UE2 - UT2kX Texture Problem. An odd one.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Median12

Mapper
Sep 18, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
I have added a new Texture from Unreal Tournament 3, it was an .dds i think (?) but I re-did it for UT2004 (.tga to .dds) now and had no problems with it before.

When I saved the level and played it on UT2004 it appears in-game! It's very odd.

I delete it from my TexturePack, then a vague white texture kept appearing is the same manner.

Here's the pic from the same in-game:

I have no idea why this is happening.

Last edited:

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
The texture appearing in the distance seems to be the same as the texture in that room; it's hard to tell from the screenshot, but it looks like it has a bit of transparency to it which is a bad idea for BSP. Really hard to say without examining the map, but I've seen static meshes with final blends do something like that before. What are the surface properties in that room and on that surface?

Is that gray texture a stock texture? If so, what package? It's also very much over-scaled, now that I look at it.

Median12

Mapper
Sep 18, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
It is the same texture as the walls/StaticMeshes. It moves with you, it appears when you enter the room/corridor (the BSP is Hollow btw and not a normal brush) and disappears as soon as you reach the doorway.

It's a UT3 Texture I added to my Texture file in UT2004.

I took it and re-did it.. put it back in photoshop, (.tga etc and imported it, kept it as 512/512 and made it DXT_1) ..because I didn't want the shine from the original texture I wanted it in a flat finish.

It works fine on other maps, like with any custom Texture.

When I changed the textures in that corridor to a stock texture or even remove the Staticmeshes the white texture still stays there in that corridor.. nowhere else even if I haven't zoned it.

It's like a ghost and appears only in that corridor. :)

I thought it might of been the Powertube(s) texture difference so I took all collision off them and used a Blocking BSP to no avail.

Surface properties are I used Planar to align the textures and used middlemouse to enlarge the texture. I have other corridors exactly the same and have no problem with them.

Your right about the BSP problem because now in certain areas the map stutters.

I completely removed that corridor and adding another with different textures from stratch but the texture still appears there in that space.

I eventually completely removed that certain texture from my Texture file to see if that would remove this "ghost" texture...deleted the corridor and such but no.. after that a plain transparent white texture appears.

It's so annoying as the level was finished. All I had done was was re-align a couple of StaticMeshes in another zone to pretty them up a bit.. Built it, played it and bingo...that ghost texture. I might have to re-do the level from one of my auto-saves before this problem arose.

Last edited:

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
By surface properties, I meant the flags (mirror, portal, etc.) not alignment. Personally, it looks like a trim or alpha texture to me, so maybe just use it on the walls and make a similar, but more tile-able texture for the roof, floor and meshes.

But yeah, it doesn't seem to be a texture problem. If you want to send me the map, I'll see I if can figure it out.

Median12

Mapper
Sep 18, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
it's Pre-Alpha I don't mind re-writing that section.

If it happens again I will completely remove that custom Texture and make my own.

Thanks anyway jefe, it is prob a bug.

This is the Map with the problem:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24803373/Occupant17.zip

(Mediafire is playing up, can't upload there for now)

I took all the Mod's out. You got just the problem to see, same map though.

Last edited:

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Looks like you had some ballistic ammo in the map, so I couldn't open it without unreal ed crashing. Try deleting all pickups and weapon bases, then rebuild paths, that should clear them out.

Last edited:

Median12

Mapper
Sep 18, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
The map is clear of Ballistic Weapons/armor, it does say though about a Ballistic ipArmor after Build all that it's set to null...

I had already added another and then select all ipAmor, delete and rebuild paths etc.. to clear it.

I think the map is ready for the garbage. It has too many inconstences in it.

I have an older version and without the ghostly texture and don't mind remaking that section of the map.

Thanks for the help though Jefe.