Saving games in singleplayer?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zenzelezz

Sep 5, 2001
Hey...

I was first planning on making a Deus Ex singleplayer mission set, sort of a "total conversion", but after a while now I have become quite unsure about whether I should actually go for making it for Deus Ex or Unreal Tournament.

For one thing, UT uses UnrealEd 2, whereas Deus Ex uses UnrealEd 1. For another thing, it appears to me (that means it is a big possibility of it being incorrect) that making models for UT is easier than for Deus Ex, since some programs can directly export to UT format or only need one additinal step, whereas Deus Ex seems to require you to go through many steps to get it into the game.

After 'careful consideration' (just needed to say that, it makes me sound like someone who knows what he's talking about ;), I've come to the conclusion that UT is probably the best game to make this 'mod' for.

However there's one important thing that makes me question the usability of UT over Deus Ex for this... saving games. I am planning on saving in-between mission stuff in config files, but I for one dislike games where you can't save in-game (like Hitman, though the game was otherwise awesome)... if I'm not completely mistaken, UT was built on Unreal 1, which means it should have the possibility to save games like Unreal 1 did, and I've also heard about people doing exactly that... however, I also heard that some people had problems saving more than once without first exiting UT...

So basically what I'm wondering is, is it possible to save games just like in Unreal 1 (using console commands, so I can code it myself), and if so, how?

-- zenzelezz

PS: this is a "cross-post" to Chrimeric's UnrealScript forum, WoD's "Ask a coder" forum and the UnrealScript Q&A (Yahoo! e-group) -- I did this to be sure I reached as many talented people as possible - if it was a stupid thing to do then please tell me so :)

Psycho_Leech

Hug meh
Sep 17, 2001
In the darkness
www.geocities.com
Somewhere

You can save games in UT, RTMS did it, but I'm not sure how you do it, it's in the console or something, it was on the v-menu, I think there is a list of console commands on the main part of planet unreal, on the side bar, above the hosting list, it mentions console commands, look there.