UT3Dom

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
I always preferred DOM with the xloc off even though the default was for it to be on. Which basically meant I typically played insta-DOM rather than DOM.

I understand why people think the xloc is needed for DOM, and it definitely opens up some creative defense possibilities; but I just preferred the game without it.

But hey, I always felt that DDOM would have been fine if they had kept the original scoring system.

In73gr4L

Jan 22, 2008
On Condemned at the control point which is at the bottom of a slope, a common tactic back in the ut99 days was to translocate up above the shock rifle area and shombo people going for that CP. IMO domination without the x-loc is like a UT game without spam - it's not domination.

Anyway I've only played Condemned on the UT3 version so far.

Verdict: Sexy.;)

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Hmm, I don't really like it with the translocator. I guess it's two different ways of playing DOM.

Without translocator you'll actually have to defend your points and you can prevent people from tagging them.
If you're just spawning, trying to tag a point and being killed, honestly you're doing something wrong. That has nothing to do with DOM as a gametype.
You're either playing with too many players on too small a map, or you're trying to attack a point that the entire enemy team is defending by yourself, while completely ignoring the other points that are undefended.

With translocator it's just about tag->run/xloc into next one->tag->run/xloc into next one->tag, etc... not very interesting for me. There's only the attack part, not the defense.

Btw, how is 'some pickups cannot be reached' an argument for DOM+xloc? That's a matter of map design, not inherent to the gametype...
It's like saying CTF should always be played with instagib on, because without it you can't boost a teammate off the towers on CTF-Face. In short, BS.

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
On the translocator in DOM.

think for example Cidom. You have the control point on the roof, and there are no lifts or jumpads, so... either you xloc or you hammer jump, but seriously, are you going to charge your hammer for like 7 seconds or more to do a hammer jump, wasting like 25+ HP just to get to the roof? considering how fast and insane the game is now, you either get killed below when charging your hammer, or get killed when you reach the roof.
By using the xloc you at least wont waste all that much time and HP to get to the roof, but it is indeed easy to camp for xloc and kill the player that just spawned.

For the items only accesible via the xloc, yeah, you could say that you can get there by just hammerjumping a bunch of times, but does that really pays off? just imagine you have to make 2-3 hammerjumps to get to the powerup, you would waste more than 25 seconds and like 50+ hp, a real waste if you ask me.

I realyl find the jumpboots to be the safest and funniest way to get to the roof on cidom and condemned (but in condemned you have to ways up, and none in cidom) cause you can really blast anyone camìng the CP.

Personally, yeah, it sometimes gets cheap with the xloc but i dont mind that much because players that just xloc around from point to point wont do much, cause the score does not increase instantly, so staying in the point and guarding it for longer really pays off

Im glad to see people is liking the mod so far.

BTW: on Contrast, the performance hitches are because of the terrain tessellation, it's just too high, and cause of it's LOD it has all that morphing :rolleyes:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Hmm, I don't really like it with the translocator. I guess it's two different ways of playing DOM.

Without translocator you'll actually have to defend your points and you can prevent people from tagging them.
If you're just spawning, trying to tag a point and being killed, honestly you're doing something wrong. That has nothing to do with DOM as a gametype.
You're either playing with too many players on too small a map, or you're trying to attack a point that the entire enemy team is defending by yourself, while completely ignoring the other points that are undefended.

With translocator it's just about tag->run/xloc into next one->tag->run/xloc into next one->tag, etc... not very interesting for me. There's only the attack part, not the defense.

Btw, how is 'some pickups cannot be reached' an argument for DOM+xloc? That's a matter of map design, not inherent to the gametype...
It's like saying CTF should always be played with instagib on, because without it you can't boost a teammate off the towers on CTF-Face. In short, BS.

I don't think you understand how DOM is played. It's not all about "tag->run/xloc into next one->tag->run/xloc into next one->tag". IT IS A TEAM GAME. One or two people DEFEND each point. If all you're doing is going from point to point tagging it - your team is probably going to lose.

Unlike DDOM, it doesn't matter much if someone xlocs in and grabs the point for a second because points are generated constantly.

