runtime questions:)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

senthais

Jul 12, 2004
Brighton, U.K.
Hello all!

I am a PhD student from the UK.

I have recently donwloaded the runtime which I hope of using
to make archaeological walkthroughs. Since I am a very very fresh
noobie on anything unReal I wanted to ask some questions (hoping they
do not sound too stupid).

1. Considering that I am creating my visualisations from a clear research
point of view, i would be allowed in the future to demonstrate the end
result to interested parties (museums, schools, etc). Will I be able
to conduct evaluations?For example, would it be OK if 100 people used
the walkthrough and completed a questionnaire?
2. From what I understood from reading the guides/manuals, it is
possible through triggers to alter state of objects during runtime
(eg change of a building's wall to a different texture). This is
correct, yes?
3. Of primary importance to me is the ability to have interaction
with other actors - would it be possible to create conversation
sequences and/or follow a particular actor?
4. For what I want to do, do you guys think I would be better off with unReal 2004 (and all the extra things) or I am OK with the runtime?

Sorry if they sound too mixed up, I am still reading through things.

Thank you for your patience:)

Maria

spatte

Feb 26, 2004
Sweden
IF you haven't already, I think you should try to pick up the 2-disc DVD version of the UT2004. It has got loads of video tutorials that will get you started very quick. Even if you decide to go for the runtime (which I personally find better because of the freedom when you create) the tutorials will be very helpful I believe.

Good Luck!

Psyk

Sep 7, 2001
Visit site
This sounds like the exact thing the runtime was made for. It's completely educational, non-commercial and not for entertainment. So I think it would be ok for you to distribute in any way. I'd say the runtime is perfect for this sort of project.

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Senthais, UnrealEngine Runtime is perfect for what you wanna do.......from triggers to scripted sequences and cinematics.......it's all there......however, as most of us are newcomers to Unreal editing it will take a bit of learning to fully use its potential......

Also, keep in mind that your NOT allowed to use UT2004's resources with UnrealEngine Runtime so I don't see it viable to spend your money on it, BUT you can use most of UT2004's tutorials over the net to accomplish alot of tasks......

Btw, I just started a new resource site for UnrealRuntime users.........bare with me as it just went up and will take time till it starts getting busy..if you visit the forums you will find some links to tutorials.....hopefully oon the long run it will become full with resources.......

New UnrealEngine Runtime Site
http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~prefablab/UnrealRuntime/