UT3 keeps crashing things in Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
I decided to try UT3 for a bit again. I seem to be experiencing problems with it crashing all the time and worse then that, crashing things including system processes in my Windows XP SP2. At first it crashed my messenger, then it even crashed winlogon.exe and I couldn't log off any more. Does anyone know what exactly causes this or how to fix it? I also have modern computer components so I believe it shouldn't be that.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
Check my UT3 Guide. It should answer at least some of your questions and probably some more as well. :)

If there isn't any information whatsoever relating to your question propery, i'll do some research and figure out a fix for your issue you are having. :)

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Thanks «:MX:»RoninMastaFX, Ill try to find it and look at it. And yeah, my drivers are updated, though I use the Omega ATI drivers and not the official ones, if that could make a difference. And its surely not adware, the crash is clearly related to ut3.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Thanks «:MX:»RoninMastaFX, Ill try to find it and look at it. And yeah, my drivers are updated, though I use the Omega ATI drivers and not the official ones, if that could make a difference. And its surely not adware, the crash is clearly related to ut3.
The latest Omega Drivers -- for nVidia + Vista at least -- completely boned and castrated my last install. Not only did they crash a bunch, they also overwrote the default drivers requiring me to do a full reinstall of Windows.

So... it's quite possible.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
The latest Omega Drivers -- for nVidia + Vista at least -- completely boned and castrated my last install. Not only did they crash a bunch, they also overwrote the default drivers requiring me to do a full reinstall of Windows.

So... it's quite possible.

No not Nvidia... I'm using an ATI card here. Also on XP SP2. I use them cuz I heard it should work faster :) Will try to see if its them that cause such bugs... it didn't do anything like that with other games.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Forgot to mention... alongside crashes im also experiencing hangups. UT3 just freezes at a certain frame and becomes a static picture forever. I need to use control+alt+delete to jump to task manager and close it.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Forgot to mention... alongside crashes im also experiencing hangups. UT3 just freezes at a certain frame and becomes a static picture forever. I need to use control+alt+delete to jump to task manager and close it.
Actually I bet if you left it there -- after 30 seconds - 2 minutes it'd come back on its own.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The last time I had an ATI card and used Omega Drivers, this happened:

[screenshot]http://darkpulse.project2612.org//ut/2004/Shot00247.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://darkpulse.project2612.org//ut/2004/Shot00286.jpg[/screenshot]

I never used them ever again. Get the official drivers.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
I'm actually getting freezes 5 times more then im getting crashes. Had no crash today except startup crashes, but instead the game froze 10 times or so.