Static mesh vertex lighting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Is there any way to light staticmeshes without using vertex lighting other than going into maya/Max and making a lightmap? If there is not one currently, is there any way someone could write a plugin for Unrealed to light meshes as though they were BSP? I realize that it would take a very long time to build the lighting on meshes, but I think the result may be worth it.

rich_zap

Jul 18, 2004
Dissapearing into the fog !
YES, i just found out how to do this for my map and its simple, just go into your staticMeshes Properties, go into Display and let bStaticLighting be False. The only problem ive found with it is that it doesnt block the light from sunlight actors when the mesh is obscurred by terrain but it helped me fix some nasty Ued made SM lighting problems.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
well

after all , when you make a meshe in maya , be sure to have many subdivision , they are the lighning result on your meshes
and don't forget to manualy Triangulate your meshes before exporting them @ ued

i just started with maya , i have done this meshe not long ago , look at the ligning on it , it's awesomme

400 triangle on a meshe is perfect for a meshe of this size

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Baked lighting is awesome. The only problem with it, is that lower resolution textures are often use thus the final outcome is a blurry skin. Increasing the resolution fixes that but it uses up more VRam. The best fix is simply a better shading engine (Most engines just use Phong shading... 3DMark2005 doesn't, it has individual shading models per texture). So baked lighting when done correctly, can look very good ...

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
its not that simple. Baking everything is really hard to do and goes against the principe of UED (eg reusing meshes)
Next to that the lightmap sometimes translate wrongly in the engine (different color) and other crap, just doesnt work well

For experimental stuff its great, im doing radiosity lighting in ut like that right now but for anything more you are going to hit some really serious walls

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Depends Hourences. In the case of Chaos Engine where the entire map are built up with static meshes using this method is fine. How ever you are right that it does go against using the principles of using static meshes in the first place ... yes. The properly part is what I was mentioning 'when done correctly'. Although it would be entire possible to export the entire map -> 3DSMax and place lighting positions in UED so that Max can be aligned. But even then, you can get rather interesting results... with mismatched things.

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
The castle is CTF-Magma has baked lighting and sometimes that gets all funny... but another map (can't think of the name.... its like underwater and one big SM) has all baked texturing and looks great, no problem there though.

I've messed with it a bit and the engine doesnt like it when you mix a bunch of different things together, don't know why...