UScript Possibilities Question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Max]I[muS-X

Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
i dont need anybody here to code this for me, but i would like to know based on your prior experience what and what not is possible for a mod in the game of UT.

ive had several ideas that im having someone make for me, and ive had several shot down already. i just want to know if theres some way to accomplish these goals that you know of, and to hear the best way to set about it in your opinion if someone were to make it.

these are the IDEAL settings, i could however settle for chopped or "lesser" versions of these. ill also present "ideas" to start with, but i really am a newbie to uscript and how UT works so its just fishing for ideas.

1.) Laser-Guided Ripper

Specifics?: A red laser projects path of the ripper until the ripper disappears. The laser grows noticeably dimmer from wall to wall. If the laser is intersected by an enemy player, the laser turns from red to a shade of green. A player can turn their own laser's visibility on or off. Players can not see another player's laser.

couldnt you set the laser to have the same "bounce" properties as the ripper projectile, except when it touches a player it stops, and when it touches an enemy player it turns green? with the same lifespan as the ripper projectile?

4.) Undetectable Feign Death.

Specifics?: When a player feign's death, enemy players cannot see that player's name when their crosshair is over him. The ability to walk over these players is determined by the server admin, default for this is yet to be determined. When feigning death, they also make the noise of a player dying, and fall in according fashion, with no kill message. Team mates of that player, however, can move their crosshair over the player and see his name.

not sure on how to start for this, but isnt there some part in the code that tells when a player will "stop" when they encounter another player, and when its "dead" and they can continue past it? is there any way to get around it if its hardcoded into the game?

5.) Advanced Skin Animation.

Specifics?: Similiar to the face on the DOOM HUD, a player's skin reacts to damage done to him, showing tattered skin, bloody face, etc. Smoothly if possible. Default skins only. 66 different faces, 17 different bodies, with 100 different transitions.

the only thing ive thought of for this is to create, say, 100 different versions of each skin allowed in tournament play, each worse than the other, and whenever a pulse or mini is applied to a player, each 1 HP it takes down switches skin to the next "level". for a splash weapon, it could switch, say, 25-50 "levels" depending on the damage done, and for hitscan no effect. possible?

6.) Score Creation.

Specifics?: A player accumulates points (does not affect outcome of any existing mod) that appear in the F1 screen, through the quality of his UT play. This will have to be done with a complicated number of If statements that add and multiply points based on the existing "score" of the player killed, model movement of both players, crosshair movement of both players, sequential kills (monsters, etc), number of kills before dying, weapon used, if the player is on land, in air, in water etc, and any other factor contributing to the overall "quality" of a kill.

any ideas on this?

thanks for anyone that takes the time to think this through with me, im just interested in seeing of possibilities people may come up with. =)

Darkblaster

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
1.) Everything possible (I coded a Laser-Guided RocketLauchner) Only the bouncing laser is a little bit difficult, but not impossible.
4.) Possible (play a death animation, sound,...)
But not drawing the name could be difficult because as far as I know this done native
5.) Almost impossible because there too many skins (20-30 skins (since every model a own skin) multiplied with 25 "Levels"...ohoh)
6.) Possible (you have to modify the function Scorekill in GameInfo/GameRules)

Last edited:

Max]I[muS-X

Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
Darkblaster said:
1.) Everything possible (I coded a Laser-Guided RocketLauchner) Only the bouncing laser is a little bit difficult, but not impossible.
4.) Possible (play a death animation, sound,...)
But not drawing the name could be difficult because as far as I know this done native
5.) Almost impossible because there too many skins (20-30 skins (since every model a own skin) multiplied with 25 "Levels"...ohoh)
6.) Possible (you have to modify the function Scorekill in GameInfo/GameRules)

1.) can you be a tad more specific, just so i can show this to the person making the mod, and he can have an idea of where to start? it sounds like you have an idea of where to begin =).

4.) same as above. how hard is it to "get around" code that is native?

5.) there are 17 different bodies, and 66 different faces (this is only concentrating on the bodies that are allowed to be used in tournament play), and 100 different levels of transitions. if this were to be done somehow using skin files, i could possibly get my friend to make these, even though it would be 6600 different skins made, and 1700 different faces for those skins. so, if the almost impossible part only came from the sheer effort to make the skins, i can do that most likely.

6.) could you possible expound a little on this as well?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
1)Tell him to learn how to modify weapons first. Then tell him to study the Shock Rifle, I think it would be possible to use the beam effect in there and to modify it for this means. However it may prove FPS hard hitting for this kind of effect. You may need to learn how to use the Emitter or xEmitter properties on how to get the colours to fade to different colours etc etc.

4.) same as above. how hard is it to "get around" code that is native?
Pretty easy. First of all the actual drawing of this is done natively, but you have to call this function. Simply remove the call to this function.

5.)
You can have several skins a model and they are all separate. For example the UT2003 models themselves use 2 skins, one for the body and one for the head. I forgot the limit you can have but using more skins does have a FPS impact. Therefore this idea is pretty easy to implement really. Just make sure all the comibinations work properly otherwise it may look weird (blood drenched body with clean face .. mmm)

6) The score is displayed via Scoreboard and incremented and deducted in the Game Info classes. Look them up.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Number 1, that was acutaly done somewhere for UT. look for a site called pipeline, or something like that, if its still up.

Remember everythings possible, but 4 sounds like the only realy hard one. As for the gore skins, someone did somethign kinda like that for unreal. an old RL mod for unreal, Serpertine, had seperate arm skins for their weapons. So as you got injured, you started to see blood on youre first person models. As for thirdperson, you might be able to even just put a decal over the player. But, as for the amount of detail you are talking about, thats excessive. I would recomend having perhaps 3 or 4 skins. Full, Injured, Wounded, Almost Dead.

Max]I[muS-X

Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
would 100 different skins lag the player, or do you not recommend it because it would be too much work?

also, i found that laser guided ripper code, but its not what im thinking of. that one makes a beam that the ripper will follow, as opposed to a beam that will bounce the same as the ripper, showing where it will go.

and by score, im referring to something different. im not referring to frag count or any such thing, but a different kind of score displayed in f1 under the real score, that is incremented based on the quality of the kills done. basically, the more skilled you are, the higher score youll get.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Quality kills = what? How do you measure that? How much damage is done ... anyways we've given you a lot of information already about how to alter the score.

100 different skins won't lag.

Look before you keep posting about theoritical questions you might find it easier to code first and then question later.

Max]I[muS-X

Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
hehe, thx, i found that =). only problem is it isnt what i want. that one makes a laser that the ripper follows like its heatseeking. the one i want is a laser that just VISUALLY guides you where the ripper is going to go, bouncing off walls etc just like the ripper would.

Lemoni

The Philosapher
Feb 17, 2001
members.lycos.co.uk
Max]I[muS-X said:
hehe, thx, i found that =). only problem is it isnt what i want. that one makes a laser that the ripper follows like its heatseeking. the one i want is a laser that just VISUALLY guides you where the ripper is going to go, bouncing off walls etc just like the ripper would.
USE THAT AS A STARTER, learn to do uc and just modify the code. DUH!