Epic placed certain powerups out of reach to all but those with an xloc and they even made Cidom's upper control point mostly only accessible by xloc. The xloc is ON by default. It's quite plain that's how the gametype is intended to be played.

Comparing it to boosting someone off of the Face towers with the ESR is retarded (By the way, you know you can do the same in UT with team rox, don't you).

In short, you don't know what you're talking about.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
Alright, jsut to let everyone know, there is a readme that came with UT3DOM. It is located in your My Documents (Users>Documents for Vista), the My Games, then UTGame. You'll see a UT3Dom.html file. That is the readme for UT3DOM. It will tell you how to enable/disable the following:

unlimited translocator
hoverboard in non-vechiluar games
translocator in vehicular games
the entire translocator/hoverboard entirely

and lot's more. :)

Anyone who needs help finding it, look for the Setting section. You'll see the UTDom.Domination section. Everythign is located there. :)

Also, the readsme is able to be viewed after isntallation.

And, for those who hate vieweing readmes, you'll have to adjust to reading it. It's not that complex, and it fairly easy to understand. :)

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
In short, you don't know what you're talking about.

telling some one they dont know what they are talking about is both not helpfull and stupid. it is that persons opinion that they do not like the xlocator as much, its not a "Fact" cut and dry 2+2=4 type of situation. Its an opinion, and there are many many people with the same opinion that they simply dont like the xlocator, and they would rather not play with it...JUST LIKE there are many many people who ENJOY the xlocator and want to play with it on. playing with or without it is not "stupid" its a personal opinion. Just like some people like flak more than rox as their "spam weapon of choice" while its not stupid to like rox or flak over one another, but its all opinion. and just like some people liked "dodge jump" more than "dodge" and vise versa, its all opinion, everyone has and is entitled to their own and none are necessarily "wrong"

also i love how people keep saying "xlocator is NEEDED like omfg look at cidom, how in the hell would you get to that control point" ITS FRIGGIN MAP DESIGN PEOPLE! if you flat out dont put control points 45 feet in the air, and put power ups in god knows places then you wouldnt have a problem reaching them lol. it has nothing to do with DOM its self, it has to do entirely with the design of the map...so please stop using that as a "must need xlocator argument"...maybe they will start putting rocket launcher and shock rifle pick ups 60 feet off the ground in DM, then we will have the "omfg, we NEED xlocators in DM!" no, you simply need maps to fit the style of play in which you enjoy, and if thats what you enjoy then more power to you.

so in the end it comes down to, is it more enjoyable personally for you to have half your team have the ablity to fly around very fast and try to "steal" control points with your xlocator while the rest of your team tries to defend the one(s) you have. Or is it more enjoyable for you to have it more of a "in the trenches" battle system where you have to physically kill and over power who ever currently owns and resides at their control point to be able to take it without the ablity to "fly around real fast". PERSONALLY for me the 2nd one is more fun, but that does not mean option number one is not fun or that anyone that enjoys that way is "stupid". its all a mater of personall preference so lets keep it "nice" lol

Last edited:

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
@Draco73

I understand your point. Completely. :)

If you prefer to have no translator, then you have lucked out :) , because you need to do the following to make your vision a reality:

in the UTDom.ini, for whaetver section has the following link "bUseTranslocator=True" change it to "bUseTranslocator=False". You can also do the same for hoverboards, and you can switch hoverboard usage for translocator ion a non-vehicluar gametype. :)

Let's see here if I remember the lines correctly for all those tweaks. :)

bUseTranslocator=True (enabled translocator)
bUseTranslocator=False (disabled translocator)
bUnlimitedTranslocator=True (use the unlimited translocator)
bUnlimitedTranslocator=False (use the regular translocator)
bUseHoverboard=True (enabled hoverboard)
bUseHoverboard=False (disabled hoverboard)

That's all I remember off by hand. Check the readme file located in My Documents / Documents>My Games>UTGame. The readme file will be called UTDom.htm :)

If there is more questions, to anyone, please DO NOT hesitate to ask, that is my job...to help you with your Q&A for UT3DOM. :D If I didn't...everyone would be confused. :)

