Thinking of giving UT3 another chance...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Naw I don't buy that. I know many players that if you spawned with shock and lg and they spawned with a flak cannon, because they moved so fast and well, they'd be in you're face with a kill shot post haste.

Advantage quickness. In 2k4 movement trumps all. That was one of the big disappointments in ut3. No dodging = slow movements.

There is very much a learning curve even for those who migrate from UT2004. You should go online and spectate some matches and see UT3 movement. Fast movement and fast accurate aim are trump in UT3. Most experienced UT3 online players move very very fast. Better yet, check out the DM tutorial that is a sticky in this forum. Thas should tell you all you need to know about UT3 movement abd weapons.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=194630

It sounds like you never learned UT3 movement before you decided there was none. I think that's a pretty common thing. Peeps who only played the demo and decided against UT3 did this.

Your movement can also be limited by your hardware. If your computer is slow, you cannot move. The double tap speed of the player and keyboard are very important in UT3, if your keyboard is crap, you cannot move, and your mouse will also limit you if it has poor resolution or is just a cheap and slow office mouse.

If you want a test of skill, go online and play, see how many matches it takes you to get over 3000 ELO rating.

Last edited:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
reinstalling atm. If the two pub's I was playing on a couple months ago closed shop, then it's over.

Awesome game though. Awesome.

The DM pubs that currently have the most action in the US are the BeerDrinkers,the VOID, and the Gdawgg. The first 2 are usually pretty sporty with some really good players. The Gdawgg has some custom maps that are loads of fun, but may not fit everyones taste.

There are other nice DM servers as well, although not as populated.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I wouldn't mind playing again. Tried for a few weeks, and none of my buddies were on, so solo pubbing got old quick. Now I still play ut2004, because I got people there. The tdm pubs were fun, before I had to move, and the TAM pubs haven't changed in years.

I preferred the mechanics in UT3. Weapons seemed much more balanced, the EMP is 4 fold better than the shield, for many reasons, and the lack of floatiness was welcome.

I just couldn't run the bloody game until recently. Hell, even the "consolization" wasn't an issue for me, because it only lasted until you got into the game, which is where you spent most of your time anyways.