Question million dollars: Can UT3 pc-ps3-xbox360 ....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
see playing online between themself?

I heard that xbox user is very numerous in numbers playing online...mean this a kind of reanimation for ut3 or so....?

I dont know if I can see a ps3 player or xbox 360 playing agaisnt a pc user because in PC version is ...I dont know poor in number...can anybody tell what's about that?

Thanks!

haramanai

Jul 23, 2008
They cannot make the game and the editor run in linux and you are hopping for cross platform gameplay?

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Is Gears of War cross platform?

UT3 doesn't seem very scalable either. For instance there ain't no way to get high frame rates on a low-end system no matter what they do.

I have also noticed that the X360 version stutter in the menus, it's almost ridiculous. Anyone else seen this? I guess things like that get zero priority since it's not a bug, it's not even a glitch, it's "just a delay".

Why break the cross platform compatibility when the game is developed on all platforms? They could have been done simultaneously.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Gears of War is not cross-platform. UT3 won't have it as well.

Last edited:

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
They played it cross platform during the game's development. It is possible. Whether we'll ever see a public implementation, is another story, but one I hope for.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Xbox 360 uses LIVE, while PC and PS3 use Gamespy, which effectively eliminates possibility of crossplatform MP on Xbox. On PC and PS3 there are other problems. First, as mentioned above, supposedly different gamespeed. There may also be other minor changes to the game to adapt it for PS3 that prevent the versions from being compatible. Second is patching. PC is about to move to 1.3. PS3 iirc still stays at 1.1 Reason? Every console patch has to go through Q&A on the hardware vendor's side. That's being MS for Xbox and Sony for PS3. Only if everything goes ok, patch is approved. And this testing is usually quite thorough. So, with cross-platform gameplay, Epic would have the following choices, besides having a headache to keep the game cross-platform compatible: a) release PC patch as soon as it's made, very likely breaking cross-platform gameplay until Sony approves the patch b) delay release of a finished PC patch until Sony approves the PS3 patch. Too much trouble I guess.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Xbox 360 uses LIVE, while PC and PS3 use Gamespy, which effectively eliminates possibility of crossplatform MP on Xbox. On PC and PS3 there are other problems. First, as mentioned above, supposedly different gamespeed....

I guess that separate treatment in loggings area seems created intentionally by Microsoft (xbox live, now free?...), I would bet Epic would like to see all gamers together playing or so if Ms approved that idea...Unless the different game speed has affected entirely that game I dont know if this fact is the true reason for picking that direction.

...besides having a headache to keep the game cross-platform compatible: a) release PC patch as soon as it's made, very likely breaking cross-platform gameplay until Sony approves the patch b) delay release of a finished PC patch until Sony approves the PS3 patch. Too much trouble I guess.

I'm afraid those problems could carrie to Epic discouraging in keeping debugging that great game, at least I see they are still working in a future new patch, but I dont know if patching for multiplattform will be posible...There are many parts involved in ( Microsoft, Epic, Sony...) plus their different economist interests...Doubt so much but dont bite me it-s only my opinion

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I guess that separate treatment in loggings area seems created intentionally by Microsoft (xbox live, now free?...), I would bet Epic would like to see all gamers together playing or so if Ms approved that idea...Unless the different game speed has affected entirely that game I dont know if this fact is the true reason for picking that direction.

If you make a multiplayer game for 360 it will use LIVE. There is no other choice. It's not like UT3 uses LIVE just because MS wanted it to be so, just to be completely incompatible with other versions.

$hagratH

Jan 24, 2008
well
im gonna buy myself an X box 360 this autumn
and ofcourse i will try the new UT3 game on that machine
and who knows,,maybe it feels so good i might stay in my coutch just lean back and enjoy a good game
ill get back on this later on:rolleyes:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Xbox 360 uses LIVE, while PC and PS3 use Gamespy, which effectively eliminates possibility of crossplatform MP on Xbox.

Actually the Gears live source and/or the UT3 360 source could be used to make the PC version live compatible as well as gamespy compatible at the same time... HUZZAH for next gen *sigh*

In my gaming utopia things are more compatible and the word "exclusive" is in the history of what not to do to gaming :)

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Actually the Gears live source and/or the UT3 360 source could be used to make the PC version live compatible as well as gamespy compatible at the same time... HUZZAH for next gen *sigh*

In my gaming utopia things are more compatible and the word "exclusive" is in the history of what not to do to gaming :)

Theoretically yes, but that would require either having two different setups for the exe - one for Gamespy and one for LIVE or doing a lot of stuff and hack-a-hack magic to swap the network services with the game running. I don't think that's possible - you can have only one. Also, look at what Gears PC has in terms of multiplayer and what UT3 on PC has. Dedicated servers? There's pretty much none for GoW PC, except, I heard, a few hosted by MS/Epic. And once again we're back to patches. Adding LIVE into equation, you must add about a month of delay to any patch and fix and you also would have to forget about betas of patches that are released by Epics. Also, LIVE presence might have affected on mods and mutators, cause these have access to the code of the game. It would have been quite easy to make a mutator that, say, unlocks all achievements in the game. MS would never allow that. So IMO UT games with their large content freedom will never be LIVE games.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah you got some points there, I was kinda hinting that PC could be logged into both networks at once and could act as a bridge :p

I think the biggest thing there is the affect live would have on mods etc, especially for UT3 that would be a bad thing. I dont think achievements should be held in that high regard, I mean look at what people do in TF2 to get them, pretty sure you could get access to the source to make mods for that as well. I know which games I beat fair and square and which ones I needed help with, so I think locking people down like that is wrong.

Live is a pretty big step in the wrong direction Ive always thought, while its got alot to offer people dont see the drawbacks because MS pull this blinder down over your eyes so you cant see the outside world. Guess Im just hoping now its free things might change alittle for us PC users, or not, its always about whos box is hot right? :lol: