Rain??? It it possible??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stryker

Is it possible to have rain in a UT level? I know how to make a "water" or "wet" animated texture (using the Ued wave engine)that looks like rain is hitting, but I would like to know if the actual rain drops falling from the sky are possible. Thanks...

GetFried!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
I might be able to get you the textures they use in WOT they are damn pretty. Lemme look through the files for WOT (same exact engine)

bullet2.gif

{CG}GetFried!!!

www.crimsonguard.com
Crimson Guard Unreal Tournament Division
Chaos, Panic And Disorder...My Work Here Is Done.

*juji fruit*

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Check out C0mp1le's particle system. I last saw it posted at Unreality ( http://www.unreality.dk ). But then again it also only works on version 224 of Unreal. I don't know if C0mp1le is updating it for UT.

Then again WoT has a particle system that is very similiar. Great minds think alike? /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
I recently found out that C0mp1le is indeed working on updating the particle system for UT. When will this be done? Absolutely no clue. So when you hit a point where the map is done just leave it there. Go through it make sure it's fun and plays smoothly (frame rate wise). Then just continue with another map and keep that one till C0mp is done.

Ok, so it's not the best solution but sometimes it's best to wait a little for the good stuff.

Stryker

Well. I got the rain sound working and I made "wet" textures, using the Ued wave engine, that look like rain is hitting them (splashes etc). I still cant make it look like rain is falling though. The only "particle system" I could find does not work with UT. Let me know if you guys find anything. Thanks...

Rain is possible without the particle system... i had some in my submission to the ozunreal level contest. Made with a series of thin sheets that had a panning texture on it. The judges for the contest seemed to like it (and the lightning) /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Have a look at it if you like: www.unrealed.net/ozunreal the maps were called the Tower of Shrakith'a.

There were limits making the rain this way... it would have slowed down the game if used in large areas (poly count/ overlapping transparencies), also it didnt have that random spraying effect that the particles system is capable of. Still, all those months ago, and it looks much better than no rain at all /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Check out Chimeric the Unreal coding site for a tutorial on making rain. It was, I believe, the genesis of c0mpi1e's particle system. Unfortunately it has some performance issues as it uses Unrealscript to spawn and destroy lots of raindrops. It is very atmospheric and has sample code and packages. Perhaps you can ptimize it for your requirements until c0mp's new system is out.