[QUES] How to change MODELS in INF?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bingo Johnson

Aug 14, 2005
Rio Claro - SP - Brazil
First I would like to congratulate everyone who mods for this awesome game. There are really good mutators that increase the fun factor and realism by much.

Second, I have a question. It's about models, more precisely weapon models. I would like to know what's needed in order to change models in INF.

I wan't to change the 1st person models of some guns and I don't know if it's possible. I can extract them from packages, but my knowledge in how to replace them and make them work ingame is minimal... For example, i would like to change the model and skin from the M16A4, how do i proceed?

Thanks in advance!

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
I guess You could do a mutator replacing the weapons "à la IWE" in which you include your own assets and animations.

You will have to redo all the animations and stuff if I am not mistaken. It's not as easy is exporting the model (which you can't anyway as they are mostly skeletal model/animations) update them and reimport.

If you look at chM16A4Assets.uc, that is where all the assets (model and animation stuff) is imported in UT with the #EXECs. Then you can look at the actual weapon code to see how it is imported.

Doing this will be as much work as redoing the weapon from scratch. You will only save on coding.

That's for the models. For the texture, you could try to replace the textures from within UnrealEd.

Bingo Johnson

Aug 14, 2005
Rio Claro - SP - Brazil
THank you for your reply, it was very enlightening. I was hoping that i could just grab the animations and assign the model parts to them, them import them back in the package, kinda like half life.

At least i can use some of the code that already exists i think... that would make things easier...

If i get time, i'll try to take a deep look into the subject

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
There might be a way to add simple attachements without redoing the whole job if that's what you want to make. I don't know what you want to add/change exactly.

But doing so would need some ingenious solution, which I do not have. But it might be possible to find a way. Almost everything is possible :)

Bingo Johnson

Aug 14, 2005
Rio Claro - SP - Brazil
Well, what i really want to do is replace some current INF models with higher poly models of my liking...

i was looking in the package structure and there were the "Assets" you were talking about, and some "animations" which weren't extractable with UTPT... my question here is: the Assets just point out where the engine should look for animations? if yes, can i use these assets to especify new animations to be used with the model?

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
The asset script is basically the script that imports all your models and texture, set up animation speeds etc.

So you need to create a new asset script that import your animated skeletal models (in other words, do your models and stuff and create your MY_INF_M16A4_Assets and MY_chM16A4Assets) and then do your own MY_INFc_M16A4 and specify, in the properties, the right assets.

Technically your shouldn't have to change the code, but it's not that easy. If you redo the animation, you will most likely have to change delays in states and events.

Of course you have to do that for every attachment combination variants. huge project.

I suggest you try out first with something simple with no attachements. Maybe a pistol or the FAL, G3, shotgun.

--

Regarding higher polys. Never forget on what engine you are working. The UT engine is like 6 or 7 years old! The rule of thumb says that the reasonable poly limit for a weapon with attachments is 1000 polys. That not a lot.

I do not know about the sentry studios models, but the inf mod team models are all over or very close this limit. If you want to have HL2-like models in INF, I would advice you against even thinking about it.

Bingo Johnson

Aug 14, 2005
Rio Claro - SP - Brazil
No, not HL2-like high poly! i was thinking about ~1000. You know, it's not very encouraging if you know what i mean, i was expecting something simpler. I took a look on the unrealwiki, and it makes it look like it's simpler than it really is...

If i ever get some time i'll take a go on this... Thank you very much for your attention and advice.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Well it might be easy for simple models like those in the original UT. INF is really a few steps (and quite a few) of the original UT game. The original game exploited only a fraction of the engine's power. That is why wiki could seem missleading.

In INF, just the attachement and skeletal animations makes it a nightmare. That being said, you still can try it!

Maybe someone with more experience with INF models and weapons could help. Someone like duke (good luck) or beppo.

But again, if you where thinking to do new "upgrade" the models to 1000 polys, that's what they are at approximatively.

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
Fala aiiiiiiii, bingo! Bem-vindo cara... vc é o 5º brasileiro q conheço q joga inf (os outros são o Rasalom e outros 2 q ainda não jogam online com os gringos), quem sabe um dia este número aumenta!?! Vc é de Rio Claro, por acaso fez (ou faz) computação na UNESP dai? Espero cruzar contigo online algum dia desses!
Seeelvaaa!

@ everyone else: Sorry to post in portughese, but I was so thrilled to see another brazilian 'round here that I could resist {;-)

Corporal_Lib [BR]

R U kidding Geo? Good luck, ppl say "the last flower of Lacius" is quite hard learning languague due to complex and full of exceptions grammatic and phonetic... Perhaps the "brazilian net invasion" is concerning everyone else...{;-)

First the orkut, then... THE WHOLE NET! XD

Gosh, what a thread hijacking... but I hope Bingo could help IMT or become another legendary "lone wolf modder" for Inf (Speaking in Wolf.. and what about Wolfe´s M1 Garand? Who has his beta version???)

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Thanks. I got no choice really. I'll be spending the best of January in Brazil. Eventhough I will be with friends over there, I'd rather have some portugese basis to start with :p

Protuguese would be my 5th language... :) You never got enough of those (although I have to admit that I should devote more time perfecting those I have... especially english :p)

I also have to admit that this hijacking is quite impressive.

And no, I have no clue what happened with wolfe's... he's doing the stranger thing :(

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
You do know you're not the only two Brazilians who play Inf? I know of at least 2 others (or knew, since neither have played for a while).

Anyway, back on topic, the M16A4 I think is around 1200 polys, so making a higher poly model that UT can handle is kind of a pointless exercise :). You'd be better off either making higher poly models of the older Inf weapons (M16A2, MP5/40 etc) or making completely new models - either way it'll need a bit more work, namely animation and code.

Corporal_Lib [BR]

I Know Ras...{;-) (and only, heheheh)
Good suggestion, Crowze, MP5/40 and the M16A2 reaaally need a "cosmetic surgery", when I first played INF I disliked a lot the MP5 "low polyness" and that strange "M" backsight... improving its silhouette and sking would be sweet!
@Geo: have a nive trip! I suggest a tour at "Bonito" ecological (but open to turists) reserv, "Porto das Galinhas" beach, Fernando de Noronha Island and if you want a busy nightlife (just like NY) come to São Paulo (our megalopolis)!!!!