UT99

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ragdoll

Nov 30, 2004
I've heard a rumor that epic plans to possibly redo its masterpiece UT99 with possibly better graphics a cheat protection etc. Was just curious if anyone here could confirm?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why does the Unreal community as a whole consistently expect the next game to play and feel identical to the last game when they have consistently been "let down". Some of you would say that UT2 should have been UT with better graphics. I think UT2 should have been UT with innovation. Oh, it was. :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes, but first it has to make it no fun. If you are expecting a copy of another game...then why not play the other game? On the other hand you could get used to the movement in the new game and like it just fine.

Most of the time it's not "This game is no fun" but "This movement isn't like UT this sucks". Part of liking a game is giving it a chance. I probably never would have played UT because it was so much differnt than Unreal 1 (in fact, I didn't buy UT until it had been out almost two years). I ended up buying it because I played the demo so much that I got used to how it was different. Once I got used to it's differences, I ended up playing it more than any other game I had and have ever played so far (except maybe Morrowind).

ragdoll

Nov 30, 2004
2k3 and 2k4 were let downs...2k3 is dead and 2k4 is on its way down. UT99 is obviously the best unreal and i heard rumors that they were planning to redo UT99. I for one hope they do..I love it yet the cheating is horrid, and it is 5 years old...As for idiots that don't understand MAN WHY REDO THAT **** MANNNN WHEN YOU COULD STILL PLAY THE ORIGINAL...mainly since epic waste their time on horrible 2k4 the fact is they don't update UT99 with anything anymore...The whole point would be to redo it and keep up to date with it...now get back on topic and quit trying to defend 2k4 this isn't the purpose of this topic.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Well your rumour is false.

The bagging on 2k4 is getting old, people. It's not a horrible game. It's a very good game - just read any review and you'll see that's true. It's one of the highest rated multiplayer games around. Lots of people play it at any given time.

If you like UT.. fine. Play it. If you like UT2004.. fine. Play it. But, please, for the love of God... shut up with the bashing one game or the other.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I play UT and imo UT2004 is quite good. The only problem I have with it is that footing is less stable (I call this effect rubber boots) and this affects aim. I guess this is due to the fact that UT2004 is able to render terrain better. Also, Epic made an big effort with the character set. I didn't really like the huge hulking characters in UT2003 like Gorge but there's some more human looking characters available now :) .

ragdoll, to answer your question, Epic won't be doing a remake of UT and recent news suggests they are working on UT3 on the new engine. However, there's probably one or two remake projects out there by third parties to fully adapt UT to the UT2004 engine.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Fearless said:
I play UT and imo UT2004 is quite good. The only problem I have with it is that footing is less stable (I call this effect rubber boots) and this affects aim. I guess this is due to the fact that UT2004 is able to render terrain better. Also, Epic made an big effort with the character set. I didn't really like the huge hulking characters in UT2003 like Gorge but there's some more human looking characters available now :) .

ragdoll, to answer your question, Epic won't be doing a remake of UT and recent news suggests they are working on UT3 on the new engine. However, there's probably one or two remake projects out there by third parties to fully adapt UT to the UT2004 engine.
Like Unreal Tournament Revolution and Project UT.

'k Hunter, where's my Cookie :D

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
ragdoll said:
2k3 and 2k4 were let downs...2k3 is dead and 2k4 is on its way down. UT99 is obviously the best unreal and i heard rumors that they were planning to redo UT99. I for one hope they do..I love it yet the cheating is horrid, and it is 5 years old...As for idiots that don't understand MAN WHY REDO THAT **** MANNNN WHEN YOU COULD STILL PLAY THE ORIGINAL...mainly since epic waste their time on horrible 2k4 the fact is they don't update UT99 with anything anymore...The whole point would be to redo it and keep up to date with it...now get back on topic and quit trying to defend 2k4 this isn't the purpose of this topic.
ROOFLES

The name, Unreal Tournament 2004 does bear a striking resemblance to Unreal Tournament.
2k4 doesnt need defending. In retrospect, comparing UT to UT2k4 can be best described as innovation, without it Epic would be years behind.

