Schema scheming

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
Maybe it's an InstaGib shed.

Mass: Where are you thinking of specifying the adjustment made to a review score by users' ratings? It might make sense to add it up by the map info, since what's there now is somewhat misleading. Specifically, the Review Rating field actually contains the overall (adjusted) score, and that's at odds with the distinction made between Review Rating and Overall Rating on the search results page. Similarly, the advanced search options page allows you to search by "Overall Rating," but when you specify such a score, you're really searching by Review Rating (non-adjusted). The first step towards clearing up any confusion over this whole thing is to make sure we're 100% consistent in using these terms.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Sarevok said:
Twrecks your shed has bad flow and needs more z-axis

You mean ventilation isn't flow? The dogs are experimenting with different highmaps for the terrain floor. I did zone it properly "Not attached to dwelling" and "Must be atleast 4 feet from a neighboring structure on an adjacent lot"

Frieza

Sep 15, 2002
Holland
Visit site
Alright, theres something totally wrong about the reviewing system which has become apparent to me.

So, we are rating on a 10 scale system with 9 being the max. But the 9 can only be received by giving FULL points to AWE, CAST and BUILD. Which means there's nothing wrong about those fields at all, since 3/3 is the maximum limit. And I DO say Deck40 wouldve received a 9 or atleast an 8.5 on a 10 scale system, BUT I do also say it is NOT perfect on those 3 fields. See the contradiction? This renders me unable to give it the score I want.
However, this can be fixed by either:

A) Give reviewers the ability to hand out 10s
B) Change the max of 3 points for awe, cast and build to 10 points and then have it divide by 3. This way I can atleast make clear to the audiance that although Deck40 receives the maximum score, it's still not perfect by handing out 9/10's and 8.5/10s to the 3 fields.

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
I don't think that giving a map a 3.0 in one of its categories means that there's nothing wrong with it in that respect. It just means that whatever flaws the map may have in that area, they are so few and minor that the map still holds it own against virtually anything else out there. I gave DOM-Highdale a 3.0 awe score, for example, but that doesn't mean that nothing could have been done to improve the visuals. There are some creases evident in the environment map used on the surface of the water. But I didn't think that one mistake that many people won't even notice was worth deducting half a point on a three-point scale.

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
I've changed all (unless I missed a page) references on the sites that show review rating and user rating. They now show review rating, user rating, overall rating in a consistent manner. Overall contains the +1/0/-1 for the user rating.

Also, the review header has been modified to actually show the user point.

All consistent now Ironblayde, happy?

Last edited:

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
Very happy. :) One thing though... I just posted about it in the NC Staff forum. Please take a look when you get a chance. :)

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
I think changing the names would help too... everyone who is a regular here knows and understands what they mean (sorta) but NC should be accessible to the unreal masses, dontcha think?

as for reviewer ratings i'd agree, you can give out a 3/3/3 as a reviewer and it doesn't mean you are saying the map is perfect. you can still point out its flaws but show through your review why you gave that score anyway...

the fact that a map is rated at 9 as highest is unusual and again makes NC less accessible to the masses but, thats your call to make. a 10 scale (or even 100%) is more what people expect so 3s and 9s skew the perception from the get go...

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Most ppl (unreal masses) don't concern themselves with the breakdown. It has always been more of a reviewer tool for consistant scoring practices. Expect new names for NC4.

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
The scoring will remain the same because handling two schemas is rather hard considering we would actually have three... NC2 schema which was effectively turned into one score, NC3 Original, and whatever you guys would have come up with. Therefore, NC4 can have the new schema and the NC3 and NC2 schemas will be one score... easier to handle that way.

As far as changing the names goes, that is easier than changing the scoring. It wouldn't even be too hard to keep the old names on the past reviews and use the new ones on the new reviews. But you guys have not come to any consensus on the names.

The reviews header on NC has been changed to show a better break down of scoring and to be consistent with scoring (Review rating is Review total, Overall rating is Review rating adjusted based on user score). The schema link has been added.

Thats where we stand at the moment.

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Well, they seem to still hate each other, so I suspect they will start bitching again at some point.

I don't really have anything to say anymore, I'd like to change a lot or nothing, and since only a little is available, I'm kinda willing to settle on nothing until NC4.

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Oh well in that case, I don't know that we wouldn't just be refining NC3. Overall I like the 3 categories idea. If we were starting over would anyone want to totally overhaul it?

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
No, you're allowed to defend yourself, but from an outsider's perspective you two seem to really enjoy fighting, so that leads me to believe you don't like each other.