Skinning Tuts

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Helios

Keeper of the Ancient Ones
Apr 17, 2004
SyK0 said:
i was wondering if anyone could give me some good skinning tuts..

Check the Skin City forums :) There are some good tuts on the sticky on the Work In Progress section.

WorstPoolShark

Oct 31, 2004
yeah i need help with the skinning too, it seems like no one talk about it much here. i dont even know what to do with my UVs once i map them out!

The Helios

Apr 17, 2004
You know how to make the UV's for new models? You were using Maya, guess it's more simple than 3dMax in that way.
Besides, original UT 2k4 models have already UV coordinates so you only have to make the texture parts fit correctly in the body. Try opening UPaint and watch where do you want to put the details.
Don't be afraid to ask :) . If I don't know, someone surely does.

SyK0

Feb 1, 2004
cool i got the skinning down but how do i get the skinned model ingame?... i used Upaint to make it at UPP so how would i make it so that i can get it ingame?..

WorstPoolShark

Oct 31, 2004
yes pretty much, i need to know how to get UVs out of Maya and into a painting program, preferably Upaint. im not sure how to get the right type of files required for this, all i have at this moment is a maya scene saved.

WorstPoolShark

Oct 31, 2004
-Ok- it needs to be a UPP file, unreal paint project i guess. i need to know how to make my maya scene with UVs into one of these UPPs.

The Helios

Apr 17, 2004
Hello and sorry if it took a little long to wait. Yes. If you want to skin a model you need a .upp file and a psk to show the mesh on the viewports. Now, if you are going yo make a skin from an original model you can use File>Export to Unreal option to use it in the game. The application itself will generate the utx and upl required to see the model ingame.
Just check the names in the .upl and never use spaces (Like "My texture.My texture"). You will regret it later.
If you need more info I'm here :D.

SyK0

Feb 1, 2004
ok i got the picture to show up in the ingame player select menu but when i click on it, it dosent show up how would i fix this?

The Helios

Apr 17, 2004
This is a common mistake that has happened so many times that I almost laugh every time I see it... :) Really, you need to open the .upl (Notepad or Wordpad will serve) and in the part that says "Bodyskin=" and "Faceskin=" You need to be TOTALLY sure that the names are the same of the .utx file.
To make sure of this thing enter UnrealEd, open your .utx and watch the name of the body and face textures. They MUST be the same on both .upl and .utx
One last thing: never add spaces to the texture names. Also, I'm sure you have noticed that the textures follow this structure Nameofthepackage.nameofthetexture

So that's it. If you check and correct that you will surely have your skin running. If not, send me the .utx and .upl and I'll fix them for you (and add even more explanations :) )

SyK0

Feb 1, 2004
ya its all the same it looks like this..

[Public]
Player=(BodySkin=cust1.cust1Body,FaceSkin=cust1.cust1Head,DefaultName="cust1",Portrait=cust1.cust1Portrait)

The Helios

Apr 17, 2004
If that's the info showed "as is" in the .upl there is something wrong in the order. If you have a custom model open it's .upl and check the correct order. Just remeber to correct the order in yours. If not, send me the .utx and .upl and I'll get 'em work.

SyK0

Feb 1, 2004
damn i have tryed everything and still nothing how would i send the utx and the upl to u?....

The Helios

Apr 17, 2004
Find the .upl and .utx, pack them on a zip. Please make sure that it doesn't have more than 4MB size and send them to gatekeeper_helios@yahoo.com
That's my "job" account :D

Prior I analyze the files you must tell me in which character is based on the skin (Malcolm, Xan, Cobalt, etc.). But send them. Once I find the problem I'll detail quickly all the steps and "don'ts" of the "port-to-Unreal" process.

The Helios

Apr 17, 2004
Good. I'll check and be back in a couple of hours with the results. Don't worry I'll return.

WorstPoolShark

Oct 31, 2004
thanks a bunch for the tips, helios, but somehow i still cant figure out how to start skinning a character that i have just made in Maya. could you guide me through the steps in creating a upp file and then skinning the model assuming that we're starting from a freshly made model in maya?

The Helios

Apr 17, 2004
Syko: I have the file. Now I'm going to check it.
WorstPoolShark: I remeber I saw a tutorial of that kind somewhere. Wait a little and I'll be back with the info.

Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
WorstPoolShark said:
thanks a bunch for the tips, helios, but somehow i still cant figure out how to start skinning a character that i have just made in Maya. could you guide me through the steps in creating a upp file and then skinning the model assuming that we're starting from a freshly made model in maya?
you cannot do this, as was stated last Friday when you asked a similar question. the .upp format is UPaint's proprietary file format, it is not generated by Maya PLE, cannot be generated by Maya PLE. there is no direct method to get a Maya PLE model into UPaint.

if you have MilkShape (which can generate a .psk file that UPaint may be able to use), you might be able to do a complicated workaround, but unless you know the apps well, it would require more effort & confusion than it's worth, and the whole idea is speculative, anyway.

as previously explained, do a screen capture of your UV layout in the Maya PLE UV Texture Editor window (this will probably give you a higher resolution that the PLE UV snaphot, depending on your monitor settings), paste it into your image editor, and use it as a guide for painting the skin textures in 2D.

don't expect to use UPaint. it is primarily used for custom skins applied to stock Epic character models.

WorstPoolShark

Oct 31, 2004
sorry about being reduntant or annoying in my questioning, its just that i really dont understand how to do this. do you mean actually hitting the print screen key while viewing my UV window, or is there a special command that captures the screen and UV information? I've tried printing the screen and then pasting it in the painting program, but it ends up obviously with the gridlines and such, maybe you want me to blacken those out or something.

How is the game going to know where to put the paint on the model, after i carefully lay out these UVs in maya, if i screenshot them into a painting program it becomes a simple picture, wouldnt that mean the layout of UVs is irrelevent? i guess i just dont understand how this would allow the UV information to transfer over. Oh and i suppose i also need a program that allows for saving of the right type of file.