"SettingUpAServer" Questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
Som short Questions about Setting up a Server:

1. Will the server apear immediate in the browser list (~1h) or will it take longer (~1day).

2. Can I choose a port bei myself, for ex. 22300 or need I a special Port to be listed in BrowserList

thx in advance

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
I'll tell you what I *think* is the case, from what I've learned one time I lost my mind and tried to host a Rune server on my old 56k...

1) It'll show up in seconds. Just make sure you have "advertise server" checked.

2) As far as I can tell you don't really need to edit anything if you don't want to.

Scrumpy_Jack

made from apples
Jan 24, 2002
UK
bigyellowfish.co.uk
1. Will the server apear immediate in the browser list (~1h) or will it take longer (~1day).

it takes a few seconds if you have bEnableUpLink=True in your ini file. (from memory, so check the bEnable bit)

2. Can I choose a port bei myself, for ex. 22300 or need I a special Port to be listed in BrowserList

yup, you can

have a look at the admin page for more help

http://www.theadminpage.com

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
thx for the answers, it works.

next one :)

3) after a map vote, the server hangs. vou connect and directly after spawn you reconnect and so on

a tip for this prob?

UTProphet

Trial By Fire
Dec 8, 2000
tbf.clanspot.com
That happened to me on my Windows XP server when I switched from Vladivostok to DasBoot by mapvote, it kept joining and rejoining Vladivostok. Anyone know why? I lost all my players cause of this lol

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
thx. we took the .ini file from daddybone and now it seems to work. but the server often restarts ?! maybe a system problem.

Scrumpy_Jack

made from apples
Jan 24, 2002
UK
bigyellowfish.co.uk
from what i remember, you get the "server restart" impression thing when your server is loading a map that it's missing files for, i.e. texture files or sound files etc
the server isn't restarting, its just trying to reload that map, as it's all it can do. you join, but a split second later you get kicked and rejoin etc etc

your best friend on a linux machine are your logs:
make sure you are redirecting your standard out and standard error to something you can trawl through

you also mentioned you server seemed to restart at random, can you elaborate?

Jack

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
the server seems to restart at random. it could happen on any map and any time. maps and files are all there, so no missing files. its a rented server, but at the weekend theres noone to look for. i hope they will get it to work this week. the .ini is now OK

maybe you have seen the server online, its the GermanINFantry Server

Scrumpy_Jack

made from apples
Jan 24, 2002
UK
bigyellowfish.co.uk
when the server restarts, do you mean the actual Linux machine, or the INF server software?
if its the box itself, well its i different question. i'll help you if you want, but off the forum, and free, and while you sleep
(don't u just love the open source community)

if its the UT/mod INF server software
do you have access to logs?
do you have shell access?

if you have access top logs, check to see what happends, if its a seg fault, youre screwed, unless you know have to traul through core dumps
if you have shell access i can send you a script i wrote that starts the server again if it crashes

Jack

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
no shell access, and i think its only the UT Server Software that restarts. The Server is up again in 5sec. and starts with the starting map. we wrote a mail to the server company and now we wait ...