The end of PC gaming, the beginning of an immense migraine

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
The end of PC gaming won't just be the fault of these increasingly invasive DRMs and SecurRoms, but this notion of stacking the bundle.

What do I mean by "stacking the bundle?" Well, since I just picked up Grand Theft Auto IV this afternoon, let's make an example of my latest endeavorer.
I've been playing GTA4 for months on the 360 so I've been really hyped to get it onto my computer finally.

Now remember back in the day, like waaaaaaaaay back to 2006 when you wanted to experience a new game, what did you do? It was essentially a 3 step process; purchase, install and play. Things are becoming slightly more complicated, but I think after trying to play GTAIV on PC that I've hit my breaking point.

By stacking the bundle, producers, publishers and the creators of PC games are finding it necessary to dump all this sh*t on you don't need and don't give a f*ck about in order to simply play the game. Let's analyze what happens when you try to experience GTA4 for the PC.

• Bought the game. Brought it home, began installation.
  • Ok, installation can start-- oh wait first I need to install ROCKSTAR SOCIAL CLUB because it's required to play even though all it does is let you record some game footage and use the multiplayer (things I don't want to do).
  • But ok, installed that. Now, the installation can start. Ok, excellent. The game is installed.
  • Time to play-- oh wait now I have to install GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE because apparently that's also required to play even thought all it does it let you more easily find friends during multiplayer (which I don't want to do). Ok, installed that. Time to play.
  • Oh wait, now I need to create an account on GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE even though I'll never use the account. Ok, created my account. Time to play.
  • Oh wait, now I need to create an account on ROCKSTAR GAMES SOCIAL CLUB because even though they said that it's only for multiplayer support, I won't even be able to save my singleplayer game without it. Ok, created my account. Time to play.
  • w00t! I made it into the game! And it's only been an hour and 40 minutes since I got home. Any other game I'd already be deep in the middle of the action by now. Enough complaining, let's configure and get at it.
  • Oh wait. The game comes with a built-in "PC CONFIG ANALYSIS TOOL" that automatically detects the power of your machine and will only let you change graphics options up to a certain point.
  • My computer isn't a monster but it's well above average. I am allowed to max out all settings but I can't even raise "Texture Detail" above medium, I can't set my resolultion to larger than 1280x1024, I can't set draw distance above 50%, and I can't even use the most basic 2xAA. The game won't let you do ANY tweaking with graphics to find the best "performance/looks" ratio because it's trying to "protect" you from accidentally straining your PC. So it locks up some of the graphics configuration options.
  • Whatever, time to play finally. Game loads, intro movies play, and I finally get dropped into Liberty. Nearly 3 hours since the game has been home. Except now it looks like utter garabage because the game won't even let me push 2xAA with crappy textures. Somehow I'm able to max out everything including shaders and but can't use my native resolution or quality textures.
  • Whatever, maybe I'll look for some cheats and just try to have some mindless fun. Oh wait, all this stuff I'm reading so far is telling me that Rockstar has put numerous hard coding into the game specifically to prevent the future use of any cheats that aren't built-in. And those are, of course, useless and will mess up your achievements and game progress (trying to get to 100%).
So not only can I barely muster enough confidence to play the game as is (which looks like crap and requires me to log in with 2 programs before I can get ingame) but I might not even be able to have the sort of fun with it that I'm so used to from Rockstar.

So thanks Rockstar, thanks Windows. Thanks for creating what instantly became the worst experience I have ever had, to date, with just trying to play a video game. Thanks for recognizing that video games are major-super-serious business. No one should ever play them with cheats, they might have too much fun. Only the most dedicated people, willing to put up with your multi-layered packaged deal should be allowed to play them.

Thanks. Now I have a new decision to make; return this f*cking pathetic excuse for a PC game to the store for some credit, or the much more gratifying breaking of the install disk in 2 pieces and using one of those shards to cut my wrists wide open.......

-edit-
ROCKSTAR GAMES SOCIAL CLUB defaults to starting up with Windows and must itself launch before the games launcher can even launch. Then when you're at the main menu, the SOCIAL CLUB launches it's own window within that which connects to the internet to display the latest "user vids." Woop de f*cking doo. Now I have lag IN THE GAME'S MENUS! Somebody f*cking shoot me.
scratch that, just come with me to Rockstar HQ and we'll shoot them up instead. so far GTA4PC is the sleeper skull-f*ck of 2008.

and you know what pisses me off the most about this? you don't, so I'll tell you. it's that they couldn't even be bothered to use an ounce of sense in allowing people the option of bypassing the unnecessary addons. maybe no cheats and unchangeable graphics wouldn't be so bad if I could at least opt to skip installing 2 more programs, both of which I have to now register with, just to have features I'll never use.
if someone wants to use those features, THEN make install some extra garbage in order to access them. if someone just wants to play the god damn game, let them freaking play. one, simple install, then play. this crap really is unbelievable. I mean I thought it was bad when VALVE started the whole trend (MUST install Steam to play singleplayer, MUST have internet connection to play singleplayer, makes no sense) but now it has gotten really ugly.

these pack deals will kill PC gaming long before some SecurRom issue does. I called it when I first saw it the day I installed Half-Life 2 and was required to install and run and update Steam every time I just wanted to play offline; I said this is it, this will be the downfall of PC gaming. Never, ever should you have to install/run anything else when you merely want to play a singeplayer game offline.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Yeah no game should be that cumbersome to install. I will stick with the ps3 version and my yummy trophies thank you.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I already called the store where I got it and explained that I simply hated the game and wanted to return it immediately. He said since it's the same day, and I still have the receipt and packaging that I may hand it back for store credit. Better than nothin'.

