Severe LAN performance problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Junkyard_Dog

Nov 30, 1999
www.hotboxpc.com
When my room-mate and I hook up a UT game over our LAN at home, he has serious lag issues. Wether hosting or joining it's the same for him, but my machine rocks right along. It's a 100mbit hub with two Linksys Etherfast 100mbit cards. He is running a V3 3500 and I have a Geforce256. Also, we share a ISDN connection thru my computer. He also lags really bad when he tries a internet game, were I have no problems at all. UT seems to be the only game with this problem. Half-Life and OpForce work great online for us both..even at the same time. Any thoughts?

[OF]candyman

Nov 24, 1999
OHIO
www.iamapervert.com
Well I have heard about screen savers being a severe lag problem creator but i think the screen saver was running on a server not a computer you are useing to play on. Are you sure there is nothing running in the background taking up valuable system resources??

alien8

Run, you magnificent bastard.
I haven't got the retail version of UT on all the computers in the LAN here yet; still saving up the money to buy a couple more copies :\ . However, the demo worked great for us on our 10 BaseT connection. That's strange, I wonder why it wouldnt for you??

bullet2.gif

alien8
PlanetUnreal | ModCentral Unreal

lehwalder

Nov 27, 1999
slc utah usa
Visit site
this is most likely your problem, it as well was an issue i had. check to make sure that both of your IP addresses are on the some subnet, becuase if they are not , then tcp/ip is going out on to isdn line, to the nearest isp router( to find the computer not located on your subnet), then returning to your home> silly huh, but that is the way that tcp/ip works( which UT only communicates with). try disconnecting your hub from the internet and see if it still works(if the computers still see each other within the game find gui, then you are ok), this will tell you if your addresses are contained on the same subnet, because tcp/ip will only see the other computer without the aid of a router if the subnets match! post a response if you still need advice and this does not remedy the situation

Junkyard_Dog

Nov 30, 1999
www.hotboxpc.com
I made sure that both machines were within the same subnet-255.255.255.0, IP's are 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.10.2. I just did a clean install on my rommies machine, needed it anyway, and now everything is rocking. No lag probs at all. Must have been some app he had that was running in the background or something. I will keep testing, as he does not have all apps installed that he wants yet. I will post if and when the prob returns. Thanks for the help guys!

Roc on.

A

Status
Not open for further replies.