Alright, if I didn't answer the question quite correctly, then please forgive me. :) I sometimes mis-interpret the question incorrectly, and you may need to re-specifiy in a more less simplistic and more complex type format (but not too spread out). :)

Many thanks. :)

«:MX:»RoninMastaFX

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
telling some one they dont know what they are talking about is both not helpfull and stupid. it is that persons opinion that they do not like the xlocator as much, its not a "Fact" cut and dry 2+2=4 type of situation. Its an opinion, and there are many many people with the same opinion that they simply dont like the xlocator, and they would rather not play with it...JUST LIKE there are many many people who ENJOY the xlocator and want to play with it on. playing with or without it is not "stupid" its a personal opinion. Just like some people like flak more than rox as their "spam weapon of choice" while its not stupid to like rox or flak over one another, but its all opinion. and just like some people liked "dodge jump" more than "dodge" and vise versa, its all opinion, everyone has and is entitled to their own and none are necessarily "wrong"

Did you even read the post I wrote or quoted? He was wrong and telling him so is both helpful and decidedly not stupid.

NO no no a thousand times no. I never said that it couldn't be played without it. I said that it was intended to be played (and indeed WAS played) with the translocator enabled. Prefering one weapon over another is a TERRIBLE analogy for comparing the intended way to play a gametype with a mutated gametype. It's utterly illogical.

also i love how people keep saying "xlocator is NEEDED like omfg look at cidom, how in the hell would you get to that control point" ITS FRIGGIN MAP DESIGN PEOPLE! if you flat out dont put control points 45 feet in the air, and put power ups in god knows places then you wouldnt have a problem reaching them lol. it has nothing to do with DOM its self, it has to do entirely with the design of the map...so please stop using that as a "must need xlocator argument"...maybe they will start putting rocket launcher and shock rifle pick ups 60 feet off the ground in DM, then we will have the "omfg, we NEED xlocators in DM!" no, you simply need maps to fit the style of play in which you enjoy, and if thats what you enjoy then more power to you.

so in the end it comes down to, is it more enjoyable personally for you to have half your team have the ablity to fly around very fast and try to "steal" control points with your xlocator while the rest of your team tries to defend the one(s) you have. Or is it more enjoyable for you to have it more of a "in the trenches" battle system where you have to physically kill and over power who ever currently owns and resides at their control point to be able to take it without the ablity to "fly around real fast". PERSONALLY for me the 2nd one is more fun, but that does not mean option number one is not fun or that anyone that enjoys that way is "stupid". its all a mater of personall preference so lets keep it "nice" lol

Yes it's FRIGGIN MAP DESIGN. It's EPIC GAMES' FRIGGIN MAP DESIGN. Do you know why they designed it that way? BECAUSE THAT IS THE WAY THE GAMETYPE WAS INTENDED TO BE PLAYED.

By all means play it any way you want, but you're missing the point.

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
I said that it was intended to be played (and indeed WAS played) with the translocator enabled.

I have played every unreal game, and have been playing epic's games since 1998, you dont need to "talk down" like your this all knowing being "o the game WAS IN FACT PLAYED THIS WAY" i know very well how the game was and was not thank you very much. I also know that there was both types of DOM servers during 99's hay days, there was servers with and without the Xlocator, i have played them BOTH.

so get off you high horse for a min because in fact YOU my friend are missing the entire point. the point was not "how the game type was made" EVERYONE and there mother knows what the "stock" version of the game is and how its played...nor was the point who is right or wrong, or that i am right and your not. the point is the is a LARGE amount of people out their who enjoy DOM, enjoy the game type MORE if there is no translocator...its that simple that cut and dry. it had nothing to do with who is right who is wrong, if YOU would had read my post and understood it maybe you would have realized that...in fact I even emphasized it had nothing to do with "being right and wrong" it is what is fun to you personally.

hal said:
Yes it's FRIGGIN MAP DESIGN. It's EPIC GAMES' FRIGGIN MAP DESIGN. Do you know why they designed it that way? BECAUSE THAT IS THE WAY THE GAMETYPE WAS INTENDED TO BE PLAYED.