Anoobis

Dec 1, 2004
Dark Pulse said:
Like Unreal Tournament Revolution and Project UT.

'k Hunter, where's my Cookie :D
bah you beat me to that comment Dark Pulse...
project UT? could you link? website for UT revolution is arriving the next couple of days (apparently)

^_^

Dec 13, 2004
zynthetic said:
The name, Unreal Tournament 2004 does bear a striking resemblance to Unreal Tournament.
2k4 doesnt need defending. In retrospect, comparing UT to UT2k4 can be best described as innovation, without it Epic would be years behind.
Yeah just like cs:source and its up to date innovative gameplay?

wait a second,,,its just like it was 5 years ago only better physics and graphics?
hold on now,,its community is still intact and GROWING!!!????:rolleyes:
not dead after the demo?
wow!, that must mean people dont need innovation or major change to something thats been perfected and loved over time
ok lets compare more down the list of most popular games
COD,,its been done
Enemy territory,,yup same thing different name
day of defeat,,hummm?
bf1942
man are you starting to see a trend here,innovative doesnt mean squat,most of the times it hurts the game,the name and the community more than helps

2k4 wasnt inovative anyway,it was just copying after popular games

Epics like our game DE made for us is dying!!111the quake theme didnt work!!! what can we do to keep people around intrested and at the same time milk more money,,,ok whats popular? um bf1942 conquest and vehichles maybe a little halo :rolleyes:

I would say however xmp was innovative,but that was done out of love for the community and the game they made,, for free.,good thing epic and atari decided to **** legend or it may have hurt 2k4 sales.

1 more thing,
UTGOTY still has roughly the same ammount of players monthly that 2k4 does without tac ops and with ONS(ons being the majority of 2k4s playerbase)
That shows devotion from alot of old time dm/ctfers,because 2k4 is allways twice the player count(basically because of 1000 people playing ons,DM and CTF are way worse off than ut,a 5 year old game*laughs*)
Ut should be doing better,but most of us lost hope after 2k3(including me)

BTW sorry hal,i get upset when people talk about this :(

Last edited:

^_^

Dec 13, 2004
Ciced said:
You quite clearly don't know wtf you're talking about.
The gametype ons is a variation of bf1942 conquest,if you dont want to believe that,thats fine,I and anybody else that has played bf know it is.
In bf1942 conquest you try to gain control of all the bases,after you control the base,you can spawn at them.
then @ the end once you control it all you pin them down in their main base until there points run out.
Tell me how ons is different ,please enlighten me.
OMG U HAVE TO LINK IN ORDER !!!! HOW INNOVATIVE!! GOTY!!! OMG ITS NOTHING LIKE THE GAMETYPE CONQUEST :rolleyes:
Also note,epic didnt concieve the idea for ons,it was bought from another developer.

Now looking at xmp,it incorperates several different gametypes in 1,and to pull it off so they work together and are dependant on eachother IS innovative.
I will give props to tribes for the basic idea,but they didnt take it as far or perfect it like xmp .you can win w/o power,the whole power issue in tribes in usless besides defense.
Bringing vehicles to the unreal engine,Legend(even tho it was planned to be in 2k3,it wasnt)
The whole kick on running over people in vehicles in 2k4,yeah you can thank legend for that.
Sure epic took this and did their own thing,does that make them the ones who are innovative or are they just taking allready done ideas and basing a game around it?
you be the judge on that,You and I both know what i think.

Nothing epic does is or has been innovative,its all based off different popular games with added unreal flavor.
Even ut was a quake wannabe(note ut is my favorite game so there is no fanboyism here ,I accept it even tho I despise quake)
well maybe assult was a bit innovative for its time,Im just thinking this because I dont know where they got the idea,im sure somebody else did it first:lol:

Please respond in any way you see fit,im only debating,not flaming you :)

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT Assault is all there is to say about Objective based gaming. If you can call ONS a copy of Conquest, you can call Conquest a copy of Assault.