TF2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Been playing a lot of TF2 lately, almost always scout, soldier, or medic (sometimes demo man). I love the scout's character lol. They really captured the tough eastern USA urban kid. The way each character in TF2 has a really unique look and personality is one of my favorite things about the game. The new "meet the scout" video is just a gorgeous piece of machinima too, definitely the best I've ever seen in a game engine.

New medic abilities sound good. Despite how crucial medics are to winning on a server with more than 6-7 players, you still get teams sometimes where nobody wants to play medic.

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Yeah, the current situation is giving me a really sour taste for the whole game. The whole thing seriously went from "just silly fun with a surprising amount of depth" to "grinding achievements" overnight.

What's also funny is how easy it is to cheat it. All you need to do is input the console command to earn *all* unlocks.

I just played a few games where the teams had 4-6 medics each. There was a couple of times where I did near 900 damage but got no kills. It's just ridiculous.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I'm sure the achievement grind will let up soon enough.

Man I'm going to be torn between this, FragBU, and GTA IV this weekend. Good thing I have no real plans since I have to be at my parents' house all weekend to watch my brothers while my Mom and Dad are on vacation.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
drug'em and stuff them in the cellar ;)

Good idea! :lol:

Actually, it's kind of silly. I have a 21 year old brother who they just don't trust to watch the other two who are 16 and 11. Plus my 88 year old grandfather is there. But they want me there. Guess this is what I get for being the responsible eldest child.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
Good idea! :lol:

Actually, it's kind of silly. I have a 21 year old brother who they just don't trust to watch the other two who are 16 and 11. Plus my 88 year old grandfather is there. But they want me there. Guess this is what I get for being the responsible eldest child.

lol well check up on the 88 year old grandfather while you're at it, if you see him come out of the cellar smiling you know he's been up to something :p

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
Well they've removed the console command so it definately wasn't an intended feature to be able to unlock all the weapons with a few keystrokes. Now the question is, are they able to do anything about everyone that used it to get all the achievements?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well they've removed the console command so it definately wasn't an intended feature to be able to unlock all the weapons with a few keystrokes. Now the question is, are they able to do anything about everyone that used it to get all the achievements?
They are, they know every person that used it. Thank heavens I was at work and unable to dink around with it :)

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Taking a break from team fortress 2 until valve pull their act together.
At first I'd wasted several hours unlocking around 20 achievements. I ended up using the cheat. Valve (attempted to) reset everyones stats. Fair enough. Easy come easy go.

But when I spent several hours unlocking 28 legitimate achievements the next night to find out those had been reset just tonight just pisses me the hell off.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
At first I'd wasted several hours unlocking around 20 achievements. I ended up using the cheat. Valve (attempted to) reset everyones stats. Fair enough. Easy come easy go.

But when I spent several hours unlocking 28 legitimate achievements the next night to find out those had been reset just tonight just pisses me the hell off.

oh so that's how they worked that. then yes i agree with you.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

Why did you do the cheat, then? They did this before with stats on CS:S or something, too. It's not like it's never happened before.

In general, cheating in an online game that is actively monitored is a pretty bad idea.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
But Valve never said anything about it being a cheat or exploit. In hindsight it might be obvious, then again how did they overlook something like that :O No one really knew what was going on, and after the patch the next day there still was no word on why they did what they did.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I changed my mind, these changes are an unmitigated disaster. Overnight the game went from interesting teamwork to servers upon servers full of people doing nothing but grinding achievements MMO-style so they can have the hot new gear which grants them an advantage over people who don't like to sit around for hours on end doing boring crap.

It's also going to torpedo team structure in pubs, because people will be less willing to switch out of their preferred classes with nice gear to play a class that the team might really need in a given situation.

I tried to play yesterday and got kicked from two servers for trying to play while other people were busy shooting rockets at the floor and healing themselves. I went through three more "achievement" servers before finding a normal one, only to realize that half my goddamned team were medics.

weeee.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
That sucks :( I joined a game the other night and it was actually pretty fun. I wish there had been enough interest around here to keep my TF2 server alive but it just wasn't the case. It's an Unreal community anyway :lol:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Actually I think the the medic craze has already died down. I played a bunch of different games last night on a 24/7 Goldrush server, and there was only 1-2 medics per team out of 24 players. Compare this to the first night that the patch was released in which 75% of the team was medics on the SAME server.

As for Goldrush, I've been having a lot of fun with it. Definitely better than CP IMO. It's quite humorous crawling next to the cart to avoid SG fire from the other side. And the ending explosion is amazing, with physics props everywhere! One of the funniest moments in TF2 was when our team lost on Goldrush, and we were presented with a view of the firepit during the pause before the next round started. And out of nowhere a scout, as if a lemming walking off of a cliff, jumps straight into the fire pit committing suicide. :lol:

I've been dying to win just so I can jump into that pit while the whole enemy team is forced to watch. But my team has yet to capture that last point. :(

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Why did you do the cheat, then? They did this before with stats on CS:S or something, too. It's not like it's never happened before.

In general, cheating in an online game that is actively monitored is a pretty bad idea.

I cheated because I'd thought the command was intentionally put in, and I was curious. Also I've never played or stayed up to date with CS:S, in fact I only ever started playing valve games when I got the orange box.

Regardless, VALVe have fixed the problem and unlocked all 36 achievements for the people that got reset more than once.