UT2K3 - the essentials?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Danger_Dude

Feb 15, 2000
That's a damn good question.
Visit site
OK, kidlings, I finally broke down and picked up UT2K3; $14 at the local Target was too good a bargain to pass up, even though the demo left me cold (count me as one that found the game much too Quake-like. And don't get me started on that "lightning gun" - I gave up my sniper rifle for this!?!?!?!?!)

Anyway, I'm looking to d/l "the essentials" - the maps and mods that are in high circulation. Any suggestions? I've got the latest patch (of course!), the BrightSkins mod, the DE and Epic bonus packs. What else should I be looking for before I hop online and decorate the scenery with my nOOb organs? :)

Gracias...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I have multiple mods and no problems.

TWD is right, pick up all of the official patches, perhaps a good cache manager, and then hop online and you'll get all of the maps you need.

If you're into offline play, the list Webslinger gave you is great for CTF players. We also have a "best map" list floating around in this forum somewhere.

I'm curious though, what are your thoughts about the game after all of the patches? Does it seem different than it did when you played the demo?

Danger_Dude

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
Actually, I played a bit earlier today - lots of real life issues going on right now. Anyway, it seemed a bit familar, but a bit odd as well. Still a little "quake-y", but not as bad as I had remembered.

The weapons take some getting used to - the RL is nice, the flak is just about right - I like being able to clear corners, seems about right. The lightning gun can't hold a candle to the sniper rifle; whoever made that call should be locked in a closet with Dr. Phil for about a year. Bad, bad, bad decision - "crossing the streams" bad.

Voice acting is not nearly as good as UT - I really don't like the announcer and the character voices are so-so. A bit too cartoony, if that makes sense.

The graphics are fantastic. I just built a new rig, a P4 2.8, gig of RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, so I'm running at 1280x1024 with all the candy on, and it looks great. No complaints there.

I've not played enough to get a feel for the maps. I haven't found a November (one of my personal favs), Orbital or Lava Giant, but that might come with time. I did play DM on Phobos II (or something like that) and it was a bunch of fun. Varying gravity between the levels on the map was great.

What server and channel is the BUF IRC? I'd like to hang out with some of my old mates once in a while.....

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
irc.enterthegame.com #beyondunreal
irc.progameplayer.com #fragbu

1st is the bu channel
2nd is where te 23 people hang out because of the FragBU events.

I know what you're saying about Cartoony. I personally use a Unreal Championship announcer pack that is more to the point. It's a female voice mixed with a male voice that are not included with the bonuspacks. They seem more plain.

Original9

Deleted.
Jul 28, 2001
Hanover_Fist said:
Can I load RO, CM and Systemic and not have problems?

I heard that 2k3 has problems with more than one mod at a time?

It's not Ut2k3's fault that there are conflictions.

Most mods just dump all of their system files into ut2k3's. This creates a BIG problem. Ut2k3 wants to load EVERY .int and .ini file found in it's system folder. So, when you try to load RO with say, Lawdogs, ut2k3 is trying to start both mods. See the problem?

KarlMarx

Oct 4, 2003
Danger_Dude said:
I've not played enough to get a feel for the maps. I haven't found a November (one of my personal favs), Orbital or Lava Giant, but that might come with time.

I know what you mean about maps -- still one of the biggest problems though the situation is improving. With promising UT2k4 maps and two major map packs (including 1 by CTF players) on the horizon, things may get better. A fine looking CTF-Terra remake is in the works! And if you like remakes, the Dreary2003, Lucius2003 and Bollwerk2 are not bad and somehow seem less spammy, crampy and defensive than the originals.

Otherwise Orbital2 is actually pretty good and well liked. Chrome is the other staple for competitive play but I personally find it too spammy + static-meshy. Lava2 is actually not bad but too big. Citadel has a special 'magic' once you get the hang of it, but can be extremely irritating and isn't suited to competitive play IMO. You might want to check out CamperCrossings, ProgressiveSteel, the much improved December-LE105 (much more November feel) and DeepSprinta (though bad fps). There are many more decent custom maps (Sulphur, Cardalla, Debris) but none that I can think of which fill the shoes of UT's greatest CTF maps.

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
Do yourself a favor and change these settings:
Turn music off. I turned mine off for TeamSpeak every Friday and I find music is flavorless and adds nothing to my gaming.
For your online filter, do not display empty servers, full servers, or passworded servers if you are looking for fun public servers. This will make sure you don't have to get caught in yet another black screen or passworded screen. Of course, you'll want to turn filter off eventually.

I know you don't want to talk about the LTG, but it's more of a switch weapon. UT2k3 is more about switching weapons so that you don't run around every map and pop heads off with just your 1 weapon. And yes.. they do have spammy 10 shot per second sniper rifles out there with 150 bullet pick ups on some really low pinged servers 24x7. Don't let our superior skills dominate you and make you want to quite. 2k3 is built to obliterate newcomers, you have to stay focused. Good luck. hehehehe. :D But wait, you played the ol UT right? You aren't so much of a newcomer then!

Last edited:

Danger_Dude

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
Played a bit last night and am finding that it is like riding a bike - the old skillz (such as they were...) are coming back. Still get a bit confuzzled on some of the maps, but taht will come with time.

One thing I'm really beginning to hate - the way that everything spawns in with a little visual effect. Way to confusing to see ammo, weapons, health, etc do a little "dazzle" effect similar to someone using the translocator. Maybe it's just me...

Hal, the "aroused" announcer voice is MUCH better - thanks for the tip.

Now, can someone tell me what the hell adrenaline does???

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Don't worry about adrenaline. Any decent server you'll play or clan play will turn adrenaline off because well it sucks.

When you get 100% you can do a super move. forward forward forward forward does uber speed back back back back rejuvinates your health left left right right (or right right left left doesn't matter) does invisibility and 2 forwards and 2 backs does bezerker that will increase shot rate on some weapons and increase damage in some circumstances (try using it in instagib).