Red Orchestra is awesome!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lightzout

Infiltration Player
Apr 16, 2001
San Rafael, California
Visit site
If you're still bent about the 2.9 delay you must not own UT2003 or maybe you havent given RO a fair try yet. I have to say this because I havent been as excited about a mod as I am with RO since I tried Infiltration the first time. Its subtle how good this game can get. To be honest it didnt make a striking first impression. But after a few tweaks and having played the various maps a few times with good teams I can honestly say this is my favorite mod released in the last two years. Maybe its just me but this game has tons of upside and offers my favorite FPS action nowadays. Hope to see more INFers online. Any INF fan ought to really test the waters here not merely skim the surface.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
uuh there's no doubt RO is good. But it's not that good. Of course it's beautiful, but that's pretty much all. It's not really original. Nothing Inf or TTR, or DoD haven't done before. For a version beta it's really nice. But it could use some work. The HUD is poor. There's no way you can tell who controls what (like the flags in DoD). The map in the new version is a nice idea. But a compass would be better ;)
Otherwise, the maps are a bit too small and simple. It'd really like long range battles or mad urban fights. Their outdoor levels are too small and their streets too wide for me :p

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Freon said:
There's no way you can tell who controls what (like the flags in DoD). The map in the new version is a nice idea. But a compass would be better ;)

And this differs from real life how?

Also, when you show me a soldier from the 40s with a compass built into his skull, I'll support your request. The HUD should represent nothing more than what a person instinctively knows.

Feb 26, 2001
England
The maps are damn confusing until you get to learn them, so usually half the team don't have a clue what to do (very bad). The game also suffers from the usual legacy of UT sound problems, the positional sound is a joke, trying to hear where someone is coming from is almost impossible. Even your own characters movement seems to be coming from somewhere else :(
But apart from those problems, I reckon its a really nice mod, a nasty bug with the weapon accuracy at the moment, but that also can be ignored. Seems to play a lot better than DoD anyway.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
jaunty, i've never said it has to be real ;)
RO is not really aiming for maximum realism either. I'm sure a little indicator on the HUD would help a lot.

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
yep this "dance of death" looks pretty weird, much like a love parade between aroused apes... Nonetheless, when you play online with the right kind of people (means=not those who flood with delicacies like OMFG this is GAY, STFU u NOOB, im not spawncamping u SH*THEAD) you can get some interesting teamplay. Besides, the game looks gorgeous. Surely worth a go, in addition, Inf fans have an advantage playing this mod (i've been surprised myself to see how irrationally some players behave in this mod and how they are deprived of any tactical sense ;) )

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I need to try this game online, and hope I get on a good first server. It will make or break me going back to the game.

And of course Freon has only bad things to say about it. Mr INF mapper. I'm sure you are not bias.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
The HUD should represent nothing more than what a person instinctively knows.

For the most part I know which way is N,S,E,W. If you don't then you have no sense of direction. If I'm going into a new area and get to look at a map before hand(which I'm sure a soldier would) I'd be prepaired as well.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I've only got two problems with it. One, the scope bob should have the picture *in* the scope bob as well, and two, the guy in the game is more out of shape than a seven hundred pound couch potato...he can sprint for almost no distance. That might be okay, if the recharge rate on his sprint ability was decent, but as it seemed, once he ran out of sprint, it took even less to get him winded again. If you thought the stamina drain in the latest RAv2 was bad, play RO and suffer ;)

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
On an off-topic note, it's nice to see people using the acronym "RO" and not refering to Ragnarok Online.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Snake13 said:
*cough* eastern front *cough*
You could've fooled me ;) It looks and plays like every other WW2 game...the only difference is that you have the germans vs the Russians. Okay, that may be a big difference, but it doesn't feel any different ;)

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I played some online today. After playing, I think I would rather play BF1942. I hate not being able to choose weapons. I was always stuck with some automatic which works great indoors if you can ever make it indoors alive. You usually get sniped by some guy with a rifle. It feels like you aren't getting anywhere. You keep going at the objectives, and dying in the process. It really ends up being TDM, and INF has done all that can be done with that. Maybe if the weapons were random, it would add to it. So some guy can't hog the sniper rifle for the entire map. I don't know, with maps that large, it is nice to have a map like in BF1942 so you can see where your guys are, to give them backup. I can't stand to read through all the chat spam, and I hardly consider the chat to replace the radio. Since you don't have commanders and radios, a map makes up for it. There's also a few bugs too that make things deceiving. Maybe after a few more patches, I'll check back.