Simplify the stance and movement keys

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Feb 16, 2004
Demosthanese, you said…
“IRL, I do not have to go to a proper kneel position before I can go prone.”

I never said “kneel” once, that was Beppo, and he said “crouch/kneel”

Raising or dropping between prone and standing should not require you to go into a perfect kneeling aimed position, crouch means exactly what it is, your character is bent over or “crouched”.

Presenting a smaller target profile then regular standing, yet more freedom of movement then prone on the ground.

Crouch is a transition posture, used when you are not sure if you want to be standing or prone, it can provide a more stable platform for aiming then a standing posture, but it doesn’t mean every time you crouch down you are hunkering down for some precision marksmanship.

I would like to see someone who could levitate up from prone to a standing position without having their body go through a crouched position.

And you description of running in real life…
“Just push up and rock to my feet.”
Is what some would call a sprinters crouch, like is done at the starting line, except they usually get into it on purpose from a standing position instead of from the ground.

You also said…
“Your controls simply do not allow for that.”

They allow for the same speed, and are more intuitive for long time FPS players, then an array of multiple key choices, for example…

Player is jogging along headed toward their objective; they hear distant fire, so they press the “stance down” key twice, quickly dropping to a prone (this would be the same key that is used in most FPS for “crouch”, so anyone familiar with FPS would know how to go low).

Looks like the fire was not directed at them so they decide to make a dash for some nearby cover, they hit the speed button once, setting it to sprint, while looking around one more time just to be on the safe side.

Player presses the “stance up” key twice, springing to their feet and runs to the cover (this “stance up” key would be the same key that is used in all FPS for “jump”, so once again anyone familiar with FPS basics would know how to get back up, and/or jump)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
That is the way it works in Raven shield, and shince we were using that game as an
example, it was a valid statement. You said that system is flawless. I say that it has
many flaws. One of which is that you cannot stand untill you have finished the full
transition from prone to kneel, and only then will it let you press the button again to
stand.

You say it is more intuitive for FPS players. I say it is not intuitive for all. Yes, if you
play the Tom clancy games for years, then yes, this system will be more comfortable,
but in every other game, if you press the crouch button, you crouch. If you press it
again, you stand. Thus, the toggle crouch and toggle prone keys will be more intuitive
for them.

Rather than continue this silly debate of which key arangement is better, why not put
both in, just like many other games with a prone position. Don't force your key setup
on me, and I won't force mine on you.

I use ESDF for my movement keys so that I have many other satalite keys to allow for
more options. Some like the arrow keys, because it is less confusin. It's the same style
of debate, but in this case, no one is forced into an uncomfortable control setup.

Feb 16, 2004
Options for customizing controls are always a good Idea :):tup:

In Raven Shield, double tapping the stance down key drops you quickly to prone. However, like you said, either by oversight or poor design, it does not remember such a second tap for the stance up key :( which it should, and in my proposal I stated that it needed to.

Quote “Player presses the “stance up” key twice, springing to their feet”

Are there any other flaws that I have specifically neglected to address with the Raven Shield system? could you please list them?

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I would prefer it optional too, so stance up/down freaks will use it for their pleasure and fun and I would use the normal way.

I wasn´t that happy with the stance up/down stuff in Raven Shield. I couldn´t use that with the keyboard (I just couldn´t), so I put stance down on "wheel mose down" and stance up on "wheel mouse up" and it worked absolutely perfect for me. But I still would prefer then ormal way, cuz I handle that the fastes way.
I mostly handle this, this way: If proned, I tap "crouch" one time, if crouched, "crouch" again and I stand, works same as stand up (sadly not really in INF). I do it, cuz crouch is mostly on a very comfortable key for me.

And I think they is absolutely no problem in tapping "prone" fast enough, to stand up and prone again.

What about faster "go in prone" if you allready crouch? Ok, it is similar in INF, but it isn ot really faster.

-RoMe-infers

Nov 12, 2003
Paris
Visit site
Making it as an optional choice would be so great!

We would have the choice between:
-Press 'x' key for crouch, press again'x' to get up
-key 'y' for prone, press again 'y' to get up or 'x' if you want to go only on your kneels.

-Press 'x' to crouch and 'x' again to prone
-Press 'Jump' key to jump if you are on your feet, to get up if in crouch position, to get on your kneels (correct english? hum i knew ...) if in prone postion. (double tap 'x' to prone quickly, double tap 'jump key' to get up quickly).

Finally, about the movement key. I like it the way it is in 2,9.
-just a point, we shouldn't be able when sprinting to do a 180° and sprinting the opposite way..... not realistic...not fun....
-by the way, i would love a system that would allow us tu crouch gradually (wheel down and up? or with the mouse when pressing a special key? i dunno)...it's begining to make a lot of key :)...

I use T/F/G/H for movement key with x to crouch, w to prone, space to jump and its very comfortable ("azerty" keryboard by the way).

Last edited: