To those who whined/complained about the LG going away...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
Imo, the lg (despite the horrible sound effect) > UT'99 sniper (way too high rof for the damage and no traceability) > Classic Sniper from 2K4 (just an abomination with the puff of smoke, and even worse, the bizarre additional delay on weapon switch).

Oh, and enforcers = much, *much* > than the assault rifle. imo AR just feels incredibly wimpy.

Minigun would be fine if they could just change it from being hitscan to being very fast projectiles. That way, it'd be much harder to use at range, and would be more of what it should be - a close in finishing weapon.

Anyway, just my 2.3 cents. :p

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Actually, the sound effect for the UT2003 LtG is much better than the UT2004 version. Same with the flak cannon. They sounded more powerful, like they had some "oomph" behind their shots, and the screen kinda flickered and jerked a bit when you shot, adding to the effect. Plus, the actual bolt looked better too. It was brighter, bigger, and made more of a fierce splash effect where it hit. And it had a slightly longer rate of fire, if I'm not mistaken. It was much better in UT2003, IMO.

I will be very, very sad if it's not included in UT2007. It's my favorite weapon both aesthetically and pwnagely. Rockets and flak are more fun and satisfying to use (nothing beats the satisfaction of putting a rocket to someone's face, especially when they're airborne), but the LtG is a great weapon!

/me cries.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well we don't exactly know the toal weapon layout. Things could change.

I personally think you people are just getting this all mixed up in your heads. Both weapons accomplish exactly the same thing. An alert player can trace the bullet tracer back to the puff of smoke and kill a sniper that way. I've done it before.

It won't affect me. I like the Sniper in 99, I like the LtG in 2004. I'm not going to lose sleep, regardless of what's chosen.

Monster Kill

If they turn the shock rifle into the LG I will be pissed. I pretty much only use the goop gun and the shock rifle. (Not saying that I'm bad w/ the others ;)) The lighting gun deserves to go. I thought it was funny to see a scoped m-16 amidst redeemers and pulse guns.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
Dark Pulse said:
Both weapons accomplish exactly the same thing. An alert player can trace the bullet tracer back to the puff of smoke and kill a sniper that way. I've done it before.
I'm not against the sniper rifle because it's hard to trace where I'm being shot from. LG is easier to trace in that situation, but sniper isn't too bad either. I'm against the sniper rifle because it's impossible to trace where MY bullets are going. It wouldn't be a problem if everybody had a 40- ping, but I for one need to know where my shots are going in order to adjust to the lag. Going with the sniper just makes the game more dependent on ping.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
m&ms said:
I'm not against the sniper rifle because it's hard to trace where I'm being shot from. LG is easier to trace in that situation, but sniper isn't too bad either. I'm against the sniper rifle because it's impossible to trace where MY bullets are going. It wouldn't be a problem if everybody had a 40- ping, but I for one need to know where my shots are going in order to adjust to the lag. Going with the sniper just makes the game more dependent on ping.

Very good point and also something I dislike about the Sniper Rifle while playing online. I'm really hoping they'll some kind of tracer stretching the entire length of the bullet's course from the rifle to the hit location. Perhaps something matrix-ish where you can see the bullet ripping through the air (I think ChaosUT did something like that, but I'm not sure)?

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
CUT had smoke rings for their rocket propelled bullets.

Anyways, any special trace effect will do nicely.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
anyone remember way back in 2k3 when the lighting gun first came out, the lighting bolt looked slightly different, like it was much more curvy and stuff... i thought that was a cool effect, why did they change it so that its so straight?

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Why not having a sniper rifle and a gravitation effect on the bullet that you could really feel at very long range (after a while the bullet have to fall down!). So at very long range you would have to aim higher to compensate the gravition.
And since I start to talk about the gravitation, why not considering the wind effect too at very long range! in some maps, we could have some open areas with flags around for this special aspect when it have to be considered before you shoot your bullet!

yes please, EPIC put all that! because i am such a poor sniper that it would not change anything for me except that i would surely be sniped a bit less as usually =D

NwS-bbanks

May 28, 2005
the people hwo usually want weapons to leave are usually the ones who dont even bother learning it. ut2004 has the biggest learning curve nad people getowned when they first play then they come here and complain to epic. i suck at lg so take it out that what all these threads say to me. as a flag carrier in ctf i cant live wiht out a sheild, those who dont use it are the ones hwo want it out cuz they dont want to learn how to do sheild jumps at diodge they just wanna come here from quake or counter strike and shoot people. the game is gonna lose all its flavor wihtout the dodges and sheild jumps and all that time practicing my lg and shock combos all a waste cuz other want ut to be jhust liek evry other game. bang bang your dead cuz i go tthe first hit, thats how most of the ut community wants it to be.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
NwS-bbanks said:
the people hwo usually want weapons to leave are usually the ones who dont even bother learning it. ut2004 has the biggest learning curve nad people getowned when they first play then they come here and complain to epic. i suck at lg so take it out that what all these threads say to me. as a flag carrier in ctf i cant live wiht out a sheild, those who dont use it are the ones hwo want it out cuz they dont want to learn how to do sheild jumps at diodge they just wanna come here from quake or counter strike and shoot people. the game is gonna lose all its flavor wihtout the dodges and sheild jumps and all that time practicing my lg and shock combos all a waste cuz other want ut to be jhust liek evry other game. bang bang your dead cuz i go tthe first hit, thats how most of the ut community wants it to be.
It's not that, it's the fact that Shields + Multiple dodges + Wallkicks = Insanely evasive action. The game is less about killing and more about NOT being killed - which was the direct opposite of how the original UT played. It makes the game a much slower pace, and not the fast-frag action UT was famous for. This is what people complained about, and this is what Epic's about to address.

Last edited:

PigBear

Jun 3, 2004
Dark Pulse said:
It's not that, it's the fact that Shields + Multiple dodges + Wallkicks = Insanely evasive action. The game is less about killing and more about NOT being killed - which was the direct opposite of how the original UT played.

And also a new way to play fps, i agree that sheild and dodges make the gamepley slow down, but on the other hand the rapid-movment make the hunter ,the one who is not fleeing like a chicken, move alot faster too.

IMO dodge+shield add "brains" to the game, even in 1o1 u got to thing a lot more then in... like Q3 .. oops.. that could piss people of.. doh!

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
hm whats this special jump that ive never done before... 'boosting' or something? where you press the direction key against teh wall, let it go, jump, and press it again, or something, and you do some big jump... ive never done it before
they say it used to work well in ut2k3 but they nerfed it in 2k4
also if all your wallkicking action can only happen up to a maximum jump height, you will need smallish levels for them to be truly impressive, right now when you wallkick through a level you feel like falling through empty space, but in maps like albatross and rankin , fancy jumps actually have a place in the map, and so if 2k7 will have ut99-sized levels (which were cramped compared to the 2k3 and 2k4 levels) then wallkicks will have extra merit, like make it so that people dont fall down so fast so theyre easier to execute through tight spaces , while at the same time making them easier to hit