Server Browser is now too SLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
Hi, this one has got me flummoxed.

At work I am running UT on a Celeron 466 box running Windows 2000 (Server! Urgh) and just recently the server browser has slowed down to the point of total unresponsiveness. The NT Task Manager actually shows UT as "Not Responding" when I have the server browser open as it slowly consumes more and more RAM. The mouse pointer is virtually unresponsive. Yesterday I opened up the "Deathmatch" browser tab just before I went home and when I came back in this morning (15 hours later) it was 31% of the way down the list. Yikes!

I am running version 420 over a 2 MB link (off of our LAN) and didn't have this problem in the past.... can't remember exactly when it happened, maybe after I put on the last patch?

Any server browser gurus out there? Any ideas?

Thnx.

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
I mean reeeeeeaaaallly slow. Totally ****ing useless type slow. Should it take 15 hours to ping 31% of the servers over a 2 MB link? I think not. In fact, I can ping 800+ servers in about 5 minutes on my home PC (v90 modem connected at an unispiring 43K). I have resorted to gathering server names at home and then sneakernetting the favorites section out of my ini file into work so I can find a server :(

What's the deal here? Anyone? Anyone? (No, it did not work, and JuiceEggs sank deeper into his Great Depression.)

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Have you got LAN selected as your connection option under Preferences? It'll have something to do with your Netspeed.

If not, try an earlier patch :(

Sorry for the lack of help.