Static Mesh Roads

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jimmy_Guns

Feb 2, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone might be able to explain something to me. I am currently working on a project with a few friends and I am attempting to make the roads out of static meshes. In our mod we have included the skid mark code that you guys currently use in the Unwheel mod (our coder asked first before using it). The problem is with the head lights and skid marks.....When you drive on the static meshes that I have created, the skidmarks go nuts and the head lights get all funky too. I have tried increasing the polys on the track as well as going going very minimal (two tris) using a single plane and still have the problem. I have looked at a few of the unwheel maps(they are amazing btw) and tried to figure out how they were made. I have imported a few of your track meshes into our test map and have no issues with them. I then take the same car over to my meshes and the skid marks go nuts (I have also checked the static mesh properties and they are identical. I can only assume that the problem lies somewhere in my mesh creation process.

I am currently using Maya 7.0 unlimited through the college that I attend; I have the actor x plugin. I have tried using both a plane and a thin cube with the same issues arising. So at it's simplest, I begin by making a very thin cube (width=1360, height 20, depth 680). I then duplicate it, rename the duplicate (MCDCX_Collision for the collision block) and parent the original to it. I then clear the history and save. I then bring up the actor x static mesh exporter and use the triangulate function. I import the .ase file into the static mesh browser and use in maps.... I think that's about it, I left out stuff on texturing since this occurs with or without prior texturing.

Please let me know if you can shed any light on this issue. Thanks for your time.

-Jimmy Guns

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Collision models aren't requires AFAIK, changing the attributes in the Static Mesh browser will take care of it.
Get rid of your collision model 1st.

If you are using the 2nd UV channel for something, that may toast projectors and decals.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I don't believe thet are neccessary either. I never export collision models from Maya. If the mesh is a decoration, or simple flat road piece, I add one of the five choices for a collision model under Collision Tools, and leave UseSimpleKarmaCollision = True in the Collision properties located on the bottom of the static mesh browser under Materials. If the mesh is curved as a hill or banked road, I set all the collision choices to false.