Question about the Unreal UNR file

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Version(0.a)

May 26, 2001
Visit site
Assuming I zoned everything correctly, is it possible to use nearly the full size of the cube given to you by UT? Could I map out 36 full city blocks in one UNR file and as I said above, if properly zoned, would performance suffer?

I ask because I'm contemplating setting up a World based Unreal Mod. Where you would have the run of a full city in real scale. It would be a realism mod, and I would probly borrow/incorperate alot of things present in Infiltration(not without permisson of course) and would love to implement the vehicle code they are working so hard on perfecting.

It would be much like the online war simulation WW2 Online, but would only be based in a standard city. The WHOLE city. Eventually, I would like to look into coding the ability to "zone" from UNR file(seperate server) to UNR file.

Each city block would be done seperatly then imported into the "main" UNR file allowing several mappers to work the the project at once. a common zone portal would exist for each city block. I know the texture files for such a map would grow to an immense size, but would be worth it IMO.

At this time, I'm just looking for the feasibilty of such a map/server zoning system. If people think this is a good idea, I may try and hire some mapper and coders to help get it done. :)

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I think it could work but if it was too big it wouldn't fit well into the memory most people have, when you consider it has to hold skins and models, too. I also expect it would play very poorly. An open city would result in the engine rendering a lot of stuff you couldn't see. Deviding things up into zones would help but there is a limit on the number of zones you can use, 64 if I remember correctly. It can probably be done, just not well.

Version(0.a)

May 26, 2001
Visit site
Thanks Rogue, I thought of another problem also, the number of people able to connect to the server simultainiously would be really low considering the size of the area. Maybe with some coding you could limit the distance the server allows the client to "see" other players allowing for more connections *shrug* Granted, it would be interesting to play 24(human) vs. 8(replicant) player team hunter/hunted(Bladerunner type game modes) maps over such a large area, but over all it may just be too big for only 32 players.

Perhaps when the U2 engine comes out it will support a larger number of zones, connections and render the game world more efficiently. Time will tell, for now I think I may stick to working on it myself and see what happens when Unreal2's engine comes out.

there is a size limit that i ran into when working on what i thought would be the coolest map ever...you can have only ~65,000 nodes (i assume 65536) there is also the playercount problem you said though...

you could try making a bunch of maps, each a couple of blocks, and connecting them with warp zones (that what they're called?). to do this i think you would have to have a bunch of different servers each running a single dedicated map though, unless you can run multiple maps simultaneously on the same server. i don't think you can...