Preview: INF-Caqueta][.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
[I think the forest should be closer to the target, so it is easier to defend] (hmm, I thought about it, in fact it would be worse to defend :D ), I'd like it, if the attackers would first have to clean the forest around the target and then enter the target (while some people covering their backs :) ).
What will be the target? CD?
I'm not sure, but I think only getting the CD would be too easy, once you have killed the defense you could rush back home over the bridge, noone could ever reach you, because of the blocking trees.
So please make an additional target IN the house, like the attackers have to crack the door of the room, where the CD is in, so that the defenders win some time to regroup - maybe set some ambushes ... .
The building MUST be easy to defend, otherwise it is just a meeting in the middle of the map, as stated above.

If you consider making this map bigger, please make the building a "second" target, I mean you would have first take this building (press a trigger or whatever) to open something so that you can move on ... :)

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Have you thought about making the some of the trees and all of the foilage in them non solid? You could just use block all for the round trees (I assume there are some :| ) Or maybe make the canopy one huge and undetailed terrain flipped upside down? Sure, the top may look fake..but who is going to see it besides a ghost?

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Yes, I considered the terrain thing. Wouldn't work that well because I've got multiple levels of foliage [you can see that well on the first screenshot] and I want to have the occasional 'hole' in the treetops to allow for more interesting lighting. It's rather dark [for a daytime map] under the trees and I kind of like the lighting effects in the clearings.

I won't make the map any bigger, simply because I'd have to redo the whole terrain again [you can't just new bits on the edges when it's already smoothed]. However, I'd love to add a second objective [not in the target building though] so keep the ideas coming. Realistic ideas, that is. ;)

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
How about removing that river? All it does is make crossing impossible without being killed. And if you kill everyone on the other side so you could cross, what would be the point? They are all dead! Plus adding in some trees there may help keep polies down...dunno.

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
I think you should add a bunch of the little bush things that you can crawl through without being seen. It would allow attackers to approach the bridge without being seen if they crawl. It'd also work out in the water so attackers can now swim across without being seen but will be heard.

I'm thinking it'd add a lot to the crawling infiltration type theme if the map is a night map and the target installation has searchlights on the top and M2s near the lights (that scan the river to discourage crossing that way.)

w00p

Windows at its best
Nah, the river should stay...
Though a small island in the middle would be kewl.
Maybe a few tree's on it would help the crossing and give cover for when you wish to fire from on the patch of land. The boat hasto be slightly higher though.
I noticed it in the orginial caqueta. You can see the water just above the boats bottom itself. (I mean the one in the little boathouse)

edit: oooh, I just got this great thought. How about making a corner or so of it a sorta swamp so you can't see the soldier swim/wade, but you can hear him, and if you observe good, a good sniper can estimate his position and give a shot, but it would still be a big guess...

Last edited:

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
put some trees at select river crossings so there is cover. then make some sections of the river shallower than others so players can walk across rather than swim. Those are my suggestions anyway. And the map looks fun, although a bit simple objective wise.

Spooger

Dec 16, 2003
That's a waste of time, do it one way, whatever way you like. You will never please everyone all of he time.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
ecale3 said:
And the map looks fun, although a bit simple objective wise.

Thought the same about the objectives. The CaquetaWoods version of the map [where the lake is replaced by more trees] will probably feature a mission setup similar to Road to Kandahar. If anybody has other ideas for mission objectives that make sense and don't require a lot of re-mapping existing areas, let me know.

w00p

Windows at its best
hmm.
Just prevent it from being a laptop-CD mission, if you realy want a CD, do something original with it... ;)

Like having the laptop at the attackers spawn, with it being their task to get the (virus infected) CD into an extraction zone wich is exactly in front of the CD drive of some main computer or so. Or replacing CD's.
Bring your virus infected CD to the research center and steal the real one.
and if possible, do something with sabotaging the way tuscany does it, pressing and holding use key to get a certain effect...

As for the rest, be creative. Surprise us! ;)

Saladin said:
dude, the trees look like they came from mario, you know that level, where youre in the sky, and thres those tall trees.....yeah....
Actually, they look crappy and strange, indeed, but walk through them and tell me you've seen better forest-feeling maps... ;)
There may be exceptions, simply because some maps are 100% forest maps and therefor allow some more additions, but as for normal INF maps, this has the best forest feel to it. Taking away the tree's may make it *look* a bit better for when you're NOT under the tree's, but when you're under the tree's, the feel would be gone.

And whoever said they're simplistic, look at other maps...
These tree's are made out of brushes, tesselated cubes to be exact. Lot of work making em, lot of work making em HOM-free. All other tree's ever seen in INF maps however, require you to go to your actor browser, search the right tree, right-click and place other modelers work.

Simplistic? Haha, you should think about whats involved. ;)

Last edited:

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
tesselated brushes are the evil, they made a bsp hell out of china2 after all :eek:

ps: i have posted a link to a few test textures in our forum, you might give them a try. if you like them i can do a few more. if they suck major ass tell me so i can do some other stuff :p

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Thanks to Fist's textures, Caqueta got a new look now:

Attachments

• caquetanewtex1.jpg
    caquetanewtex1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 13
  • caquetanewtex2.jpg
    caquetanewtex2.jpg