yes because you know how ALL of Epics maps are designed SOOOO good that they are ALL played SOO MUCH....and they are all played equally![/sarcasm] when in fact a good 60% of epics maps never see the light of day EVER in any online public server...why is that? because its not fun for most individuals so it never gets voted...look at that goes right back to my point of "fun level, and what people enjoy" NOT right and wrong, or the way it comes out of the package...

just like a map can not be "made wrong" (of course excluding errors etc lol) but so long as the map is complete and playable, there is no such thing as a "wrong map" sure it may suck, and totally not be fun in any way, but its not "wrong"...its the map authors opinion on what he would like to see as a map.

it all stems back to WHAT IS FUN TO AN INDIVIDUAL!!! there is no right and wrong, no black and white. why is it so hard for you to grasp what i am saying, i am not arguing the fact of how a game type was stock out of the package...my post had absolutely nothing to do with that and never did i ONCE say how the game type was and yet you argue that... and after you argue it, you tell me im illogical...it makes no sence lol, your arguing something i never said lol. its as simple and cut and dry to what is fun to a person, and in this very thread numerous people have stated they like it better with OUT the xlocator, its all personal preference, and its something YOU CAN NOT ARGUE!

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Trying to get away from the pointless flamewar here...

RoninMasta: I've read this isn't compatible with Patch 1.3b1... how about Patch 1.3b2? I'd love to play this, but as I have those patches, I can't play it.

Releasing a fix for that would help. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Draco, You are still entirely missing hal's point. It has nothing to do with personal preference, he even stated that in his post.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I have played every unreal game, and have been playing epic's games since 1998, you dont need to "talk down" like your this all knowing being "o the game WAS IN FACT PLAYED THIS WAY" i know very well how the game was and was not thank you very much. I also know that there was both types of DOM servers during 99's hay days, there was servers with and without the Xlocator, i have played them BOTH.

so get off you high horse for a min because in fact YOU my friend are missing the entire point. the point was not "how the game type was made" EVERYONE and there mother knows what the "stock" version of the game is and how its played...nor was the point who is right or wrong, or that i am right and your not. the point is the is a LARGE amount of people out their who enjoy DOM, enjoy the game type MORE if there is no translocator...its that simple that cut and dry. it had nothing to do with who is right who is wrong, if YOU would had read my post and understood it maybe you would have realized that...in fact I even emphasized it had nothing to do with "being right and wrong" it is what is fun to you personally.

yes because you know how ALL of Epics maps are designed SOOOO good that they are ALL played SOO MUCH....and they are all played equally![/sarcasm] when in fact a good 60% of epics maps never see the light of day EVER in any online public server...why is that? because its not fun for most individuals so it never gets voted...look at that goes right back to my point of "fun level, and what people enjoy" NOT right and wrong, or the way it comes out of the package...

just like a map can not be "made wrong" (of course excluding errors etc lol) but so long as the map is complete and playable, there is no such thing as a "wrong map" sure it may suck, and totally not be fun in any way, but its not "wrong"...its the map authors opinion on what he would like to see as a map.

it all stems back to WHAT IS FUN TO AN INDIVIDUAL!!! there is no right and wrong, no black and white. why is it so hard for you to grasp what i am saying, i am not arguing the fact of how a game type was stock out of the package...my post had absolutely nothing to do with that and never did i ONCE say how the game type was and yet you argue that... and after you argue it, you tell me im illogical...it makes no sence lol, your arguing something i never said lol. its as simple and cut and dry to what is fun to a person, and in this very thread numerous people have stated they like it better with OUT the xlocator, its all personal preference, and its something YOU CAN NOT ARGUE!

He DIDN'T know what he was talking about and now you don't either. All that blah blah blah about personal preference is pointless. I already said to each his own. I was explaining why the gametype came set with the xloc enabled. And NO apparently everyone and "their" mother does not know why/that it was enabled, as you can see in this very thread.

Your argument was illogical. I didn't say you were. Are you having trouble with reading comprehension as well?

I won't even get into that stuff you said about bad maps or whatever because that just kind of came from left field and was irrelevant to the thread.