UE2 - UT2kX Using existing animation distorts custom character

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
I'm trying to use an existing animation set with a new model. I have named the bones accordingly.

This is a picture of Ren [the character] in his reference pose.

Note how tiny he is.

renshot1.jpg

And this is how he looks outside the reference pose.

renshot2-1.jpg

The points bottomright and topleft are his legs. That little node on the topright is his body. [Which for the moment is unpainted and unconnected to the bones; I doubt it's whats causing this, but thought I'd mention it.]

I have imported what was basically a box with a rig setup exactly [read: mostly; as in does not have the hair tentacle bones etc] like the alien animations I'm trying to get him to use. I can get UED to animate the rig's bones correctly, but the rig itself is huge in compairison to the mesh itself, like two or three times as big.

I am using blender, and my first thought was that it was the psk export scripts I'm using. But I"m not so sure; there are two such scripts, and neither seem to have much of a difference between them [aside from what direction the model faces upon import] and both result in the same thing.

How do I fix this?

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
Anyone? Please?

The bones are all named right, I've re-rigged the thing multiple times, yet every time I do, the bones go nuts in UED. What am I doing wrong?

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
wouldn't a custom rig of that size require custom animations?

What that pic doesn't show you [and I forgot to add] is that mesh is scaled to mo'kai size.

That's how badly the distortion is.

Anyway, thread is now pointless, I got max and blender somehow completely screwed up exports and the mesh... randomly "fractures" in UED based on the distance away the camera is.

That is to say if you're up close, mesh looks fine. Start backing off the camera and random chunks of the mesh start dissapearing.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
What that pic doesn't show you [and I forgot to add] is that mesh is scaled to mo'kai size.

That's how badly the distortion is.

Anyway, thread is now pointless, I got max and blender somehow completely screwed up exports and the mesh... randomly "fractures" in UED based on the distance away the camera is.

That is to say if you're up close, mesh looks fine. Start backing off the camera and random chunks of the mesh start dissapearing.

That's LOD (level of detail) and is part of the engines system for rendering optimisation.

You can adjust these properties in the settings window to the right - to specify at what distance the mesh should degrade, and by how much.

Make sure if you're exporting from max (or from blender) that you reset xform (or the blender equivalent ) . If the mesh was built at 64units high, then scaled 200%, while it'd appear to be 128units in max, it'd import to Unrealed back @ 64units.

I'm assuming the same will be true with Blender.

Are you using the biped skeleton assets released by epic? Unless you are using the exact same skeleton, or even if you accidentally scale a bone, when you rig and import, the animations will be broken.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
That's LOD (level of detail) and is part of the engines system for rendering optimisation.

You can adjust these properties in the settings window to the right - to specify at what distance the mesh should degrade, and by how much.

Make sure if you're exporting from max (or from blender) that you reset xform (or the blender equivalent ) . If the mesh was built at 64units high, then scaled 200%, while it'd appear to be 128units in max, it'd import to Unrealed back @ 64units.

I'm assuming the same will be true with Blender.

Are you using the biped skeleton assets released by epic? Unless you are using the exact same skeleton, or even if you accidentally scale a bone, when you rig and import, the animations will be broken.

Actually, as it turns out it had to do with the blender2psk script; if you don't scale everything just right it goes haywire.

The question is now moot anyway; I got max, and I finished the model [including animations, tex, rag doll] like five minutes ago. 8D