase?). I have been using the Lightwave 6.5 exporter and everything has been working just fine for static meshes (though I have not done any conversions, not that it should matter to the exporter). MS3D version 1.85 does not run on my machine for some reason so I have not tested the new .ase exporter that Mete included for it (ended up writing my own exporter for .ase files).

I got MilkShape 1.8.4 and I export the models in .ase.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Did you use the .ase exporter from 1.8.5 in 1.8.4? I have not tested the 1.85. exporter but by default the UV map coordinates had to be tweaked when converting from MS3D's internal format in order to work properly in the .ase format. You can use the .lwo format, but you have to create a new material for each smoothing group.

Last edited:

HereticElite2K4

HaloUT Custom Skinner
Feb 27, 2005
Isabela, Puerto Rico
Did you use the .ase exporter from 1.8.5 in 1.8.4? I have not tested the 1.85. exporter but by default the UV map coordinates had to be tweaked when converting from MS3D's internal format in order to work properly in the .ase format. You can use the .lwo format, but you have to create a new material for each smoothing group.

Oops my bad I only see the .lwo format that can be used to export in Milkshape.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
You are in luck. I have been dealing with Milkshape's UV mapping glitch for over a year and quit my projects due to it. I was working on porting Quake3Arena weapons and pickups to UT even tho it doesn't support shaders I was gonna try my best to make it look alike as much as possible. The biggest problem I had was the UV mapping getting moved whenever I exported to .3d or .psk and was not able to find a fix that will export it correctly directly from Milkshape. Luckily, I went off and gave it another try and finally figured a way how to reverse the misalignment of the skins in the meshes. So, here's how I do it...

--Since I Import from .MD3 files which supports multiple groups/materials, I moved the texture to where it gets when it glitches.
--Once you've done that, export the model to .MD3 and start a new session.
--Import that model you just exported and you'll see that it will import with the misalignment you did before in order to reverse it.
--Now, just to try if the UV mapping will get reversed, export it to the format that was getting screwed up and see if the skin aligned properly this time.

This process takes a bit of work to get the uv map to align correctly but it does work and the skin doesnt go out of bound when you export it to the UT model formats. Also, for some reason, some of the simple shapes don't screw up the uv mapping so check which materials are the ones going off first.

When I use the Texture Coordinate Editor in Milkshape the average offset I add is about 0.004/0.004 before I export it to the MD3 format to reverse it from the second import. Oh, and make sure to have the original model and the one with the UV map moved in case you need to repeat it again.

Well, I hope this helps and if it wasn't clear enough let me know where you got confused or didn't understand.

HereticElite2K4

HaloUT Custom Skinner
Feb 27, 2005
Isabela, Puerto Rico
Thanks for the info but I've managed to figure out the problems, though. It turns out that importing the models as .obj keeps the uv maps in place when I export them as .lwo, so all the models I've ported so far kept their uv maps in place...