I just wanted to do everyone a favor by sharing this experience as early as possible since the game just came out this week for PC. You should avoid it at all costs and stick with your console version.
It's sad, but this will be the first GTA game that I won't be enjoying on the computer (unless some drastic fixes are made to the process).

Back to the X360 version for me. I'm going to return it now and maybe buy Fallout 3 instead.

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Man, that almost makes me not want to get GTA IV now. I'd go for a refund, and also send a letter to Rockstar and Microsoft. (Not a tirade/rant letter, but something explaining your thoughts and reasons for returning the game.) Snail mail letters are usually considered "for serious," so they might actually listen to you.

All of the review sites have been talking about how the improved lighting effects, denser traffic, and higher resolution make the game look a lot better. But, if I can't set it that high, how is that a selling point?

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Not to mention that it just proves once again that review sites are paid to give a game a good or a bad rating. IGN gave it a 9.3, not once mentioning the problems above, or the texture tearing, popin, framerate issues. Course I haven't paid attention to reviews for a while now and they have only been right on ONE game(Sonic the Hedgehog).

J112

Very Superstitious
Dec 16, 2005
Really appreaciate the heads up. I was going to get it but now i'll just save the cash. I'm seriously anal about unnecessary bloatware so rockstar can keep it. Glad to hear you got store credit for it.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
ok just got back from Terry's PC Supply (local store I buy my games at) and am the proud new owner of Fallout 3. I wasn't sure what to grab in place of GTA but I've only heard positive things about Fallout and it looks really slick.

All of the review sites have been talking about how the improved lighting effects, denser traffic, and higher resolution make the game look a lot better. But, if I can't set it that high, how is that a selling point?

Exactly. Their restrictions on the graphics options means you wouldn't even be able to try and overclock to get more performance out of higher settings if you wanted. They literally have a small bar in the corner of the options menu screen, and it shows the amount of available "system resources."
As you change graphics options, the amount fills up or depletes. When the bar is full, you can't change any more options unless you reduce something.

I played this game for all of 14 minutes after it was installed, and even with my pretty decent rig and toned down settings (I dropped the max settings to high/medium) I still had lag/FPS drop offs when conversations began or when there were a lot of vehicles on screen at once. This is uncalled for.

I told you this already. See? If only you had listened. :p

God damnit :lol: You should have posted that sh*t in the forums. If you put it somewhere, like in the GTA4 thread I guess I missed it. You're exactly right though, terrible, terrible experience.

Apparently, I'm not alone...
GTA4 PC problems abound
there's some funny comments below the story, everyone is having some kind of problem. Rockstar better issue a statement if they wanna' save face after this venture and they better make it sound good.

Last edited:

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
I already called the store where I got it and explained that I simply hated the game and wanted to return it immediately. He said since it's the same day, and I still have the receipt and packaging that I may hand it back for store credit. Better than nothin'.

I just wanted to do everyone a favor by sharing this experience as early as possible since the game just came out this week for PC. You should avoid it at all costs and stick with your console version.
It's sad, but this will be the first GTA game that I won't be enjoying on the computer (unless some drastic fixes are made to the process).

Back to the X360 version for me. I'm going to return it now and maybe buy Fallout 3 instead.

For the record, Fallout 3 is fantastic

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
Wow that's retarded...

what happened to the good old days, install, type CD key, and then kill random AI?

They went away when most publishers realized that even some PC gamers are dunces and just allow whatever shovelware that pops up into their system.

It's pretty sad how the 'death of PC gaming', as the industry vocals like to talk about, pretty much coincides with all the bull**** bloatware games started installing. At least UT3 gave us the option of installing gamespy instead of mandating it, but for example the only way to install BF2142 Northern Strike was to get EA's miserable little online store app.

Again, it's not piracy that's killing PC, it never was. It's the fact that PC gamers tend to be a little bit more intelligent than console-exclusive gamers, and they see this horse**** for what it is and don't let it fly.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
What?? No, PC gaming doesn't "deserve" this kind of treatment. That's a dumb opinion.

It's still the most pure form of gaming and the ONLY true way to play firstperson shooters. And clearly, GTA4 is an outstanding game even on the PC once you take away all these external problems. It's just too bad that it has come to this because it's entirely unnecessary.

You made a grammar typo? So you didn't mean to say that PC gaming was the most "pure" form of gaming?

I'm not trying to say you deserved to get all the BS you had to deal with when you installed GTA4. In fact it's because of reasons like what you experienced why I rarely deal with newer PC games. Because I've been there too. It sucks. But what Kaiser said is merely a mirror of a long standing PC elitist mantra that quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing. Anyone who thinks they are "smarter" for choosing to play a game on the PC over a console, well it's only fitting when they get burned. The nineties are over my friends.

Last edited: