Remember Speedmapping?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Boplicity

If you think that you can fly, try it
Oct 8, 2001
Visit site
HA! I haven't mapped since 2002, but yesterday I opened up Ued3 and cranked out a map in a couple of hours.

1:It's incredibly fun to play. (tested for 1on1 play - excellent props from a dueling addict)

2:it looks like crap.

3:Its incredibly fun to play.

Its kinda funny, but I think graphics have largely killed ut2k3.

So - speedmap without all that fancy stuff! ITS FUN!

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
ued 3.0 can take the same amouth of time aus ued 2.0 you just never took the time 2 learn it.

i can work as fast in ued 3.0 with self made meshes, as in ued 2.0 with bsp.

if i have the time ill make a speedmap, ued 3 or 2, i dont mind.

/me remembers the old rules

atropos

The One and Only
Aug 24, 2003
Belgium
/me wants to kwo some more rules
That is if there are any more important rules next to the ones GringoLoco gave.

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
Not many rules.

We had 4 hour speedmaps, so try 2 make a map in 4 hours, but you can always change that.
you can map for any gametype.
some have advantages like ctf, you could copy one half of the map and paste in mirror.
but dm on other hand gives you more to learn.

it depends on what you want, does in have 2 be 1on1 or should it at least contain 8 players.
only dm or other gametypes as well?

ive seen singleplayer-speedmaps (wafflenuffly made one)
but i even seen a intro-speedmap once.

whats so hard on a intro speedmap, well try 2 make a decent one :p

are there any restrictions on texture/mesh/bsp usage like, not more than 300 bsp polies or not more than 10 static meshes in one room.

lets try and make a list between 5 and 15 rules.
and lets take it from there.

believe me, you should allready be thinking about a layout, how where why etc before you even begin.
this is a bit harder with meshes than with bsp, though bsp goes a bit slower once you placed some static meshes and start copy-pasting.

i could make an entire tutorial on this if i had the time lol.

atropos

The One and Only
Aug 24, 2003
Belgium
So if no1 disagrees, i will write all the rules in this post and update it.
Rule 1: Mapping CANNOT take more than 4 hours.
Rule 2: Predesign on paper or in your head is permitted.
Rule 3: Mapping can be for any game mode (DM, CTF, DOM, AS even Single Player) and in any setting (Egyptian, Nature, Industrial,...).
Rule 4: Maps have to be named like the following: DM-SPM-MAPNAME.unr
Rule 5: Copy-pasting parts of a map is allowed.
Rule 6: Player amount/size of map: to be defined.

-Thx to GringoLoco and Cursed_Soul

Last edited:

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
first of all, about that egyptuian comment, whys that? i know a lot of people use the egyptian meshes, but what if you use em so original, use em with your own made meshes, and make a good map instead of all the crappy ones out there, then you cant complain its egyptian right?

as for the other rule, makes it more daring, but id suggest to lose the 300 poly thing, and the meshes part could be forgotten as well

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
Well, i had ued2 in mind.

Cursed, until you make a really good map that prooves me wrong, I think I can safely say that ued3 sucks. It will always suck.
No one has made a good, stylish, playable map yet. Some have been close, but no one has and Itll take some time until someone will.

And UT2004 won't change that either. It will suck. Hard.

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
lol, if you hate the maps, try learning all the different jumps etc, makes maps suddenly way more respectfull.
and if you want one map that ownz cliffy and all others (imho) try neo-ducks DM-1on1-August-noon (if you remember the august-moon one we had in our bonuspack you know its gonna be leetage)

and you know neoduck, he doesnt stop untill the map looks good.
and his layouts are always superb.

1319-4.jpg

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=1319

if you dont like it, you just have something against ut2k3.
same will probably go for ut2k4.

i do agree that a lot of maps suck and dont have the feeling of ut
but remember its a different game, and it will take some time 2 get more really good maps.

Last edited:

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
It's a nice map - gameplay, graphics etc. are all good.

However... I can't help feeling it's just "Alpu 1.1"

No offence to Neo Duck.
(Which reminds me, why didn't you tell me you were making maps still? I would have beta tested :) )

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
just alpu? imho bull, it might be using some of the same meshes, but thats all the comparrision you have.
it doesnt play like alpu and doesnt look like alpu.

but on one had i do have 2 agree.
i wish ut2k3 was more as ut, but it isnt, and i accept it.
and from now on, things will lose their pc-game kinda look and go more towards realism.

on one hand its awesome, on the other hand, it might lose the feeling old games had.

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
lol, i dont feel like that, but then again, no 2 people fell 100% the same about stuff.

i do think the average standard maps should be around hourences/neoducks maps.

of course there are a lot of other good mappers with all their own style. but most of them need 2 work more on their layout skill.

atropos

The One and Only
Aug 24, 2003
Belgium
I think we should set a date, something we all could live up to, but not too far away from now, (before UT2004 release) nor too soon.
Isn't there going to be a holiday any time soon?

neoduck

Oct 18, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Shadowlurker said:
It's a nice map - gameplay, graphics etc. are all good.

However... I can't help feeling it's just "Alpu 1.1"

No offence to Neo Duck.
(Which reminds me, why didn't you tell me you were making maps still? I would have beta tested :) )

none taken. u still on msn shad? i havnt seen u on recently. or mabey ive just not been paying attention. yea, im still on the mapping scene, and always up for an honest tester like urself.