Unreal DooM -- BetaV1 Release!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Hyrulian Hero said:
Hm... This doesn't mean that we can't have a mod that has the same "spirit" as Doom, even though it doesn't look anything like it at all.

Like we can have...umm...Mushroom Guns! Yeah.... :p

... true. A mix of DooM and Quake 1 heritage would own. Of course, without copyrighted material... i could map...

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
E1M1 from quake ought to be redone!
Heck, the entire first episode.

But, UT style. UT textures, Ut build (you get the idea) etc...

One time, this guy converted (map converter) the Episode1 quake maps to quake2.

Can you imagine, STROGG in quake maps?

It seriously failed. Honestly it did, imho.

Knights were replaced by berserkers, ogres by gunners, scrags by icarus...
Great having 3 icarus monsters in sight with you having nothing but a blaster :rolleyes:
And almost no room to hide.

/rant over

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
A bit sad to see your work stoppped by the ID cease&decist , but it is not that suprising as ID did it for another doom/quake inspired mod on another engine.

It should have been better to work on a UDiim modification , with Plasmi rifle , Chinsaw, Super Shitgun, Kakidemons, Iraqnotrons :D instead of remaking the exact port of the Doom universe.
It is always better to remind of something (even if you have to change a bit the models too) than copy this something to prevent cease&decist letters.

That is what some retail games did when they wanted to include some real life weapons that have a copyrighted names , like what happen with Swat 4 developers that have not bought the license of using Heckler&Koch names and so working around it to have the weapons and avoid a legal issue (and so would have needed an extra money spent on buying the right to use the real name).

What is a bit more surprising is when some mods that have carbon copy of some models and universe and do not recieve cease&decist letters.

Last edited:

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Nahand said:
... true. A mix of DooM and Quake 1 heritage would own. Of course, without copyrighted material... i could map...

... again... i'm waiting Bond's post on this. Planning would start immediatly...

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
Sorry, kind of ignored the UDooM threads after the C & D. Some people pissed me off with their "oh, bound to happen" and "oh, 5uXXorZ to be you" attitudes. (Their comments are understandable, but frustrating nonetheless.)

Anywho....Zardoz, another of the UDooM team members, is trying real hard to get something going again along the lines of modding FreeDooM, an open-source-esque port. I'm out (for the moment) on this project, but for more info, check this thread on Atari Community.

Romulan

Holding on
Jun 4, 2004
home.fuse.net
What the hell is up with id lately? First, KDiZD and now this?

I remember when the Q2 mode (and favorite of mine) Generations got the same C & D order. Their solution was to basically remove all of the terminology and redo the Q1 models from the ground up (which were originally just straight ports from the game itself). The result was SOG and to a certain extent Generations Arena. Both have existed for a while and neither has been threatened with legal action.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, generations arena is save because they use the Q3 resources.

Doom: They don't have to use any doom models, because he's already in there. So is the plasma rifle etc..

Quake2: Grunt is there etc...

Quake: ranger...

It's all there.

Get the idea? Their approach was the q3 style.
They didn't actually had to redo any models right?

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... actually, Quake 3 Generations *did* got permission from Id. They are the same people behind other Generations for Q2. I play Quake 3 Generations every time there's someone at EURO server. Check their forums too!...

Romulan

Holding on
Jun 4, 2004
home.fuse.net
NeoNite said:
Well, generations arena is save because they use the Q3 resources.

For the player models, yes. For the weapon and item models, no.

The biggest thing that made Q2 Generations get foxed was the fact that the Q1 models (and indeed maps and monsters) were directly ported over from Q1. So basically you had Dimension of the Doomed ready to play using Q2. They also made it very clear what each character was based on and that the mod was a tribute. It was only when the Q1 material was replaced and the characterizations became more nebulous did the legal problems stop.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
You search a file for UT99
vieux.gif

http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Mods/&file=udoom_betav1_nonumod.zip

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Holy excrement of a herbivorous lifeform on a blue planet in the napali system.
I've played this so briefly.
Iirc there's also this doom styled mod called "hellday"? But it wasn't particulary great.
I'm sure someone has ported doom monsters into the unreal universe. The Quake ones already are.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Re-install? Thou truly are a heretic.
Well, make sure to install the oldskool mod along with it. Imo one of the most enjoyable mods. Nice way to blend unreal and unreal tournament.