Sound Blaster Z/ZX sound cards.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I'm still using a SB Audigy 2 ZS, it works really well for most things but there's issues with games: sounds looping, clicks and other artifacts. Even on the desktop there's some odd sound issues that I think a newer sound card with drivers made for Win7 should fix.

Basically I'd like to know if there's any noticeable sound improvements or degradation going from an Audigy 2 ZS to a Z series card in both gaming and music/general audio. When I eventually upgrade my mobo/cpu/ram I'll need a new card anyway since the new mobo probably won't have any PCI slots.

I use Sennheiser HD 558's 95% of the time and they're very good at picking up minute sound errors so I'm hoping that the Z would be a better overall card since it's been more than 10 years since the ZS was released.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Why even bother with a soundcard. These days, mobos have perfectly good sound.

I have to agree. On-board sound quality is really good these days, and it's not even worth the very tiny amount of extra CPU cycles you gain from offloading it.

The only thing better is a USB audio interface intended for production. With those, it's more about processing power (handling multiple incoming and outgoing 24-bit 192khz channels simultaneously) than signal quality. The difference in perceived audio quality vs. your average Realtek chip is not noticeable unless you're using high-end studio monitors that can accurately re-create a 192khz signal.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Aye jd I'm using a Xonar Phoebus atm but don't honestly notice much difference between that and an onboard Realtek, except when using headphones perhaps ;)

For the next mobo upgrade I'll be perfectly happy to stick with onboard myself rather than shelling out more money for little benefit :)

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
My current mobo is ancient, so the onboard quality is terrible and the hissing from the SNR being pathetic is what made me put my old SB A2 zs back in. I probably could just stick with onboard sound for my next build but can they drive sennheiser hd 558's? Do most new mobos have high quality DACs built in?