UEd Bad Raw Material Combinations

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
I was working in UEd tonight and noticed that some of the combinations of Raw Materials display properly in UEd only to be rejected by the game engine when you play. This isn't the first time, either, and I don't think it's a video card issue since I'm running a GeForce 6800.

Anyway, has anyone else found any bad combinations? It might be a good resource for us to have a list of what doesn't work so people don't try it, or at least what doesn't work on what video cards.

I'll start:

Combiners within Combiners: crashes UEd
Combiner containing two cubemaped EnvMaps applied to a Shader in its Specular channel: shows up in UEd, but incomplete in-game -may have been a driver-related issue; other problems have now reared up that were working before

On a side note, this kind of points out the reason the Backup Texture channel is in most of the Raw Material nodes. If the engine can't draw what you've made, it'll use the Backup Texture instead.

Last edited:

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
Never attempt to put any shader node into itself. Result: UEd will crash.

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
Well a constant color is an rgb triplet value, and specOpacity is a single 8bit chanel, so yeah that wouldn't work. Shader nodes into themselves is creating an infinite loop, so it would generate at least an error.

good topic though.
The show up in ued but fail in game has got to be one of the most annoying things, but yes it does happen.
another thing that falls into that category:
Using texModified procedural (ie a rotating ice texture) as one of the parts of a combiner.