[UT] manually fix UMOD installation problem?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Sorry for not searching but I'm on a public library computer with a shared connection (there's currently 30 of us on it) and honestly can't waste time waiting for each and every page to load, so:

Have Unreal Anthology, hopefully have all the necessary patches and stuff, but I can't get Chaos UT, or anything else in UMOD form, to install.
I have heard that you can fix this manually, rather than **** about with regfixes, so how do I do that?

Oh, are you supposed to associate UMOD's with the setup thing in the SYSTEM folder? Because if so then that's ****ed too.

Thanking ya in advance :)

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Ok, just had to re-install my PC and now Windows insists that the path/file does not exist...
Do I include the " at the start and end of the path to UT system?
Does having the service packs for windows make a difference?
What nimrod thought Umods were a good idea in the first place?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The quotes must enclose the entire speciifcation for setup.exe, from before the drive letter until after ".exe". The "install" command must not be enclosed in quotes, but enclosing the "%1" is recommended in case you try to install UMODs from paths that contain space chars.

Not sure what your problem is, but UMODs are a great idea. They pack all files (the setup even counts the number of UMODs that installed the same file, so the file is only removed if you uninstall all those UMODs) and update INI entries accordingly.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Turns out I had put a space where there was no space.

My problem with Umods? I have to make them work myself, something I never had to do with '2004's. Ok, so it's only 99's Umods I have a problem with, but it still counts.
Yes it does.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The UMOD format is compatible to the UT4MOD format, btw. If UT4MODs work on your system, you can just rename the UMOD to UT4MOD and let the UT2004 setup install it. The result will be identical to that of the UT setup, including that the mod can be uninstalled through UT's deinstaller.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Ah, the umod problem........I remember it well............ok, not so well but I went into folder options/file types and changed some associations with the umod or created a new one or something like that in WinXP. UMOD file installs are great for most people, but I still prefer the manual installs from the ZIP files if they're available; I like keeping track of the files and creating more work for myself.;)

It's also barrels of fun getting the UNR file associations correct when you have Unreal and UT installed on the same computer; this doesn't matter with me as I never double-click on a map file to play it and always start up whatever game I want first. This problem only surfaced on my new installs this year on my new system.:)