UT2004 - MODEL - Hide - Calamity

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think of this model?

• :tup:

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • :hmm:

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • :tdown:

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Skin/Model Name: Calamity
UT(99/2k3/2k4): UT2004 (patched to v3339 or later)
System Requirements: None specified / Not applicable
Author: Hide
Download: SkinCity 8.27MB

Screenshot:

Model: Original
Animation: Default Human Female and Custom Animations
Voice: Modified Voice - Merc Female
Other: Custom Species, Custom Karma

Support (SP/MP/Both): Both - Single Player and Multiplayer
Support (Team Colours) (None/2/4): 4
Known Issues: None
Additional Info: From The ReadMe;

There are two skinned versions of this model included. One is wearing a lace dress with ribbons and the second is a darker leather clad version.

Additional Info
Modelling: LightWave 8.3
Constructing PSK: MilkShape 3D 1.7.4
Skining: Photoshop 6.0
Packing UKX: UnrealED 3.0

Polygons: 4058
Textures: 12x1024x1024 1x512x512 2x256x512

Build Time: Not specified.

REVIEW

Porcelain dolls meet UT2k4 - perish the thought! Who could have guessed we'd see such a thing and lo - here they are! Two delicate ladies of minature statute wearing ribbons and lace. Evil dwarves from a brothel or worthy Tournament competitors? You decide ;)

The Good:

Hide's got quite the reputation in my eyes as by far the best modeller I've seen in our dear community. So, where does he stand with this, his latest creation? Well, I'd decided long ago to be unbiased in my approach with these reviews so there'll be no favouritism from me here... This is my honest appreciation of a truly great model from a wonderful artist.

The model itself is just great - not a hint of a triangle on this. Everything's nicely rounded and tweaked to perfection. Skinning on both characters is top notch and really brings these porcelain dolls to life. They're both so pretty and yet so evil looking you can just sense mischief in their presence. The mischief in this case is a small nuclear explosion if you frag one :lol: This has to be seen to be believed. Don't stand too close to these babies or they'll take you to the grave with them. One of the characters is pretty disconcerting as her eyes are constantly closed - Hide has a sick sense of humour! The voice too on the ladies fits them perfectly - It's only a high pitched default game female voice but it's so funny to listen to.

All are available as the player's character in Single Player mode which is a plus and another plus is that the bio is written into the .upl file so no need for editing xplayers info (which later gets wiped with every patch).

All LOD's are set correctly (Hide just knew I'd put this under the microscope for a professional review).

Finally, the ReadMe instructions re. installation are easy to follow (no "I don't know where to put it" here) and all other necessary info is here.

The Bad:

Just one minor bad thing in the whole package and that's the blue version of the dress wearing doll (it's red and blue) - It'll take some getting used to but I'm sure people will hang in there until they do - this model is just too good to do without :)

The Bottom Line:

Wonderful model - among the best yet for 2k4. Wonderful skinning to create a truly unique look. Wonderful coding with the new species. Shall I go on? This model is mandatory for 2k4 it's not a choice. Congrats to Hide for a wonderful job very well done!

Note: This model may give you nightmares :lol:

TOTAL SCORE 9.25/10

Last edited:

Starry Might

bFemale=True
Was anybody else besides me struck by the size of this model? She's rather short! (I've attached a screenshot that I took last night to this post that shows a size comparison...it may take a little while to load, especially if you're a 56k person.)

Also, you should be made aware that the Hitbox (the area around a character that registers damage when a shot is fired into hit) isn't affected by the size of the model, so you can actually damage Calamity by shooting above her head! (In fact, you have to aim above the model's head if you want to nail her with a Headshot.)

That said, I still like this model a lot! I'd give her a 9/10 (despite the size/Hitbox issue, which Hide wouldn't have been able to help, I don't think. I think the Hitbox is hardcoded into the engine).

Attachments

• UT2004-Calamity&StockModelSizeComparison.jpg
    UT2004-Calamity&StockModelSizeComparison.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Hide

or Dr.Jekill
Apr 23, 2004
IZANAGI Co. Tokyo
Thank you for review, klasnic. :2thumb:
And, thank you, Electrolyte, the_rex, Starry Might. :)

Starry Might, she is 75% of standard size.
However, size of her "Hit collision" which is used for weapons is quite same as the standard ones.

Your guess is almost right. ;)
Size of the "Hit collision" for weapons are constant values.
These values are not able to be changed from outside of the class which manages these.
That is, the difficulty of hitting the target does not change by the size of the appearance of a model.

However, another "Hit collision" exists for "Head shot".
And, it is attached at the place of the joint of the bone named "Head".
So, you need to aim the head(the place of the "Head" bone) for "Head shot".
Not the blank space above the head. :lol:
(Something may be hit, though. :lol: )

Starry Might

bFemale=True
Hide said:
Thank you for review, klasnic. :2thumb:
And, thank you, Electrolyte, the_rex, Starry Might. :)

Starry Might, she is 75% of standard size.
However, size of her "Hit collision" which is used for weapons is quite same as the standard ones.

Your guess is almost right. ;)
Size of the "Hit collision" for weapons are constant values.
These values are not able to be changed from outside of the class which manages these.
That is, the difficulty of hitting the target does not change by the size of the appearance of a model.

However, another "Hit collision" exists for "Head shot".
And, it is attached at the place of the joint of the bone named "Head".
So, you need to aim the head(the place of the "Head" bone) for "Head shot".
Not the blank space above the head. :lol:
(Something may be hit, though. :lol: )
Wow, really? :eek: Thanks, Hide. :)

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Amazing, I was wondering what Hide's next work was gonna be, and he totally blew my expectations. This is another amazing model. I'm downloading it right now.

The Helios

Keeper of the Ancient Ones
Apr 17, 2004
Oh yeah this model rocks!!! :D Well, most of Hide masterpieces rock XD

Mina_Hew

Aug 24, 2005
awwwwwwww how cute <3

I got so much stuff installed on my UT and this is gonna make another awsome addition to it all... So far all of hides work has been pretty cool

:cake:
however i did find a bug... if your running species statistics and you just happen to be playing as calamity I very highly dont recomend running her over in an LMS game.

I was playing on the custom map DM-ADAPT on Last Man Standing mode and i happened to run her over with the raptor it knocked me clean out of the raptor but i survived it...(DM-ADAPT automatically ejects players out of dead vehicles rather than killing the player) well anyhow next I decided to try the same thing with a Manta I hit her she set off a redeemer explosion which killed me and then I exploded having been playing as the same model... however I did not respawn... rather i got stuck in observer mode and my name stayed on the player board... and I just could not respawn

aside from the glitch this model what an awsome model its got my thumbs up

Mina_Hew

Aug 24, 2005
i noticed on my system the explosion only happens if your close enough to be hit by it... i suppose your shooting it with the lightning gun

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
It seems you're right. I tried it on DM-TrainingDay and there were nukes everywhere :)

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
I don't really understand how to get her to fly, for it never seems to work :)
neither does the small redeemer
:shock: My shock ball's bigger than yours:D
Nice model...I'll give it a 9-the more taunts the better!

Last edited:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
When you start a new game (e.g., Instant Action, choose the map and the bots. Then, under Mutators there's one that came with the game called Species Statistics (in the left column). Click on that, click add and it'll goto the right column. Then start to play. Once killed, Calamity should explode in a small redeemer explosion and cause all sorts of mayhem.

Calamity doesn't fly. CalamityAngel does, Kabs-BUB ;)