Tutorial question for FMI and UTxmp mappers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

your friend

Aug 27, 2004
For new players entering the world of UTxmp, there seems to be a similar 'drawback' as there was in U2xmp. That is teaching new players how to play. In U2xmp if I'm not mistaken, most people learned to play by being taught from players who understood the concept. Same is true so far in UTxmp.

Even after I read the tutorial ('Online manual') all I knew is that each team had generators, artifacts, and such.. but wasn't clear on what to do with each or what they actually did. I had to learn by asking questions to players on the servers I was playing on. Eventually, I understood the whole concept. Of course, I didn't learn all that in one sitting. It took a bit of games to really understand what was going on... especially when you had games that were ending in less than 5 minutes, lol. That was totally discouraging, as I didn't have much time to learn wtf was going on :). I really wanted to learn the game, so I stuck with it. Many other people who try new mods are not as patient *frowns* :( .

So my question to FMI and the UTxmp mappers is, "Can someone create a tutorial map/level for UTxmp?" In this level you could have a simple base layout for both sides. Here's just an idea/suggestion to throw around, but you'll get what I'm saying:

Map layout

1. Simple layout with 2 or so generators, 1 artifact node for each team, 2 or so deploy points
2. Waypoint system that takes the player to each deploy point and generator, with each one giving instructions on what they do
3. Perhaps even throw in a bot or two after the player's team energy level reaches 800 or so
4. Waypoint system that leads the player to the enemy node at this point, and then instructs the player to steal an artifact.
5. Waypoint then leads player back to his/her base to capture the artifact
6. Rinse and Repeat
7. Etc, etc

Now we know that XMP is more complex than basic CTF, so it may be a little challenging to script a tutorial but not impossible.

I'll go a step further...

For FMI:

YOu can throw the whole tutorial map idea away and simply make a DEMO of a player going through the steps needed to win the game in XMP... and include the demo in the next patch.

When they go to the UTxmp menu, there could be an item to choose called 'tutorial'. AFter clicking this, they can be treated to a demo that shows them all the essentials (most of them, at least) that they need in order to play this game. THey can find out how much energy they need to capture an artifact, they can see first hand what to do when they come to a generator/deploy point, and other things. It would be like your UTxmp matinee movie... only the file wont have to be as BIG because it will be a demo that can be played in-game.

This is just another idea that helped make ONS so popular for the regular UT2k4 game. At first, many couldn't understand the concept of nodes (believe it or not) when the UT2k4 mp demo came out, but after many noobie ONS tutorials and such that were posted on the net, the gametype's popularity 'blew up'. Also if I remember correctly, when you go to Instant Action or Host game in the full version of UT2k4, you get two options near the lower part of the screen.
1. Map configuration
2. Watch Tutorial (or something like that)

When you click on the tutorial link it will take you through an in-game demonstration on how to play any gametype, including onslaught. Feel free to try this for yourself, as a reference *smiles*. Perhaps you can add a 'Watch Tutorial' option in your Instant Action and Host Game menu as well? *smile* :)

So there you have it. On one hand someone can create a tutorial level that guides the player through the basics of the game or you can let them watch an in-game demo tutorial instead. Or both, lol. The choice is yours.

Either way you look at it, something must be done to make the experience LESS intimidating. Once they get past knowing what to do, they can enjoy the mod and concentrate on tactics, getting better and having a good time. Much better than, "OMG.. wtf was that? Game over in 5 minutes? WHy? Can someone help me please? This is a cool mod but I really dont know what I'm doing here. LoL, that sux... ok, gg bye". Hehe. Yes, I'm sure that sounds familiar. :lol:

All they (newly introduced players) need to know is how to play the game. They'll pick up on combat/fighting.. sure. But XMP is not only about Dueling.. it's knowing why your teammates cannot deploy things anymore, or why it says they dont have enough energy to capture an artifact, what is an artifact (lol) and other crucial things. Having a tutorial will help them out A LOT.

P.S. If there isn't enough manpower right now to make an in-game tutorial, you could hold a map contest or something to see who can create the best UTxmp tutorial. The winner would get credit for their map in the mod and whatever else you could think of. Continue the great work, btw.

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
i think that's a really good idea. i've seen lots of friends play for five minutes, say "oh look, another headshot" then uninstall. even happened when i tried to get my lanparty pals at work to play it.

mapping mortals like me can easily make a map with signposts/voices and one-way-only routes for new players - i think that sort thing would be rewarding for a first go rather than be chucked into a big confusing map like winderwoods.
i think i'll have a go at that; in fact i think i already have a plan

this may be the moment to mention a chip on my shoulder about the use of the term 'noob' -- so many games have someone whining about 'damn knownothing noobs' (ie "not as good as me"): surely nothing could turn a person off more, and that's just what the u2/utxmp community doesn't need. it's a multiplayer game and the more people you allow into it the more fun it'll be.

Last edited:

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
CaSCaDe said:
the planning was already there, but dropped for the beta release
i think the instruction manual, the tips and the way the tips work with the actual keys you've bound (rather than default keys) are outstanding.
maybe i just apprecuiate it more having been comissioning & specifying software for 10 yrs... it's so much harder than people realise at first!

am working on the training map...

Last edited: