1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The recruitment thread

Discussion in 'Jailbreak General' started by tarquin, Feb 9, 2008.

1. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Whether you're already a regular on this forum or completely new to Jailbreak, post here if you're interested in working on UT3JB.

Let us know what you've worked on before, and what your level of experience is. We're primarily looking for coders at the moment.

(We appreciate all the hard work mappers do (and keep the ideas coming for maps, execution sequences, etc), but we need to make the core mod first before mapping can really get going.)

2. DannyMeister

DannyMeister UT3 Jailbreak Coder

Still interested in a hand? I know Wormbo is pretty much a one man show (He's been a hero of mine ever since UT's Who Pushed Me mutator :lol: ) but maybe there is something I can help out with.

I'm a programmer by trade, using about any modern language out there, but my very limited unrealscript experience has mainly been with the original UT. Jailbreak was my favorite mod out there and I'd love to help see this one get done.

3. h34dcr4sh

h34dcr4sh JB Mapper

More Mappers?

Hi,

do you need more mappers?
    I'm Interested to build (cool) maps for JailBreak(UT3).

I've attached a Picture from my current DM-map ;-)

Attached Files:

4. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Of course we're still interested. There's not much work for coders at the moment, since we haven't set up our code repository yet. Of course you can already join the team to familiarize yourself with what is being worked on and what is planned.

Mappers are always welcome. We already have a basic version of the Jailbreak code with release switches, arena fights and executions (no special execution view, yet), so you can already create and test maps. Feel free to join #jailbreak (or #utjb) on irc.enterthegame.com for real-time discussion. ;)

5. MephistonX

MephistonX New Member

Hey i was directed here by jay - aka - The_Head - as im in the process of getting some concept art made for him for a future jb level - just thought i'd say hi etc...

my portfolio is here its a bit broken atm but theres some stuff on there

anywho if your intrested im happy to help with any visual concepts etc..

cheers

6. Nereid

Nereid ・ ω ・

I can help out with some coding if you still want :)

7. aliam

aliam manun

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Looking pretty nice :)
    You will want to get in touch with Wormbo to be given access to the development section of the forums. I don't have a moderator-stick :p For now, you won't be able to place jailbreak-specific actors until that time, but don't let that stop you from building jails into a map in the meantime. Here are some things to consider for jailbreak maps:
    -Though CTF maps often work well in jailbreak, keep in mind that while an easily defended base usually means stalemates in CTF; hard-to-defend bases in jailbreak usually mean the same thing. In a nutshell: Jailbreak's release switches should be reasonably defensible.
    -This is just my personal preference and not really a rule, but I highly reccomend jails be centerally located in the map. This thrusts released players right back into the action, without resulting in what I refer to as "base swapping syndrome" where you end up with the enemy team in their base spamming their switch and vice versa. Jails need to be a reasonable distance away from the switch.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  9. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Moderator stick isn't large enough for this. This always needs admin powers. ;)

10. DannyMeister

Glad to have you aboard, aliam!

11. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

Welcome! :wavey:

It depends on the map and the game style you're looking for, but I think we shouldn't be playing many stalemates with UT3's stronger weapons. In fact, I'm afraid of JB becoming too much of a LMS game in UT3 if maps are too (or just a little) camper-friendly... Anyway, this is one of those philosophycal problems with no solution: whatever you do, you will not make everyone happy! :D

12. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Heh, well I meant to say (think JB-Crusher) that if the switch is too easy to reach, the game will never end. :)

13. PsyXandeR

PsyXandeR Member

Hey guys! Are you still interested in mappers? I would like to contribute something to this mod. I have small JB left from UT99, I could possibly use that one. My work examples are here. Let me know if you are interested, I'm doing my best to get into UT3 mapping. Cheers.

14. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Yeh we need mappers :)

Some nice looking stuff there Aalex :)

15. Fishbox

Fishbox Industry Noob

Hi guys..

Are you still looking for mappers? I need some mod experience with UT3 and would love to help out (signed up as soon as I saw this post - only just had chance to reply).

I'm a University student (graduate this year) and would love something like this on my CV - I've plenty of free time and would follow a professional process.

I'd most likely work with existing meshes but havge maya experience, so am capable of creating centrepieces there.

Link to a map I made in UT3 (no custom meshes): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishboxen/sets/72157603784247322/

16. DannyMeister

We love mappers!

17. Fishbox

Fishbox Industry Noob

Good to hear it!

If you guys are interested, PM me with some details.

Fishbox

18. Nakur

Nakur New Member

Any use for a scripting LD?

Hey, I recently graduated from the Guildhall and am currently pursuing a job in the games industry. In the mean time, I need something to keep me busy, so I thought I'd check out the mod scene and see if I could put my skills to use. I mainly consider myself a scripter, but I can do anything required from beginning to end of the level development process.

Feel free to check out my work and resume at www.danielpetway.com and lemme know if there's something I can do to help out. My professional email is in my portfolio but I check my personal email more often, NakurTheOdd@gmail.com.

Thanks for your time and good luck on the mod!

19. DannyMeister

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Check your email :)

20. [H3D]Pendragon

[H3D]Pendragon Teammember on UT3JB

Hello, if anyone here has played on a Hedsteem server, than I am sure you've played my maps. I actually didn't realize that UT3 Jailbreak was done, and so I was making it in DM by simply using Kismet to enable and disable spawn points in my maps.

I would love to help, I have amateur UT3 coding skills, though I am an expert coder in many other languages, I am still new to UT3. I can also make maps for you guys, that we know I am good at.

Additionally I can offer you guys a server to run Jailbreak on on behalf of Hedsteem, but the conditions of which we'd need to discuss more.

If you still want help making maps, that would probebly be what I would be best at. I could also easily convert any one of my / our 160 maps we've made at hedsteem into jail break maps.

Some of our maps include:
    • VCTF-H3D-ActionCity
    • VCTF-H3D-Beaver_Beach
    • VCTF-H3D-BorderCrossing
    • VCTF-H3D-Bred
    • VCTF-H3D-Caddy_Shack
    • VCTF-H3D-Caddy_Shack-1031
    • VCTF-H3D-Caddy_Shack_msu
    • VCTF-H3D-Chamber_of_Heros
    • VCTF-H3D-ChristmasMorning
    • VCTF-H3D-ChristmasTown
    • VCTF-H3D-FestiveRidge