Tech, anyone else noticed the changes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[alt.uk]YT

Dec 12, 2004
Don't get me wrong, i love the game, but one thing dis-heartens me about the beta, other than the bugs.

Most of us agree that the gunner is overpowered and can jump too high etc etc, but what about the tech? I ask you Tech players to discuss what i have to say, what i've noticed over the past few days...

The tech seems slower now, not only slower, but they can't jump as high, at all. I don't know if it's the whole scaleing thing, something seem bigger than they were in proportion to the player models... but the tech cannot amke critical jumps like, in the SunsetBeach artifact room, it has a hard time getting onto the platform with the teleports on, i can't jump from the floor on the artifact room in Rampant to the above platform with the window through to the vehical bay. Also, i can't make the jump on the cloud level at Alcazar. It's very frustrating trying to run with the artifact, and having to make several atempts at jumps to teleports, or falling on alcazar.

The weapons.
The shotgun - On primary it hasnt got the range it had, now all but techs will now say "wah wah wah it's a shotgun" yes its a shotgun, but most weapons arn't decided to be realistic, and the AR is annoying to use. Before, if you knew how to aim, with two shots you could kill a ranger at a longjumps with the primary fire, now you have to be practically ontop of him/her.
On secondry - Lets face it, it's nowhere as powerful, it has less splash, and the fire no longer blinds your enemy.

The grenades - EMP isnt as good vs raptors anymore, but then again, the raptor is a stronger vehical in this version. The gas grenade is much like the smopke grenade on the new ranger, useless, its thin as, it doesnt spread out much. I KNOW there were issues with gas spammers before, but i dont see why we honest players should have to suffer because of the odd lamer!

The turrets - I don't have a problem with them at all, i think theyre as good as U2, maybe the rocket turret needs some tweaks. My main beef is not being able to refil on turrets at an ammo resuply. Are we limited to one of every turret per life now? If we are, and that isn't a bug, it greatly saddens me, at least the option should be given to substitue one deployable for another, so instead of the usual, you could start without the rocket and forcewalls, but 3 auto turrets etc.

So, i put it to the community and FMI, your thoughts?

[[Vash]]

.:Player:.
Feb 16, 2004
Florida
www.nobullclan.org
As a previous tech and primarily a ranger now, I will do more practicing with the tech. The bit I did play as a tech, caused me to switch to playing gunner. You hit all your points right on the head with the problems. Each class has its tweaking it needs.

Dec 4, 2004
After playing as a tech, they just seem way too slow. I know the gunner feels right (even though some of their weapons need a tweaking), but both tech and ranger should be moving way faster. Weapon wise, the gas grenade was the only real let down I noticed. That tiny cloud won't be hurting too many people.

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
Ok, as far as movement, both Tech and Ranger need work. From everything I've read and have "heard", the movement issues as well as the jump distance issues are NOT intentional and WILL be tweaked.

Now on to the weapons. The Shotgun primary definitely doesn't have the distance it used to. It's hard for me to chase down a Ranger artifact carrier, especially against a good Artifact runner. The speed,jump distance, and shorter range on the shotty simply prevents a tech from being very effective at chasing a Ranger on open ground. Now up close it's entirely a different story. The primary shotgun is just as deadly as it was in U2. The char needs a bit of work though. You have to be extremely close for it to be more than a nuisance to an enemy player. I'm sure this has to do with the "one-hit" kill complaints I've heard from time to time.

The assault rifle primary seems fine to me but the accuracy of the alt fire is all over the place.

Gas, I literally said omg YES when I saw how they work now. The gas is perfect now, IMO. You have to AIM at the enemy now to do damage with it. You actually have to hit the opponent with the nade now, which is the way it should be. It does a ton of damage if you get it close and I actually don't feel bad about using that weapon now.

We all know the issues with the turrets and weapon selection so I won't go into that here, but it seems the lock-on time for turrets now is WAY too long. That time needs to be shortened a bit imo. In their current state turrets are almost useless.

Emp nades are fine as is. They still two hit kill raptors, haven't run across the situation where they don't, so I can't comment on that.

All in all, with a few tweaks here and there, I think the Tech class will be fine.

Richteralan

ºØmníºRadium
Feb 6, 2004
Oberlin
movements:
is indeed too slow.
and skill recharge rate seems the same. as in u2xmp, tech's skill recharge rate is higher.

gas nade:
it is weakened. It is NOT right. probably due to the per particle damage thing in ut2k4 engine, so FMI reduced the gas cloud spreading.

shotgun alt-fire: basically no use now
shotgun pri-fire: damage is OK and distance is OK(no need to reduce that in the coming patch)

Assult rifle pri-fire: firing cone became lager?
Assult rifle alt-fire: bleh~~

turrets:
lock target time is indeed too slow. and auto-turret accuracy is bleh~~

force walls:
too slow.

guess that's what i feel after playing as a tech in u2xmp.

what I feel more about the whole game is:
player model seems smaller and map elements are proportionally bigger. So there are many places I feel bigger/higher/wider than before.

Last edited:

Richteralan

ºØmníºRadium
Feb 6, 2004
Oberlin
fireball said:
I think that while rangers/gunners need all 100 energy to hack something, techs only need 75, whereas they needed 50 in U2XMP from what I remember.

there's no unit marking of skill on u2xmp's HUD
and tech need more than 50% of skill to completely hack a energy/door/anything.

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
I agree wiht alot of this, the AR is practicaly useless now and we need the blinding back for shottie alt.

Dubious

Salamander Saver!
Sep 12, 2003
Don't get me wrong, i love the game, but one thing dis-heartens me about the beta, other than the bugs.
Its Beta v1 - there will be others. Blatant bugs are being fixed first, fine-tuning after that.

Please hold your disheartening feelings until the later versions. Its much too early to bring emotions into it. :)

Last edited:

[alt.uk]YT

Dec 12, 2004
Dubious said:
Its Beta v1 - there will be others. Blatant bugs are being fixed first, fine-tuning after that.

Please hold your disheartening feelings until the later versions. Its much too early to bring emotions into it. :)

Yes, i've been saying this to FMI, concentrate on the bugs, but i had to speak up when they said in the next patch they weould further reduce the shotguns overall usefulness. Ok reducing the range by a bit is ok, but they really ned to reduce the splash, they go EVERYWHERE on the primary fire.

I'll welcome the bug fixes, but i think people should keep in mind that the tech is virtually a useless class now.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Everything in this thread HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID.

I will agree with the person that said Gas nades are perfect. Everyone was whining about how much skill U2XMP took but when UTXMP required real skill they all started whining about that too.

[alt.uk]YT

Dec 12, 2004
Can you do something about the splash please? Pretty please?!

It was ace in U2, the splash radius was just right imo. Same for the secondry, in this one its a bit more forward and a bit too small.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
fireball said:
I think that while rangers/gunners need all 100 energy to hack something, techs only need 75, whereas they needed 50 in U2XMP from what I remember.
I think everyone's energy drains almonst completely during a hack, the Tech just recharges really fast. So, by the time you look away from the energy or spawn point to your energy bar, it's already close to half recharged. Again, I say "I think", because I don't play Tech that often, and I'm not able to play right now.

Richteralan

ºØmníºRadium
Feb 6, 2004
Oberlin
Captain Kewl said:
The range on the shotgun is being reduced to the range it was U2XMP.

Right now it actually reaches nearly twice as far. :p

hm.....I never notice that....prolly I won't use shotgun as a sniper rifle:D