Review: UMOD Tool 1.9

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
[ Transcript of review for UMOD Tool 1.9 | Posted by Peter on 2002-10-05 | Score: 8.9 ]
Since the beginning
Ever since the birth of Mod Squad, I must have received at least one e-mail a day asking the question "How do I get umods to work?" The common reply is to install the latest patch for UT and double-click on the umod so that it self-installs. However, under certain conditions, this might not work for a few select individuals. So, my other remedy is to use UT Map Manager to install the umods. This has been the only two main solutions, besides downloading manual install mods/mutators if available.

Set Up
With the advent of Umod Tool, however, it provides another way to install umods. First, though, you will have to set up the utility before you can get it working properly. All you have to do is select your UT path so that the utility can install mods into the proper folders.

After that, you are ready for installing a umod. Select a umod from a zip file or directly. Next you should see some stats about the umod, such as the name of the umod, version, developer, size, number of files, requirements, and contents. Via the contents listing, you can select which files you want to install and which ones you don't. For instance, suppose you don't want to install the help files. Then, you can just check off the files from the list. Hit the "Install" button and the files should be installed correctly.

Other features
The other great part of Umod Tool is that you can associate umods with the utility. So, if you can't get umods to work correctly, you can just make Umod Tool open umods and install them that way.

In addition to that, you can create umods. This option is great for mod/mutator creators. I didn’t really care much for this option but it seems relatively easy to create a umod.

Discrimination
Umod Tool is basically for umods only (hence the name) so it doesn't handle regular zipped (manual) files well. However, I doubt that you would download this utility just to make it easier to install files from manual install zips. Instead, I'm sure that those of you downloading this file are looking for a way to install umods. If so, this is the utility that you should get. It should help solve all your problems with umods.

-Peter Yu