UE2 - UT2kX Transparent parts of texture

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheBB

Mar 2, 2008
Hi,

So this looks like a good and very active forum. Just what I need :).

I'm working on a pretty big map project, and I've come to the point where I'm introducing some more advanced textures. More specifically, I need to create a glass with a wire grid inside (does this have a name in english? hopefully you get what I mean).

I've been doing this in Photoshop CS, in what seems like the generally accepted way of creating a 32-bit TGA image with an alpha channel, white for opaque, black for transparent and various shades of gray for various degrees of translucency.

It just doesn't seem to work when importing. I'm supposed to select *only* the alpha checkbox, yes?

I think I'm doing something wrong in PS, really. If someone has a more or less foolproof step-by-step method for me, that'd be great.

BB

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Maybe you want to be more precise when describing what is not working.
Does it import at all? Does it import, but without the transparency?
If so, how does it look like? In Paintshop Pro I had a problem with the texture being yellowish everywhere the alpha channel was suppose to be - and the solution was just to uncheck the compression box when saving the texture in tga.In Photoshop the alpha channel doesn´t show sometimes if you save in 24 bit - you need to save in 32 bit.

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
the alpha channel doesn´t show sometimes if you save in 24 bit - you need to save in 32 bit.

AFAIK its gotta be 32 Bit for the alpha layer to export/import with the texture...

Green = 8 Bit
Red = 8 Bit
Blue = 8 Bit
Alpha = 8 Bit
Grand Total = 32 Bit

But yeah m8, you need to be more specific. I cant tell if you mean the transparency isnt there or if it doesnt import at all etc

If its not importing make sure the image is ^2 I.E. 16x16,32x32,64x64,128x128 etc etc... You are not constrained to square shapes, just indices of 2 so you can use 32x256 if you really wanted.

Last edited:

TheBB

Mar 2, 2008
Ok,

It does import fine. No graphical artefacts except for there simply being no transparency. I've downloaded PSP now, for which there was a step-by-step procedure in one of the links from reply #1. I've yet to try it though (schedule a bit full), but will get back to you within 24 hours :).

And I DO save 32 bit and I DO know about the powers of two. I've made plenty of ordinary textures in PS before. It's just this little technicality.

BB

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
;)

@ nELsOn .... Had a quick look to see if anything turned up on Google last night and about alls I found out is Paint.net seems to have a problem with alpha layers especially with tga files.. try using png instead Im pretty sure they save an alpha and are importable.