Update

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Yo

Just to let you know what's going down at the moment.

Currently pulling my hair out trying to get skin selection to work properly, when I see two vehicles on the same type, with different skins, on a dedicated server, I'll be happy :). Sorry crazy, your ideas didn't work :(.

On another note, I have revamped the way Turbo works, so we now have the option of applying different turbo charge and drain rates to each vehicle.

My thoughts on this are:

Trucks and slow cars - charge faster, drain slower
Rally and 'average' cars - charge and drain at an average speed.
Sports and racing cars - charge slower, drain faster.

Should add a bit more of a dynamic to the turbo usage :). Any thoughts on this?

$n][pErMan

UnWheel Server Guru!
Aug 29, 2004
Shrimp said:
Yo

Just to let you know what's going down at the moment.

Currently pulling my hair out trying to get skin selection to work properly, when I see two vehicles on the same type, with different skins, on a dedicated server, I'll be happy :). Sorry crazy, your ideas didn't work :(.

On another note, I have revamped the way Turbo works, so we now have the option of applying different turbo charge and drain rates to each vehicle.

My thoughts on this are:

Interesting on the turbo.... I think the charge and drain times would be a neat thing to be different on each type of car... just as long as racing and sports cars still remain the fastest even when using turbo vs. a truck with turbo lasting longer (IRL a truck would burn through turbo like 100x faster than a car though). I think its a good idea... anything to make the game more dynamic is a plus because after awhile with the current version everyone knows what car will always win. Sounds like in the new version any type of car can stand a good chance of winning if played right on the proper map :) Keep up the work man!

$n][pErMan

UnWheel Server Guru!
Aug 29, 2004
Malibu Barbie said:
How about this: Once you use the turbo, your normally-aspirated speed drops quite drastically therefore making your overall average speed slower! :flame:
lol.... no. :lol:

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Shrimp said:
My thoughts on this are:

Is that an idea I had yonks ago?

It sounds familiar...

good to see you're back and still kicking butt! CoD2 hs been devouring my soul lately, and Gran Turismo 4 as well because my parents sporadically decided to go for a next-gen console, couldn't find an XBox 360 and so settled for a Playstation 2.

EDIT: how's the new turbo FX working? Can we get a new version on the FTP? Or at least a video? I wanna see how cool it looks!

Last edited:

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Malibu Barbie said:
How about this: Once you use the turbo, your normally-aspirated speed drops quite drastically therefore making your overall average speed slower! :flame:

Hey, that's been fixed already ;p ;)

ProjectX said:
Is that an idea I had yonks ago?

It sounds familiar...

Indeed, however the code has only recently evelved to allow it's implimentation ;).

I spent a week or two playing with a stand-alone 3D engine in December, which has nothing in it but the simple ability to render objects. I learnt a thing or two there which are applicable to the Unreal engine too :).

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
ProjectX said:
CoD2 hs been devouring my soul lately, and Gran Turismo 4 as well...

Heh, same here. CoD2 [single player], BattleField 2 [multiplayer], Need for Speed: Most Wanted, etc, etc :(.

Not sure what you mean about the new turbo FX. You mean the shaking and wobbling and stuff?

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
$n][pErMan said:
Sounds like in the new version any type of car can stand a good chance of winning if played right on the proper map :) Keep up the work man!

Heh, sorry about the tripple-posting ;).

Anyway, yes, that's what I'm hoping for. We have all these awesome vehicles that mostly never get touched becuase there are one or two uber cars which people just use again and again :(. The damage system should also help that, as there will be no more flying around tracks on the barriers :p (or even bouncing along a Rabbit or something map in a really low, fast racing car).

$n][pErMan

UnWheel Server Guru!
Aug 29, 2004
Shrimp said:
Heh, same here. CoD2 [single player], BattleField 2 [multiplayer], Need for Speed: Most Wanted, etc, etc :(.

Not sure what you mean about the new turbo FX. You mean the shaking and wobbling and stuff?
Do you have xfire? I play BF2 when ever I have a little free time (mostly the SF expansion right now) :)

Anyway, yes, that's what I'm hoping for. We have all these awesome vehicles that mostly never get touched becuase there are one or two uber cars which people just use again and again . The damage system should also help that, as there will be no more flying around tracks on the barriers (or even bouncing along a Rabbit or something map in a really low, fast racing car).
Great! I was getting sick of always having to use the same car all the time in order to keep the race fair and have a shot at winning. Glad to see the new version will have some balance. You also might want to post some of this on the main page to keep people interested... and also fix that server display with the new IP ;)

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
Shrimp said:
I spent a week or two playing with a stand-alone 3D engine in December, which has nothing in it but the simple ability to render objects. I learnt a thing or two there which are applicable to the Unreal engine too :).

Interesting, are you thinking of making Unwheel into a stand alone game? If so I would recomend the Torque Shader Engine http://www.garagegames.com/products/browse/tse/. Let me know if that interests you at all, I think something like this is exactly what Unwheel needs to move forward.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Not really looking to make UnWheel stand-alone, it's more of experimental educational checking what' what with stand-along 3D engines. So not really looking to make any game in particular at the moment :).

I've been playing with Ogre3D (http://www.ogre3d.org/), in particular, PyOgre - the Python bindings for Ogre3D. Also mucked around a bit with PyODE physics, and trying to integrate the two. Surprisingly I managed to get some stuff to work :).

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Hey Shrimp, do you have any idea why BeyondUnreal isn't mirroring new files? I uploaded the new testing files about three weeks ago; the file is still on the server in /misc, but won't mirror.

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
Hey Shrimp.

I just remembered something that you might want to consider if it is possible. Right now, one can select either keyboard or mouse steering. Would it be possible to have an option to use both at the same time? I normally use the mouse steering, but sometimes it is better to use the keyboard, such as when you're on a steep sideways camber and need to make a sharp turn, its hard to point the mouse into the right direction.

Cheers.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I have tried mouse steering several times, and cannot get it to work. It seems like it has only half the movement it needs to complete a corner, and if you push the mouse farther to complete the turn, the wheels actually turn the opposite direction:p

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
JamesBong said:
wierd.... i have no problems with mouse steering

Same here. but sometimes in maps such as monster-truck, red planet, lost, etc, when the vehicle is riding against the wall, and I try to steer it back into the grove area, I need to move the mouse to point downwards rather than left or right. That's a bit counter-intuitive. If I could just steer with the mouse, but have the option of using the keys at those moments, it would make it easier to get back into the racing line when the vehicle is riding on a steep camber like that. Having an option to have both steering methods turned on at the same time would make it easier on such maps.

And yes, there is one map where I have to switch from mouse to keyboard steering and back while on the run twice during the race, but I ain't tellin'! ;)

JamesBong

'JeeP' addict
Sep 18, 2002
oHIo
Visit site
ot:
Heh, sorry about the tripple-posting
is there like an unwritten internets forums law @ triple posting or something? i seem to recall being called names because i did this once :lol: whatta joke... :crazydance: :catfight: ohhhh nooeeees