UT2004 User levels

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
Its interesting to note, currently UT2004 is ranked #2 on gamespy stats.

1. Half Life 34041 servers, 36320 players

2. Unreal Tournament 2004 3259 servers, 2492 players (JUST!)

3. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2687 servers, 2402 players

Its mainly the ONS gametype with 901 players at the momment.

RO is the only mod people seem to be playing with 40 Players. When i tried frag-ops i found about 10 players scattered around 6 servers. Given MSUC and the fact these other mods won places no one seems to be playing them online.

Interesting to note that there are 86 Players, playing Invasion.

This may be a bit early to think about releases but one thing a mod cannot do is compete with gametypes that come with a game, due to the greater amount of players who would have access to them.

For DA2 I would be aiming to get DA2 onto as many PC Magazines as possible; as for some people downloading mods is not an option. And having the mod on a CD would increase the chance of these people installing it.

Spreading the world too to the new players. A lot of people dont know about "mods" for games and would need to be informed. How? Not sure. best bet might be a magazine as to visit a unreal news site you would know about mods already.

Languages? not everyone speaks or understands english, one thing I would like to introduce later on are language options for other countries, such as French, German, Dutch etc

Last edited:

MinorDisturbance

Human Toast
Nov 13, 2004
USA, NC
FluXs said:
Languages? not everyone speaks or understands english, one thing I would like to introduce later on are language options for other countries, such as French, German, Dutch etc

In that case I could help out in the german department. :)

Hellhound

Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
MinorDisturbance said:
In that case I could help out in the german department. :)
yep, me too ;)

This may be a bit early to think about releases but one thing a mod cannot do is compete with gametypes that come with a game, due to the greater amount of players who would have access to them.

Really ? Well UT is a "online shooter" in opposide of HL, but i haven't to mention the HL mod community...
In fact, i bought UT because of the mods, sadly there aren't a lot played.

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
FluXs said:
RO is the only mod people seem to be playing with 40 Players. When i tried frag-ops i found about 10 players scattered around 6 servers. Given MSUC and the fact these other mods won places no one seems to be playing them online

Which prooves that modding for UT2004 is a waste of time. HL2 has no new MP component leaving it open to mods.

Bytekeeper

Last of the Brunnen G
Jul 15, 2001
Germany
Visit site
@Jig: Did u play HL2 ? The graphics are great and, besides lightning, even better than Doom 3's.

I don't think it makes much of a difference to mod HL² or UT. It's hard to get any bigger active community. Most people on HL² will play CS:Source, even thought there will be lots of other mods.
I have to admit that since CS attracts so much people to HL it may happen some of them try to play something else, which of course will be another HL² mod (nothing wrong about that).

Bytekeeper

Last of the Brunnen G
Jul 15, 2001
Germany
Visit site
Well I said that, for me, it doesn't make much of difference if one mods for UT or HL2 or whatever engine.
Since most members of DA have a good experience with UT and less with HL² it wouldn't be logic to switch. But since HL² has a bigger player-base it also has a bigger developer base, which might mean that it's easier to find staff for a HL² mod.

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
I think most of the hardcore CS players... losers... players/losers wont even get HL2, and just stick with old CS (i've even heard that a lot of them don't even know what half life is), or maybe they'll just buy CS Source by itself and not get HL2.
I think if you're going to do a HL2 mod, just don't even think majority of the CS players as possible players for your mod.

Hellhound

Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Most people on HL² will play CS:Source, even thought there will be lots of other mods.

Hope the kids keep playing CS or even CS:S and the serious players will play other good mods. I ve enough of the cheater, l4m0r, skil0r, rul0r crap :mad:

Bytekeeper

Last of the Brunnen G
Jul 15, 2001
Germany
Visit site
I played Damnation mod a bit yesterday. Pretty amazing stuff. I only found minor bugs and some of UT's sounds don't fit well in there. But the rest is really good work...
It kind of reminds me of Prince of Persia :D

mackey

Cometh the apocalypse.
Aug 27, 2004
England
www.fpscentral.com
FluXs said:
RO is the only mod people seem to be playing with 40 Players. When i tried frag-ops i found about 10 players scattered around 6 servers. Given MSUC and the fact these other mods won places no one seems to be playing them online.

Yeah very odd this. Although plenty of people claim to be big fans of Frag Ops and other mods in the forums, people must be spending too much time posting about the game rather than playing it ;)

I can not believe that Red Orchestra has only thirty to sixty people playing across maybe ten servers at most during most weekdays. This is very depressing if a game modification as good as RO is under appreciated like this.

On a positive not though, alongside RO there is defintely space for another one or two dominant mods for UT2004. I think DA2 could slot in there. Like you say though, appealing to casual players and new players is very important. I like the idea of gettin your mod on a cover disc, hopefully you can, I'm sure it will help no end.