Revolutionary design elements? (No offense, excuse me if my words annoy you)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
Well, I wouldn't want to see them completely break apart CTF/DM/TDM from the vehicle based mods. ONS served as the gateway for a lot of new players and teams into 2k4, and although it took time, many of them have transitioned into the other game types as well (although mostly TDM & now TAM). So it would seem a shame to get rid of that all together.

Also, keep in mind that ONS as a competitive mod isn't doing any better than CTF these days, as it has exactly the same number of teams competing on TWL and has no leagues whatsoever going for it right now. It does still have the pub numbers, though.

I would also say that CTF in 2k4 just isn't as good as it was in UT, because they fumbled a few crucial balancing elements that UT had nailed perfectly. 2k4 as a game just happens to be a bit better suited to TDM (imo, anyway), where the advanced movement really helped (whereas it actually hurt a bit in ctf, because they then had to change the trans, which was kinda botched, etc.).

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
hal said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, moonflyer, but I don't think you played Unreal. From the way you are talking, it seems as though you may have started with UT, because most of the innovation of the series started with Unreal and not UT. UT just took it one step further, borrowed heavily from existing multiplayer games and mods, and did it better than it had ever been done before. It wasn't wildly innovative or anything. They just nailed the features that they needed to nail.

Now, should Epic simply repeat that formula? That's the real question.

I think that they should, but perhaps the vehicle portion of the game should be its own series.

It would be interesting to see what they could do if they released a game that had 50 good DM and CTF maps and gameplay to match. Then at some point down the road, released a game that had 50 good ONS and Conquest maps. They wouldn't even have to be compatible. In fact, it would be better if they weren't - then no compromises would have to be made for either camp.

To address another comment I saw about nerfing the movement = going back to UT. Not really. It's just that the exaggerated movement really screwed up the player/map scale and put off a lot of veterans and beginners. I like it ok, but I can see how keeping the same basic movements from UT2004 and increasing the gravity effect and toning down the crazy jumps would appeal to many.

haha,i played ut99 in 1999, and yup it was the first one i ever played, but soon about late in 2000, i played unreal1 and return to napali. and i knew unreal had mp too, and also the weapons like rl, stinger...but i just felt ut99 was much better than u1's mp. IMO, i considered u1'mp as the beta version of ut99, so ut99 was the indeed first generation of this tournament game. well this is just my opinion:p

yup, it would be really better if the vehicle portion become another series, focusing on large battle field and total warfare. or even combine it with the unreal 3's mp, but for ut itself, only dm and ctf won't be enough, this game need some innovational crazy face2face game modes to appeal the community

i don't think simply increasing the gravity will fix those defects like you can't move smooth and fast on slope or stairs.
btw, i don't like the collision/bump system of ut2k4, as a mapper, i have to tune the collision again and again coz even a very small collision bulge will interrupt the movement flow. at least, in order to improve the movement system, epic should improve the player bump system

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
ONS wouldn't be fun enough on its own as a game, the team based combat is kept within a DM game so that it reminds the developers to keep it simple and to the point pick up and play action