raise the size limit on the avatars

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by Flare123
how about 15k at least I think would be a acceptable number. if your modem cant even handle that then you shouldnt even be going to this site. just get AOL and stick with the chat rooms there. :rolleyes:

Its at 15k now so whats all this fuss about?

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
lets just face the facts here, modem users are being a minority now

Um ... In the United States, probably one of the most Internet connected countries in the world, less than 15% of the population that use the internet have a broadband connection (DSL, Cable or ISDN). That's hardly a majority.

In other countries, especially Europe, the number is even less.

Anyways, despite what Deepsy thinks, even my 300+ 10k sigs are less of a strain on modem users than one single 60-150K sig like some of them that are floating around out there now (especially all these Macromedia Flash sigs). The reason for this is that individual image size affects a single page load, and this is where the aggravation for modem users comes in.

Keep avatars under 10K and sigs under 25K and 150 pixels tall.

T

Terminal {DTH}

So, who started useing that avatar First Flare, you or the dopefish? you being the only two i see that have simular or the same.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
2 true

Originally posted by SimplyCosmic
Um ... In the United States, probably one of the most Internet connected countries in the world, less than 15% of the population that use the internet have a broadband connection (DSL, Cable or ISDN). That's hardly a majority.

In other countries, especially Europe, the number is even less.

Flare: It only seems that less and less people have 56Ks on servers, because modem players are giving up, one by one :(

anterobs

Fast and Furious
Mar 5, 2001
Porto Alegre - RS
www.geocities.com
Re: 2 true

Originally posted by [DsV]Selerox
Flare: It only seems that less and less people have 56Ks on servers, because modem players are giving up, one by one :(

Agreed. At 56k resistance is futile...

At least here, there were a lot of people playing Quake 2 with modems, when it was new. But now, if you go to an UT server, you'll hardly find somebody with a ping above 100. :(

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
well duh, thats because more and more people are getting it.

no one is telling 56kers to get lost. 56kers just arent playing games online because its close to impossible sometimes for them because of lag.

there where alot more 56kers on quake 2 because broadband was brand new and was only in a few citys.

on top of that it was real expensive.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Should we do a role call of 56k'ers and how well they play?

I sub 200 on almost everygame.... so does LK, and many others....

Sorry, but thats a poor argument :hmm:

ShockRifle

56Ker's have the worst lives...

I hate having a 56k but you can't get any better around here, I've never seen anything higher then a 56k, and transfer rates are usually around the 2-3k mark, I can't even play online anymore, I used to be able to but not anymore because it lags so much it takes forever to have the weapon fire once you've shot it, I got hit by my own weapon:p I wan't cable!!!

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
no one is telling 56kers to get lost. 56kers just arent playing games online because its close to impossible sometimes for them because of lag.

mainly because in UT, people with **** pings are usually considered free frags. you obviously have never played Starcraft on battle.net. most of the people hosting games BAN 56kers.

yeah, i still play SC somtimes. :p i would play TA if i could find a decent server to play it on...

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I play starcraft almost daily and yeah I hate playing with 56kers, they ruin the games and make it hard for me to play as well. the net code for starcraft sucks, and b.net is way over crowded and has far to many people on it playing.

blizzard seriously needs to start charging people monthly to play on b.net.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
they could charge if they want to and i wish they would, it would lower the number of morons that play and make better more stable servers with less lag.

afkik

Dec 23, 2000
Munich
Visit site
these forums load quick for me and im on 56k. I actually get a pretty good connection speed for 56k. I play UT all the time now with ATD, Fuzz, and other people that join and we play just fine. I am looking at an ISP for 7 bucks a month then getting DSL or maybe cable soon

Hellbilly

Fully recovered Ex-Evercrack player
May 6, 2000
Somewhere in upstate NY
Re: CHARGING!!!

Originally posted by ShockRifle
Are you crazy! They can't charge for b.net use!

I play on BNet also (can't... stop... playing... D2 expansion...) and if they did charge monthly, well, I guess I wouid finally stop playing it.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
I play starcraft almost daily and yeah I hate playing with 56kers, they ruin the games and make it hard for me to play as well. the net code for starcraft sucks, and b.net is way over crowded and has far to many people on it playing.

blizzard seriously needs to start charging people monthly to play on b.net.

Im sorry but are you blaiming bad games on 56ker's?

Flare, i have 56k, i cant afford cable so does that mean i should stop playing games just so you can have better games?

I think not.

sigh... i'll wait for a mod to hurt you before i do :)

ShockRifle

56kers don't ruin games. I've played some real good games and the worst it ever gets is when you've been playing for hours. I don't because it lags badly after about 3 hours but for about 2 hours it stays real good.

The only time I play ut multiplayer is when I have friends over, because I can't online, shoot and 1 and a half [I timed it] seconds later is hits. Ping of 750 is not good for games.