Trying to quit smoking

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Ok i have a question, Ive smoked on and off for about 2 months now. I can could stop now with no problems. Am i just lucky? Am i not effected? or have i not been smoking enough????

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Or are you talking out of your ass, I vote option 3.
Everybody says they can quit whenever, and for some odd reason none of them ever actually do so.
Not smoking for the next 5 minutes=/=quitting smoking.

Last edited:

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
EtherRex said:
Either commit to quit or commit to cutting down to a certain level.

Then I quit (for four years until two months ago :mad: ) I just stopped dead. It was agony for a few weeks and then I didnt think anything would start me off again. It became a point of pride not to have a smoke even when tempted with them (bloody so-called mates!). God knows why ive started again. Im just about keeping it to a pack a day.....

If it's any consolation, I have quit a couple of times and now when I have a cigarette it just doesn't do anything for me.

Try, try and try again.

Mappie

Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Well i smoked for a month and then stopped with no desire too, later some people i was around were smokin so i just decided to do it again...not beacuse i felt the need.

Mappie

Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
I was under the impression this thread was about being "addicted" to tobacco and the cravings for it...so i think that there is a difference. Ill im sayin is it possible to not feel the physical effects of not having it after smoking it for a long period of time.

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
I think the answer can be double. From what people who have quit say, the physical need stops after one or two weeks. Yet, the psychological need seems to last for a long time, and can have physical consequences : anxiety usually turns my stomach upside down for example.
On a personal note, i smoked 6 cigarettes yesterday, and i may only smoke 5 today. The bad news is that it is as difficult to limit myself as the first day.

Last edited:

Olethros

Functional alcoholic
Speaking as a die-hard smoker for more than 12 years and an ex-smoker for almost 3 now I'll have to side with the "cold turkey" crowd here. Of all the people I know who have successfully quit smoking, none made it by cutting down gradually. It just doesn't work. Nicotine gum or patches or whatever are just more expensive ways of maintaining the nicotine addiction anyway, so stay clear of them too.

Here's what I did a lovely spring day in 2001: Rather than going out and buying another pack of tobacco (I used to smoke the hard-core roll-yer-own carve-out-your-lungs-with-a-spoon stuff, so you know I was a real smoker!) when I'd finished the one I had I desided not to. Simple as that. Finish off whatever you've got and then don't buy any more. Oh, and don't bum any off've your mates either. That'll kind of ruin the whole point.

TitanBlue

KATSU AKIGATA WA NAN DESUKA
Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
Cold turkey here too, up to 60 cigarettes per day ~15 years ago.

But I never say i'm a non-smoker. I'm still a non-smoking smoker. One cigarette and I'm back.

It's like INF :D

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
I wanna know why all the fun things are bad for you.

I tried drinking, but it didn't do anything for me, as I didn't really feel like drinking enough to get plastered.

Then I tried smoking, and it was great. It actually felt good physically and it gave me, a fidgety person, something to do.

The problem is, I have promised my lady that I won't take up smoking, as she finds the practice detestable. Oh, and the whole lung cancer and dying thing is kind of a turn off as well.

Why can't these things be fun AND non- life-threatening?

Anyway, good luck with your next attempt, o_dogg.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Dogg, why the hell did you have to advertise your failure all over internet like this ?

just a painful reminder of your lack of will...

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
STFU you ignorant non-smoker :p
About me, I couldnt stop my tobacco consumption, but I've reduced greatly, with ups and downs, I have to admit... 5 cigarettes a day is still the objective.