Trading Spaces: Jailbreak Edition

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hyper_Freak

Voices United...
Jan 28, 2004
www.wesweswes.com
I've been thinking (Which is never good), maybe we could create a mutator to allow a player to trade places with another player in jail after winning an arena fight. For instance, if I won an arena fight, I can bail out others by (before I spawn) choosing wether I want to go in myself, or choose a player in jail to go in instead. Bot support might be tricky however, but maybe we could make a setting to choose the player with the best stats in frags, final captures or releases. This could maybe be changed by a voice-type pull-in menu with a certain key to activate it. Or, in a 1 human game, on your side you can set them to always choose human players first. Just a thought.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
/me doesn't sign.

Winning an arena fight is something you've been chosen for. Picking out an other player to spawn instead of you (in arlon: pick the player with the best aim, so he'll be able to frag everyone with the SSR) will make the arena fight not a lucky shot any more: you'll be able to choose who you release. And there will always be n00bs who say: release ME, release ME! They'll curse you if you choose to go by yourself or pick someone else. Also, when your team is jailed, you're the last hope, you win the arena and get fragged by an opponent, teamm8s will say: you should've picked someone else besides (who you picked).
IMO: more trouble, while it's not nessecary. Also delays time when it's crucial.

Hyper_Freak

Voices United...
Jan 28, 2004
www.wesweswes.com
Ouch. Well, he has a point. I guess unless anybody has a revision that takes little or no extra time and keeps it a lucky shot but also gives the ability to release somebody else, this idea is history.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Well the automatic chooser would take no time at all :)

As for choosing one yourself, perhaps it would be possible to pop up a list of jailed players & you just hit a number key?

As for the 'lucky shot' idea, it's tru that this idea would fundamentally change the way the Arena works . But that it the point of add-ons -- they let you completely change game rules :)

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
As for choosing one yourself, perhaps it would be possible to pop up a list of jailed players & you just hit a number key?

Or perhaps select the player by shooting at him or spawning the target pointer and painting him with it.

Hyper_Freak

Voices United...
Jan 28, 2004
www.wesweswes.com
tarquin said:
But that it the point of add-ons -- they let you completely change game rules :)

Yes, I guess. Depending on how hard it would be to code, it might be worth it as an add-on. If nobody likes it, they can turn it off.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
RevBillyG said:
Or perhaps select the player by shooting at him or spawning the target pointer and painting him with it.

That's a good idea!
We could just hide the player's weapon when he spawns back in Jail and change the crosshair to a special icon. Once you've "fired" it at another jailed player, you get your weapon back.

Hyper_Freak

Voices United...
Jan 28, 2004
www.wesweswes.com
Nice, but we need to set a delay. Saay for instance, the last player on a team is in the arena. If he loses, they get executed. if he wins, he may go back to choose and the game will count him as jailed. They will all then get executed. However, we need to set a time limit so a player can't say they'll choose and then stall in jail forever. say, thirty to 45 seconds (Depending on the size of a jail).

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
tarquin said:
Well the automatic chooser would take no time at all :)

As for the 'lucky shot' idea, it's tru that this idea would fundamentally change the way the Arena works . But that it the point of add-ons -- they let you completely change game rules :)

number key? You gotta remap the keys then, and exiting the game while being in that 'area' would make the numbkeys useless till the player resets them in settings. Besides, what happens when you quit the game while being in that menu anyway? (And where are you when you're allowed to choose a player?)

Lucky shot? Then when you succesfully beat your opponent in the arena, some n00b may spawn in freedom? Guess not!

RevBillyG said:
When outside of jail: can't, many jails don't have bars. In jail: It might interfere (interfear?? :B) with JBAddonNoJailKill. Besides, people will try to jump in front of the beam. And with lag it might turn out real bad. And what happens when you shoot someone out of jail

question: is it worth it? Is it really something that would change the JBgameplay in a way that it's a very different (improved?) experience?

Hyper_Freak

Voices United...
Jan 28, 2004
www.wesweswes.com
Well, you don't need to keep your "no luck involved" and "N00bs are spawning" arguments going. We've established that if somebody wants this, they'll use it. It's just your preference for it not to be used. As for the re-maping the keys, all we need to do is add another box for "JBArenaTrade" or something and allow the player to configure it themselves. As for painting the player, you have a good point. lag could get us there. We should stick with a pop-up list. Simply use the forward key for up on the list, back key for down, and fire for select.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
jrubzjeknf said:
number key? You gotta remap the keys then, and exiting the game while being in that 'area' would make the numbkeys useless till the player resets them in settings.
Yeah, but AFAIK it's done with interactions. Not a big problem (I hope).

jrubzjeknf said:
Lucky shot? Then when you succesfully beat your opponent in the arena, some n00b may spawn in freedom? Guess not!

We could maybe have the option that you can choose yourself somehow.

jrubzjeknf said:
When outside of jail: can't, many jails don't have bars.

The way I'd seee it, with the crosshair system you'd spawn back in jail and have a certain amount of time to select a player. If time runs out, a random choice is made (according to the config options for bots)

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Might be better if hyperfreak could set up a list of requirements. There are many things we could discuss, but if they won't be used anyway, we don't have to discuss them in the first place.
@Freak: could you plz set up a list how things should be done, everything included?